Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Running Clock rule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone heard about this? This was the first I've heard of this.

The old rule: 45 points from the start of the 3rd quarter or anytime in the 3rd once 45 points is reached.

Now: once 36 points is reached it will be a running clock. In any quarter.

http://khsaa.org/81213-reminder-about-fo...procedure/

http://khsaa.org/running-clock-provision...s-of-play/

Thoughts?
I think its ridicolous to be quite honest.
I dont think there should be a running clock period. If a team can score 200, let them. The other team needs to get better or quit.
I think it should be large difference in score i.e. 36-6 I can see it, 36-28 don't think is quite fair.
^
Thats not what it means.
Once a team is UP by 36 points, the running clock starts, not once a team reaches 36.
Thanks for straighten that out..I didn't think that sounded right
Ok..question then...if a team is up by 36 and then the other team closes the gap to lets say 22, do they resort back to normal clock?
So does this help a fast pace offence?

Would the goal be now to just get 36 points so the other team has to also think about the clock, even in the first quarter/half now?
lpd826 Wrote:Ok..question then...if a team is up by 36 and then the other team closes the gap to lets say 22, do they resort back to normal clock?

No. Once the rule go into effect, its for the rest of the game
so if a team is up 36-0 at half and other team comes out second half and returns kick off scores, then on sides then scores again making it 36-16 and only used 3:00 minutes off clock doesn't seem fair to not resort back to normal clock and give them a fair chance.
lpd826 Wrote:so if a team is up 36-0 at half and other team comes out second half and returns kick off scores, then on sides then scores again making it 36-16 and only used 3:00 minutes off clock doesn't seem fair to not resort back to normal clock and give them a fair chance.

If team A. is up 36-0 on Team B. in the first quarter the running clock will start. So at any point once Team A is up by 36 the Clock will run.

Thats how I am reading it from Khsaa site.
^
As with most rules, its a stupid one.
There shouldnt be a running clock period, especially in football.
Only 10 regular season games and it prevents teams from potentailly breaking records.

If a team is getting beat that bad its all on the coachesfault for scheduling the better team.
I agree with ya now that I have read more about it. Never even took in the records, but that would hinder a lot from having as much time as others did in the past. Also take in the fact of a players portfolio when applying to colleges, a 1200 yard runner looks better than a 850 runner.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
As with most rules, its a stupid one.
There shouldnt be a running clock period, especially in football.
Only 10 regular season games and it prevents teams from potentailly breaking records.

If a team is getting beat that bad its all on the coachesfault for scheduling the better team.

That is the same thing I was thinking. What are the chances of seeing 60 70 or 80 points in a game. And if they do now, are they running up the score?
I've talked to a lot of college coaches in 30 years of covering high school football and I've not met one yet who based his decision at all on a player's stats.
He'll go on what he sees, usually on film, or look at speed, strength, size.
If someone is up 36-0 why would a star player still be in the game anyway?

When the game is out of hand late it usually does everyone a favor to get it over, at least from what I've seen.
I think the running clock rule is the greatest rule KHSAA ever came up with. Trying doing a 56 -6 game on radio and make it sound interesting as the trailing team throws three straight incompletions!!!! I think 36 points is kind of questionable, I'd feel more comfortable with 42. But I am a HUGE FAN of the running clock. The chances for a comeback are slim, not impossible, but slim and just need to put an end to the suffering as soon as possible.
I like the rule but 42 sounds better. If a team goes up by 36 and the other team scores, then the clock will start stoping again. I think that is right...
Anyway...some coaches will try to get up by 36 at the half...This will increase the number of coaches trying to run the score up. I have been on both sides of this rule. I'll tell you what, when you are down that many, you want the clock to run and get the hell out of dodge...

Only bad part, there is not enough time to get kids into a game. Any coach, and I know several, will leave there starters in after getting up by 36 and yes, pad those stats...
36 points is too low. Teams like Highlands can go up by 36 in the 1st quarter. Blowouts usually mean playing time for the JV players on both sides. Not anymore. There will be a lot of 30 minute games. People won't even stick around for halftime. Why can't that wonderful organization known as the KHSAA just leave football alone for awhile. I think this is a rule that will be changed in the future. I sure hope so.
There are not many football Friday nights every year. Why make them any shorter? It is a social event. No one wants to travel and then watch a one hour game. It was fine the way it was, and I would have been fine if it was upped to 50 points. Like AP said, this could be valuable time for JV players.
I don't understand why they messed with this. The coaches could already agree to start it running at any point if they wanted to. We use the later parts of blowout games to get our jv some experience. They need to look back at 1998 aa state championship. Danville had Caldwell down I think 28 in the 4th and Danville lost. It can happen
This running clock is gutless BS. I can't say what I really think about it! Soon these goofballs are going to completely destroy the game!
Why can't the KHSAA adopt the "NFHS" rule?

The National Federation of HS Football Rule 3-1-2 (Mercy Rule); Beginning in the second half, if the point differential is 35 points or more, a continuous clock will be used. The clock will only stop for charged time-outs, injuries, and scores. The try will always be an un-timed down. The clock shall start when the ball is kicked on the kickoff. If the point differential goes below 35 points, go back to regular timing rules.

This is what Tennessee uses. Ohio and Indiana have no mercy rule in football.
running clock is a joke sometime when it rain it pour by accident. :truestory:
The biggest problem I have with it is the fact that you dont have a chance to play your young guys as much that work hard everyday in practice with a running clock.
thsrocks Wrote:Why can't the KHSAA adopt the "NFHS" rule?

The National Federation of HS Football Rule 3-1-2 (Mercy Rule); Beginning in the second half, if the point differential is 35 points or more, a continuous clock will be used. The clock will only stop for charged time-outs, injuries, and scores. The try will always be an un-timed down. The clock shall start when the ball is kicked on the kickoff. If the point differential goes below 35 points, go back to regular timing rules.

This is what Tennessee uses. Ohio and Indiana have no mercy rule in football.

Now this would make too much since for the state of ky to adopt such a rule.
The refs love this rule. That is who I found out about it from. They get paid the same and get home in time to watch the news. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old rule. This is was a knee jerk reaction to all these old timers getting on these forums a complaining about the blowouts.
Should help in the 1st round of the playoffs...
I like the rule. Not sure I like it dropped to 36 but there definitely needs to be a running clock rule. No one likes being blown out. Not the players, coaches, officials, parents or fans. The quicker the game is over the better for everyone involved. Players on the losing in are obvious out matched and this will prevent injuries. On the flip side why get a key player injured for the team who is up 40+. The change has nothing to do with people getting on these forums and complaining about blowouts. It’s all geared around safety and injury prevention. As far as getting the younger guys playing time, that’s what Monday night jv games and Thursday night freshmen games are for. If you have a good program with a lot of kids there’s no reason you can't fill a 10 game schedule for both freshmen and jv. When I saw the topic thread I thought for sure everyone would like the change. Blows my mind how many people and the silly responses that are against it.
We call this the "Knott Central rule" around these parts
I can see the need of a running clock, but I to think that 36 points is too low like it at 42. But again khsaa has went overboard again.
UpYours Wrote:I like the rule. Not sure I like it dropped to 36 but there definitely needs to be a running clock rule. No one likes being blown out. Not the players, coaches, officials, parents or fans. The quicker the game is over the better for everyone involved. Players on the losing in are obvious out matched and this will prevent injuries. On the flip side why get a key player injured for the team who is up 40+. The change has nothing to do with people getting on these forums and complaining about blowouts. It’s all geared around safety and injury prevention. As far as getting the younger guys playing time, that’s what Monday night jv games and Thursday night freshmen games are for. If you have a good program with a lot of kids there’s no reason you can't fill a 10 game schedule for both freshmen and jv. When I saw the topic thread I thought for sure everyone would like the change. Blows my mind how many people and the silly responses that are against it.
The better for everyone involved! Maybe you and those that believe in this BS. But certainly not everyone.
Pages: 1 2