Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Report: NCAA investigating Johnny Manziel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While the world seems to be investigating the personal life of Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, it's being reported that the NCAA is investigating the Heisman Trophy winner for an entirely different reason.

According to a report from ESPN, the NCAA is looking into whether or not Manziel received compensation signed photos and memorabilia.

ESPN's Outside the Lines reports that, according to two sources, Manziel agreed to a five-figure fee to sign hundreds of pieces of memorabilia while in Miami for the BCS National Championship Game in January.

Three sources said Manziel signed photographs, footballs, mini football helmets and other items at the request of an autograph broker named Drew Tieman. Two sources, who are aware of the signing arrangement, told "Outside the Lines" that Tieman approached Manziel on Jan. 6 when he landed at the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport to attend the game between Alabama and Notre Dame the next day.

After that meeting, three sources said, Manziel, accompanied by his friend and personal assistant Nathan Fitch, visited Tieman's residence and signed hundreds of items in the main room of the apartment despite the fact that there were many people in the room. Before Manziel left South Florida, after taking in the title game, he signed hundreds of autographs more, one source said.
The report goes on to say that NCAA assistant director of enforcement, James Garland, contacted Tieman in June to talk about Manziel-signed items that had shown up on eBay.

Neither the NCAA or Texas A&M would comment on the reported investigation.

If the NCAA were to rule that Manziel accepted money in exchange for the signed memorabilia he would be ruled ineligible.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...ny-manziel
Another day, another story on Johnny Footbal and Aroid. It's never going to end.
Dont see much happening with this story. Johnny Football will be back om the field this fall. If he wasnt it would surprise the heck out of me
I wish the media would leave the kid alone.
Who cares what he does off the field. We only care about what happens on the field, and im sure he'll light teams up again all year long.
the media won't leave him alone cause he's a Heisman winner and shows up in places where you don't expect college kids to be like court side for the NBA finals. not to mention he's a starting college qb in texas, and texas media treats those guys like a starting qb in the nfl

if he goes out there and wins this season, all the stories disappear until the offseason
How dare a college kid profit off of his own name.
Johnny Football was paid $7,500 from a autograph broker to sign his autograph

http://fansided.com/2013/08/06/johnny-ma...ph-broker/
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:How dare a college kid profit off of his own name.

While I agree with you, but it's against the NCAA bylaws-12.5.21 to be exact if you want to look it up.

They've found evidence including a video of him signing & talking to the brokers in a hotel room. Where he even mentions, you never done a signing with me & if you claim you did I'll deny it.

He may never play another down collegiately. His stock keeps falling everyday.
Strikeout King Wrote:Johnny Football was paid $7,500 from a autograph broker to sign his autograph

http://fansided.com/2013/08/06/johnny-ma...ph-broker/

I think the NCAA will give him "The North Carolina Pass" on this matter after winning the Heisman last year, after all football is there cash cow.
Same autograph broker has a autographed Jadeveon Clowney football helmet for sale

http://fansided.com/2013/08/07/autograph...-for-sale/
Manziel is a punk.
He comes from money. I don't know why you would even considering risking everything for $7,500. It sure sounds like a lack of maturity and no one staying on this kid hard enough to keep him out of trouble.