Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lawrence Co vs Russell Scrimmage 8/13
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Come out and watch our Dawgs as they take on Russell in a Pre-Season scrimmage at LC Tuesday @ 1800.

Whats everyones thoughts?

To early for me to predict and out come, don't know if they will be keeping score, but will be great to see how we move the ball on the ground and see what kind of D we have. Hope to see Grant Kiser at QB and maybe AC Waller at wide out!!
Don't think you will see kiser at qb much AJ will get most of the snaps lambert and dalton at wide outs. Practices have been intense. LC now have enough quality players that they don't have to play both ways.
Does Lawrence county play ashland this year?
Watched this scrimmage tonight in Louisa. Lawrence Co. Got the better of this matchup. The Bulldogs looked talented on offense and were pretty impressive running the option. The Cyrus kid at QB is a real hidden talent in EKY.

Cecil appears to be trying to play kids one way as the defense only had a player of two who also played offense. From my perspective, the best talent is on the dawgs offense. The defense played hard but appeared undersized.

Russell moved the ball well on their first drive and looked to have a good enough line to move the chains this season. The lack of real playmaking talent was apparent however, leaving the devils with a pretty thin margin of error offensively. A false start or negative play will be hard on them. Defensively, the devils were physical, but gave up too many big plays, especially on the outside. Again, just a lack of speed.

Was awesome to see some live action and hear the pads popping! No injuries that I saw.
Was able to catch the scrimmage and came away happily impressed with how LC looked offensively. Weapons all over the field and look sound on the line and Cyrus is going to be a STUD under center. Defense still needs work but we will come around, they lack some size but the heart and intelligence is there. Didnt see many players playing both ways so things are looking up in Louisa.
I went and here is what I think. I don't think we will have a lot of problems finding some playmakers on offense. I was very surprised in how much they were passing the ball.......but I like it! I'm just a little worried about the pass protection and the defense was a little sloppy but all in all I think they look pretty good but you can tell they are still pretty young. I don't know if any of you know anything about this #11 Dalton kid at receiver but if you don't then just wait and see because if this kid can stay healthy and sticks with it for 4 years he could be something special. The kid is just a freshman but he is something else. He is one of those people with just the way he moves and runs that you just can't help but feel like he could do:Thumbs: something great and take it to the house at any time.
Here's my thoughts and opinions on the scrimmage. Lawrence County has a smart, athletic leader at quarterback in senior A.J. Cyrus. He makes good reads on the option, and has the speed and ability to break a big run at anytime. Rickey Goble the starting fullback was out but will play in the season opener which will make them even better. Derek Ferguson who broke the 66 yd touchdown looked really good, and elusive. The offensive line done a good job overall, there are some things they need to work on but for a first full live scrimmage I thought they did really good. Defensively the Bulldogs looked a little small, but quick overall to the football. Grant Kiser is the leader of the defense at safety and was in on several tackles. I think overall Lawrence County looked like the better football team. Great job guys
lcgrad2002 Wrote:Here's my thoughts and opinions on the scrimmage. Lawrence County has a smart, athletic leader at quarterback in senior A.J. Cyrus. He makes good reads on the option, and has the speed and ability to break a big run at anytime. Rickey Goble the starting fullback was out but will play in the season opener which will make them even better. Derek Ferguson who broke the 66 yd touchdown looked really good, and elusive. The offensive line done a good job overall, there are some things they need to work on but for a first full live scrimmage I thought they did really good. Defensively the Bulldogs looked a little small, but quick overall to the football. Grant Kiser is the leader of the defense at safety and was in on several tackles. I think overall Lawrence County looked like the better football team. Great job guys

Without a roster handy I was curious to whom the speedster was who broke the long TD run for LC. So happy to see Derek back playing football. Kid has wheels and the intelligence to be an outstanding back. Wheres Morgan Obrien? Putting Goble back at FB is gonna be a great plus for this team but #42 tonight did outstanding on hitting the hole and holding onto the football. Line looked good and Cyrus made good reads. The Dalton kid is gonna be a big help this year and will allow LC the chance to keep other teams from piling everyone in the box.
PaytoPlay Wrote:Watched this scrimmage tonight in Louisa. Lawrence Co. Got the better of this matchup. The Bulldogs looked talented on offense and were pretty impressive running the option. The Cyrus kid at QB is a real hidden talent in EKY.

Cecil appears to be trying to play kids one way as the defense only had a player of two who also played offense. From my perspective, the best talent is on the dawgs offense. The defense played hard but appeared undersized.

Russell moved the ball well on their first drive and looked to have a good enough line to move the chains this season. The lack of real playmaking talent was apparent however, leaving the devils with a pretty thin margin of error offensively. A false start or negative play will be hard on them. Defensively, the devils were physical, but gave up too many big plays, especially on the outside. Again, just a lack of speed.

Was awesome to see some live action and hear the pads popping! No injuries that I saw.

That pretty much sums up Russell. The best playmaker is probably a freshman.
Who qb for Russell. Was it May or did McKee take some reps also. If so how did they look.
^ both played. May ran FB when he didn't play QB. May is one of Russell's most athletic kids. He may be best utilized as a back even if McKee doesn't entirely win the job just because of the offense. Just the opinion of an outsider after seeing an 1.15 hr of a scrimmage.
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ both played. May ran FB when he didn't play QB. May is one of Russell's most athletic kids. He may be best utilized as a back even if McKee doesn't entirely win the job just because of the offense. Just the opinion of an outsider after seeing an 1.15 hr of a scrimmage.

Its probably the right opinion.

If it were up to me my backfield would be Korzep and Conley at HBs. May at FB. McKee at QB.

That's just my opinion.
I do worry about Conley taking to much punishment as a freshman.
Lonley playing both sides is a concern, as a freshman he just dosent have the physical maturity. Defensive wise, I think Russell will be ok on the interior, but they were having a hard time containing the corners. When they did have kids come up to make a play it seems they came up to quick and then tried to ARM tackle the back because they were out of position. Looks like they have enough lineman that they can platoon on o-line and d- line to keep everyone fresh. I just hope they don't keep the same 4-5 lineman in going both ways
PaytoPlay Wrote:^ both played. May ran FB when he didn't play QB. May is one of Russell's most athletic kids. He may be best utilized as a back even if McKee doesn't entirely win the job just because of the offense. Just the opinion of an outsider after seeing an 1.15 hr of a scrimmage.

Thanks for the info...