Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: When is the last time...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
a Belfry freshman didn't graduate 4-0 against Pikeville?

jetpilot...you're welcome:Thumbs:

I'll be over here doing my victory danceConfusedinglepar
^Bahahahahahah!!!

The season hasn't even started yet and the trash talk is getting started
I love football season on BGR.
I think it is the same class as those Central Yellowjackets that aren't undefeated against Belfry.

:popcorn:

I will give this to Belfry, graduating freshmen with 4 years of varsity experience is very impressive.

:biggrin:

Edit: For anyone actually wondering the Class of 2004 would be the last graduating class at Belfry to not be 4-0 versus Pikeville.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I think it is the same class as those Central Yellowjackets that aren't undefeated against Belfry.

I will give this to Belfry, graduating freshmen with 4 years of varsity experience is very impressive.

Edit: For anyone actually wondering the Class of 2004 would be the last graduating class at Belfry to not be 4-0 versus Pikeville.

I don't think you can compare the State Championship caliber match up to a County match up that IMO is no longer a rival......Pikeville can no longer or will not in the near future give BELFRY a game thats within i say 2-3 touchdowns.....I think BELFRY should drop Pikeville....I think Pike Central would be a Better Rival Game for Pikeville......But Hey that's just my Opinion I'm Just a fan, and a former player that help break Pikeville's 33 game win streak in 1989 back when it was a rival....:rockon:
Panther Thunder Wrote:I think it is the same class as those Central Yellowjackets that aren't undefeated against Belfry.

You're right...that class only went 3-1 against the Panthers.:Thumbs:
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:I don't think you can compare the State Championship caliber match up to a County match up that IMO is no longer a rival......Pikeville can no longer or will not in the near future give BELFRY a game thats within i say 2-3 touchdowns.....I think BELFRY should drop Pikeville....I think Pike Central would be a Better Rival Game for Pikeville......But Hey that's just my Opinion I'm Just a fan, and a former player that help break Pikeville's 33 game win streak in 1989 back when it was a rival....:rockon:
Can dish it but can take it, eh? :biggrin:

No doubt, I can see the logical reasons for Belfry to want to drop the game, but logic goes out the window with any rivalry that actually means something to people. Belfry fans can act like they don't care about Pikeville, but you won't see a group any happier to talk about the streak (as they should be).

I don't have one problem admitting we have gotten in handed to us by the big Red over the past decade on the gridiron and it is painful. It is where being a Panther fan is tough, because outside of the Belfry/Pikeville football, there is no true rivalry. You have SV, ,PC, and ER in basketball and Paintsville on the diamond, but none for all three sports like Danville/Boyle or old Paintsville/Johnson Central. So there is no evening it out on the hardwood or diamond, because Belfry people, honestly, just don't care that much about the others.

If it were up to me, this series would be played until the end of time, regardless of score or streak. It has too much history to throw it away. Just one opinion from one person on the subject.
In all honesty, all good things must come to an end, and I think that is matchup is almost there. I also went to school in the 80's when the Belfry/Pikeville rivalry was at its highest and it was a great thing. I also remember the intense rivalry between Belfry/Williamson, WV but it became a one-sided Belfry show for several years before the plug was pulled on that and, honestly, no one ever missed it.

I don't think that a lot of Pikeville fans are even interested in attending the Belfry/Pikeville game, due to the fact, that no matter which stadium it is held in, there doesn't seem to a lot of maroon in the stands.
I think Pikeville should drop Belfry and pick up a Kentucky team. You can always spot a carload of Belfry fans on the road ---- WV license plate, Belfry bumper sticker, Food City bags full of clothes in the back window, muffler dragging/sparks flying, skull in the back window w/ eyes that light up red when they hit the brake...
Pirate Pal Wrote:In all honesty, all good things must come to an end, and I think that is matchup is almost there. I also went to school in the 80's when the Belfry/Pikeville rivalry was at its highest and it was a great thing. I also remember the intense rivalry between Belfry/Williamson, WV but it became a one-sided Belfry show for several years before the plug was pulled on that and, honestly, no one ever missed it.

I don't think that a lot of Pikeville fans are even interested in attending the Belfry/Pikeville game, due to the fact, that no matter which stadium it is held in, there doesn't seem to a lot of maroon in the stands.

At first read, Pirate Pal, I wanted to fire back at your last sentence, but - in all honesty - I don't know that I can. I, too, went to school in the `80s when this was a great rivalry and Pikeville was winning more than its share of the matchups. What I really like about the series is, while there was no love lost between the schools, games have always been pretty clean, played with a level of respect. Pikeville's program has had less consistency since the mid `90s compared to Belfry, certainly, and that helped swing things in Belfry's favor. I still see "red" anytime Pikeville plays Belfry in ANYTHING (pun intended), but I now have two children who attend Pikeville and I can see that playing Belfry doesn't mean the same to them as it did during my high school days. Times change, interests change. Still, I agree with PT that the series should continue, still the two best teams in the County and Pikeville is elevating their program under Coach McNamee. Why the lack of fan interest on Pikeville's side? I really don't know. I love how PT puts up old game highlights for us to watch and you could see the crowds standing all around the field. Recently, it's been a challenge to fill the stands. With the excitement around this year's team, maybe the crowds will start coming back and this "rivalry" can become more of a true rivalry.
I'm sort of in a way in favor of scratching it, but it's just right to have it on there. Especially since Pikeville has a good youth core with the last two Jr. High teams, we may see some decent games. Speaking of which, the Pikeville/Belfry rivalry still runs high and intense at the Jr. High level.
jetpilot Wrote:I think Pikeville should drop Belfry and pick up a Kentucky team. You can always spot a carload of Belfry fans on the road ---- WV license plate, Belfry bumper sticker, Food City bags full of clothes in the back window, muffler dragging/sparks flying, skull in the back window w/ eyes that light up red when they hit the brake...

Is it true Pikeville is Changing their name from "Pikeville Independent School District" to "The Pikeville International Open District" after the success of their transfers in basketball and the kids from other 1A and County programs from around the Region? I will give Coach Mac credit..he has effectively recruited his QB position better than the UPike staff has ever came close to.. stockpiling that talent.

Also, fitting that you mention seeing brake lights as a Panther... seeing that is pretty much all the Panther defense has been able to see of the Belfry running backs for a loooong time now.

For the record..I hope the rivalry continues on. Future looks bright for both programs over the next 4 seasons and I think this year is a competitive game. Coach mac, all jokes aside, has Pikeville getting back to the top tier of 1A Football and the feeder system seems to be chuugging now that Pikeville has established coaching stability. Don't know if it will ever get back to the old days of the 80's and 90's.. but I would rather play Pikeville 100X instead of Southwestern, East Carter, or any of these teams Belfry has had to scramble in the past to fill their schedule with. Plus the rivalry at the HS level will only trickle down and fuel rivalry at the Feeder level which is good for both programs.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Is it true Pikeville is Changing their name from "Pikeville Independent School District" to "The Pikeville International Open District" after the success of their transfers in basketball and the kids from other 1A and County programs from around the Region? I will give Coach Mac credit..he has effectively recruited his QB position better than the UPike staff has ever came close to.. stockpiling that talent.

Also, fitting that you mention seeing brake lights as a Panther... seeing that is pretty much all the Panther defense has been able to see of the Belfry running backs for a loooong time now.

For the record..I hope the rivalry continues on. Future looks bright for both programs over the next 4 seasons and I think this year is a competitive game. Coach mac, all jokes aside, has Pikeville getting back to the top tier of 1A Football and the feeder system seems to be chuugging now that Pikeville has established coaching stability. Don't know if it will ever get back to the old days of the 80's and 90's.. but I would rather play Pikeville 100X instead of Southwestern, East Carter, or any of these teams Belfry has had to scramble in the past to fill their schedule with. Plus the rivalry at the HS level will only trickle down and fuel rivalry at the Feeder level which is good for both programs.

:Thumbs:
Just for kicks, hat is the all time record between the two?

You can smell football.
jetpilot Wrote:I think Pikeville should drop Belfry and pick up a Kentucky team. You can always spot a carload of Belfry fans on the road ---- WV license plate, Belfry bumper sticker, Food City bags full of clothes in the back window, muffler dragging/sparks flying, skull in the back window w/ eyes that light up red when they hit the brake...

HAHAHA! Good one JP. I will say this, I work there on ocassion and the community loves that football program and god bless them all for it
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:I don't think you can compare the State Championship caliber match up to a County match up that IMO is no longer a rival......Pikeville can no longer or will not in the near future give BELFRY a game thats within i say 2-3 touchdowns.....I think BELFRY should drop Pikeville....I think Pike Central would be a Better Rival Game for Pikeville......But Hey that's just my Opinion I'm Just a fan, and a former player that help break Pikeville's 33 game win streak in 1989 back when it was a rival....:rockon:

I don't see why not. Pikeville could easily become top dog again. Belfry hasn't always been the favorite, or sometimes even second best in the county.

It's no longer a rival now but it was a rival when pikeville had a 33 game win streak ?

Explain?
Real Badman Wrote:I don't see why not. Pikeville could easily become top dog again. Belfry hasn't always been the favorite, or sometimes even second best in the county.

???? Belfry wasnt even the second best team in the county???? Can you elaborate on when this was?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:It's no longer a rival now but it was a rival when pikeville had a 33 game win streak ?

Explain?

He was saying Pikeville had a 33 game win streak over the past 2+ plus years from 87-89. Not that Pikeville had won 33 games in a row over Belfry.
Real Badman Wrote:I don't see why not. Pikeville could easily become top dog again. Belfry hasn't always been the favorite, or sometimes even second best in the county.

Lol...easily Top Dog again. Lol....not anytime soon...BELFRY will be 2,3,4 touchdowns better than Pikeville the next 10 years or longer....
Wildcatk23 Wrote:It's no longer a rival now but it was a rival when pikeville had a 33 game win streak ?

Explain?

A rival game between teams is suppose to be competitive, back then it was competitive....It is no longer a game nor will Pikeville have a team anytime soon that will compete with BELFRY....
wooderson Wrote:[/B]

???? Belfry wasnt even the second best team in the county???? Can you elaborate on when this was?

Jack Hall Elkhorn City teams were something else in the 60/70's
wooderson Wrote:[/B]

Good programs even the likes of Belfry will at some point have some down times. Coaches can retire or move or they can lose a huge senior class full of talent and just not the same caliber of talent to replace it. Just look at Lawrence county. From like the early 90's to the early 2000's we were I think a powerhouse in the mountains under coach Williams but then he took a job with Bourbon County and everyone said that the coaches under him would pick up right where he left off but that never happened. I remember a few games during that time when the bulldogs put a pounding on teams like Belfry and Bell County who dominate the mountains. Just look at how Bell struggled when coach Hilton left the 1st time.
Panther Thunder Wrote:For anyone actually wondering the Class of 2004 would be the last graduating class at Belfry to not be 4-0 versus Pikeville.
This is correct, meaning they were freshmen in the year 2000, the last time Belfry lost to Pikeville.

It doesn't seem that long ago until you consider how much has happened in the last 13 years. For perspective here is a few facts about the year 2000...

The current freshmen on this year's teams were still in diapers
Bill Clinton was President
St Louis Rams won the Superbowl
Gas was about $1.50 per gallon
Janet Jackson and Madonna had #1 hits
AOL was king of the internet
Dora the Explorer was in her debut season
The new game consoles: Nintendo Gamecube & Playstation 2.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:This is correct, meaning they were freshmen in the year 2000, the last time Belfry lost to Pikeville.

It doesn't seem that long ago until you consider how much has happened in the last 13 years. For perspective here is a few facts about the year 2000...

The current freshmen on this year's teams were still in diapers
Bill Clinton was President
St Louis Rams won the Superbowl
Gas was about $1.50 per gallon
Janet Jackson and Madonna had #1 hits
AOL was king of the internet
Dora the Explorer was in her debut season
The new game consoles: Nintendo Gamecube & Playstation 2.
Better times lol
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Just for kicks, hat is the all time record between the two?

Belfry has a pretty big lead now, something like 30-18-3.

Before the current 12 year streak it was pretty much dead even between the two. It has been a great series over the years.

Well atleast we are dragging our mufflers to Bowling Green on a yearly basis while the other Pike County teams are well...just sitting at home. I like the HATE though, it means we're doing something right. TongueirateSho

I'd actually like to see us drop Pikeville and pickup Breathitt County.

Faith, Family and Football...Pond Creek style!
Belfry vs Breathitt Co will never happen in the regular season as long as Coach Haywood is at the helm. Would be a good game, but he would never go for it.
The "hate" was strong enough to bring BP out of hibernation! JP must be doing something right! :flame:
:flame:
Panther Thunder Wrote:The "hate" was strong enough to bring BP out of hibernation! JP must be doing something right! :flame:

I find it funny that the only thing it takes to get JP throwing stones from his glass house is to point out obvious truths.

I'll give him this....he's a die hard Panther thru and thru.
Never in hibernation...always lurking around...ya never know whan I might pop in. JP made some off color comments degrading the class of Belfry fans along with people in general. Some people may not be in a financial position to afford the best vehicles, or the best clothes or the best of anything. But the one thing we do have is a love for our community, our school and our families. It's a shame that mountain people put down and degrade one another. Our region has a hard enough time battling outside views that society has placed upon us as being racist, inbred, shoeless and toothless hillbillies.
I'm all for rivalries, but theres a point where it turned ugly and into personal attacks on a community and it's citizens.
So, since the thread got off topic, I have closed it. If someone wwants to decide they want to talk about Football and be an adult while doing so, please feel free to open a new thread regarding the topic.