Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Collins sets lofty goal after finishing second best
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With great expectations will come increased preparation for the Collins High School football team this season.

In previous years, Titans coach Jerry Lucas preferred a laid-back approach to his team's first four regular-season games, focusing only on his squad and not preparing a game plan for individual opponents until district play started later in the season.

But with 17 of 22 starters back from last year's team that reached the Class 4-A championship game, Lucas said it's time to "go for it" and already has started watching film on Simon Kenton, the Titans' opening night opponent on Aug. 23.

"This year we'll game-plan because there's so many (starters) back," Lucas said. "Why wouldn't we? ... Those are things we never did, but you almost have to do those things when you have so many kids back."

Collins lost just six seniors, including three starters, from last year's 11-4 squad that lost to Fort Thomas Highlands 47-0 in the state final.

While Highlands will be the heavy favorite to win its seventh straight state title this year, Collins is considered by many to be the pick to reach the championship game from the western half of the state.

"Last year, our goal was just to get to State, but this year our goal is to win State," senior DeAndre Farris said. "That's just like any team, but the bar is set really high here. That's really the only goal we have."

With Farris leading the way, Collins has a shot.

The 5-foot-9, 175 pound Farris does it all for the Titans, playing running back and receiver on offense and linebacker, cornerback and safety on defense. He rushed for 997 yards and 17 touchdowns last season and also caught 68 passes for 1,039 yards and 13 TDs.

Lucas said Farris, who has committed to Western Kentucky University, could rush for 2,000 yards if Collins didn't have other weapons and called him a top candidate for Kentucky's 2013 Mr. Football honor.

"I would put him with any kid in the state as a football player," Lucas said. "I realize some of these other guys are getting a lot of hype, but I would challenge anybody to get (Farris') highlight video. I'll be happy to send it to them. He's electric."

Senior quarterback Lawson Page (6-1, 195) also returns after passing for 2,931 yards and 36 TDs last season while rushing for 721 yards and five scores. He has no scholarship offers but said Western Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky and Morehead State are showing interest.

Lucas said Page has become more patient in the pocket, looking more for secondary receivers instead of immediately tucking the ball and running.

Page said he and his coach have joked around about a combined 50 touchdowns and 5,000 yards rushing and passing this season.

"We just play around with those numbers," Page said, "but it's very possible."

Page has his top three receivers back from last year, with seniors Nathan Sames (62 catches, 994 yards, 16 TDs) and Landon Forrest (37-531-2) joining Farris.

The defense is anchored by senior middle linebacker Masai Whyte (6-1, 210), who posted 182 tackles (71 solo) last season and also has committed to Western Kentucky. He'll see plenty of time on offense, too, after rushing for 10 touchdowns last season.

Lucas said the biggest difference between last year's team and this one will be depth, with 36 of his squad's 50 overall players expected to see action. He estimated that number of contributors was in the "low 20s" last season.

"At a school our size, we're going to play our kids both ways; we can't afford not to," Lucas said. "We have 36 kids we think will play on the varsity level. I think that's an exceptional number.

"Frankly, that means we have a lot of good football players."

http://www.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...3308120063
Nice article. Ready to strap it up Blue?
hop24 Wrote:Nice article. Ready to strap it up Blue?

Of course! Can't wait for next Friday!
It will be a season again to remember for the Titans, till they meet FT. Highlands... Yikes
Thanks for posting blue...I didn't see the CJ yesterday, is that the same story?
Might sound stupid, but I am ready to play Highlands again. IF we meet up with them, means we had a hell of a season and a chance to play for a title..
Tommy2tone Wrote:Thanks for posting blue...I didn't see the CJ yesterday, is that the same story?
Might sound stupid, but I am ready to play Highlands again. IF we meet up with them, means we had a hell of a season and a chance to play for a title..

Yes it is.

I would love to see Collins play Highlands again. Who wouldn't want another trip to Bowling Green and another chance to slay the giant?
Crap, I am so ready for tomarrow night and it is just a dang scrimage. It will be played like a game and last years meeting was a war.