Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: First Day of Practice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How was everyone's first day? Numbs?
I just posted 55 pictures on my FB!!
Now, I'm all excited again!!

Wink
We all can get excited about football. Ready or not it is here. As far as Cougarama, looks like 50+ came out.
That's great!!
Isn't that a lot more than last year??

Looks like practice here went as expected.
Don't have you on Facebook post some when you get the chance. We still got some out on vacation, and I think we could get a few more.
KC had I think I counted 59 but I know of 2 or 3 that are still gone on vacation. Our numbers should be real close to 62-64.. Not bad for a school a few years ago that could only muster about 40. Speaks volumes of how much the program a progressed in past few years!!!
I sure does panthernation!! Also, the success you guys have had speaks volumes!!
Made it around to a few practices in the big sandy yesterday. Its gonna be a good year for some mountain football!
Haven't heard anything yet. I just know this is our first time in 4 years without Jonathan Jackson on the field. All we did in that span is lose like 4 games have two runner up finishes and 2 rings. Rumors are we may be better than last year. Hard to replace his leadership! I think if the leadership steps up we will be scary. I think we will really spread it around. I think we will be really strong on both lines as well. I really like our DEnds both are experienced tall and fast. Got a 8th grader fixing to start practice at the Middle School. So I will start to hear how things are going at the hs soon. I have equipment pick up with him today. He is big so they usually send him to the HS to get his shoulder pads so I may hear soon.
Has anyone watched Breathitt practice?
How many kids are there?
I'm new at this put the title in wrong.
Black Bears have huge numbers which were expected. It will take forever for its time for Roy Kidd Bowl,i cant hardly stand it.
Noodler Wrote:I'm new at this put the title in wrong.

Welcome to the site.
Always nice to see a new member.

Dont worry about the title unless your starting a thread.
Noodler Wrote:I'm new at this put the title in wrong.

:biglmao:I no how you feel right now.it happen to everybody.
:yikes:
Noodler Wrote:Has anyone watched Breathitt practice?

You looked pretty good throwing the ball at practice Monday .......
I heard Conner looked average against Beechwood in 7 on 7.
Hey bearcat88. If I looked good throwing the ball, then breathitt will go on probation for having a 40 year old playing.
If you watched them practice, how did they look? I don't care who starts qb. I hope they start back practicing like they did when Kyle played. Holcomb went to only practicing one day a week in full pads the past few years when it used to be two. Not doing tackling drills two days a week hurt the defense in my opinion. Missed tackles killed them against belfry the last two years.
Noodler Wrote:If you watched them practice, how did they look? I don't care who starts qb. I hope they start back practicing like they did when Kyle played. Holcomb went to only practicing one day a week in full pads the past few years when it used to be two. Not doing tackling drills two days a week hurt the defense in my opinion. Missed tackles killed them against belfry the last two years.

Don't freak out man....I like you....but you are not qualified to question a coach with three rings.....
^^Exactly.

Plus, I'm a firm believer that tackling is one of those things that you can or can't do. Think about it, great tacklers have:
-agility
-great hips
-explosiveness

A lot of those attributes you have or you don't have. I know that's a backwards way of thinking that most will roll their eyes at, but it's fact for the most part..
With that said, like anything, the more you work on it, the better you get..to an extent. Everybody has a ceiling; some are a lot shorter than others.

But tackling one day a week vs 2, over a 3-4 month period in time doesn't make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

It's like Golf...if I want to get better at chipping from 20 yds out, I need to do it repetively; 4-5 days a week for an X amount of time.

If I just chip once or twice a week from May-August, then don't do it from September through April, then I'm probably not going to see much of a noticeable difference.

But, if I continue to work on the characteristics of great tacklers (see above post), then you'll see some change over time...improved tackling happens more in the offseason than in season, IMVHO.
Tackling drills and going in full pads was just an example. Their practices in the past few years have been totally different than when I played. Nothing against coach Holcomb, he used to work our guts out and I thank him for that. He made us have 2 practices a day and that's not been done lately. I know there are a lot more restrictions now and that may have played a part in practice changes. It just looked like to me last years practices were a lot easier and layed back than what we had.
Brossart numbers are down. Hope the new coach can change this
Ashlands #s are down 62 sophs thru seniors and 25 fresh!
Only 19 freshmen at Ashland
^ incoming class for Blazer isn't the most talented either right?
Simon Kenton has 85 or near there.
Good numbers at North Laurel, 70+.
JagSwag Wrote:Good numbers at North Laurel, 70+.

That awesome I'm glad for north.:Cheerlead:Cheerlead:Cheerlead
Pages: 1 2