Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Elite 11 Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
BEAVERTON, Ore.- Elite 11 head coach and Super Bowl-winning quarterback Trent Dilfer broke down many of the participants in the 2013 Elite 11 finals following Sunday morning’s workout. 

Texas A&M quarterback commit Kyle Allen has been dubbed "Mister Consistency" by Elite 11 head coach Trent Dilfer.

The quarterbacks will now transition to The Opening as the rest of the prospects arrive and begin competition with the SPARQ National Championship on Monday. Tuesday will mark the start of 7-on-7 play and the MVP of Elite 11 and the “final 11” will be determined Wednesday following the completion of all competition.

Dilfer gave his current top six standouts (in no order) of the finals so far.

"In my eyes and this is in no particular order, these are the guys that have stood out- Sean White, Brad Kaaya, David Blough, KJ Carta-Samuels, Kyle Allen, Deshaun Watson. There are others, but if I do twelve, you guys will say 'oh he's just smoke screening us'. If you put a gun to my head, I know those guys will make the eleven."

Dilfer touched on many of the quarterbacks individually.

Kyle Allen, Scottsdale (Ariz.) Desert Mountain (Texas A&M commit)

"He's mister consistency. It's almost working against him at this point because he does nothing bad he does everything better than good. I'm going to challenge him to be great in The Opening."

Drew Barker, Hebron (Ky.) Conner (Kentucky commit)

"Drew has a little goofball in him in a fun way. He needs to make heads turn this week. The only thing that is keeping them from being on the list (top group) is turning heads. He hasn't done that yet. I don't care about how hard you throw it, I care how he finishes. I want to see him in that critical moment and see him own the stage."

David Blough, Carrollton (Texas) Creekview (Purdue)

Ohio State quarterback commit Stephen Collier had an "in between" day Sunday according to Trent Dilfer.

"He's fiercely competitive. He's so determined to be the best he can possibly be, yet he doesn't let that pressure weigh him down. He plays free. He's right there with Sean White and Kyle Allen in the passing proficiency area."

K.J. Carta-Samuels, San Jose (Calif.) Bellarmine Prep (Vanderbilt commit)

"I don't know if I've ever coached a kid more trainable than K.J. Carta-Samuels. From where he was to where he is now, it continues to prove to me that what we found here is so good. When I first saw him there were some real issues. But I told him, A, B and C are issues and he's fixed them."

Stephen Collier, Leesburg (Ga.) Lee County (Ohio State commit)

"He was in between today. I'd say his good is still very very good. He has moments where you don't know if he knows how good he can be. He needs to be more decisive. There are times where he doesn't trust himself to just let it rip. When he trusts himself he's really good."

David Cornwell, Norman (Okla.) North (Alabama commit)

"He's up and down as well. His best is better than everyone else, but he shows the inconsistencies. His is more of an organization issue. He's just so big, it's hard to stay organized all the time. I think he might have had a break through today though. I think we broke through with him on some stuff that connected with him."

Keller Chryst, Palo Alto (Calif.) High (Stanford commit)

Dilfer says that he's been working with five-star Stanford commit Keller Chryst on throwing to his left.

"He's been steady. He's done a nice job and showed more life today. He's a very cerebral and calm influence. He's shown some fire and attacked this whole thing. He's also an artistic passer in how he changes speeds and trajectories. He really needs to work on throwing to his left and that's something he's working on and getting better at."

Will Grier, Davidson (N.C.) Day (Florida commit)

"Will is right there with Jacob Park in that second group. He's a few throws away from being in the top group. When the ball leaves his fingers, he's on to the next play, I like that. He's shown more juice today. He sent some messages with the ball a few times. I think he might be one of those guys that has a chance to thrive (in The Opening). There won't be any shock and awe when he sees (five star) Tony Brown out there playing cornerback."

Brad Kaaya, West Hills (Calif.) Chaminade (Miami commit)

"He makes the extremely difficult look easy. I've said this before, but that's really what you look for in greatness. He makes everything look incredibly easy."

DeShone Kizer, Toledo (Ohio) Central Catholic (Notre Dame commit)

"DeShone is off the charts in the subjective stuff. The competitive stuff, trainability, but he is struggling with some mechanics that we tried to fix in Columbus, we have the tools to fix it, but he's just not feeling it yet. I'm going to work on letting him see it on film. It's because he's an all sport athlete. I love that though. Notre Dame is going to get a guy that will get so much better. His good is awesome, unfortunately, his bad has been bad."

Morgan Mahalak, Greenbrae (Calif.) Marin Catholic (Oregon commit)

"I think Morgan has grown. His confidence has grown immensely. He's not looking to see where he fits, he's jumping in and he knows that he fits. He's using this tag that he hasn't started a high school game as a chip on his shoulder.

"We did our Axon training yesterday and he scored as high as anybody. That shows the ability to process information. He's attacking this with vigor and I've been real impressed."

Jacob Park, Goose Creek (S.C.) Stratford (Georgia commit)

"Park is right on the outside of that top group. He'll have four great plays and then an absolute stinker. That's not inconsistency, I don't know where it comes from. I got to figure out if its focus or physical. I'll dig into that today. He could blow up in a heartbeat. He's been so good, but you just can't put a stamp on it until he does it every throw."

Deshaun Watson, Gainesville (Ga.) High (Clemson)

"He started a little sloppy to be honest. He lit it up yesterday though. He's a much better passer than he was in Atlanta. He's a sponge. He embraces the journey of getting better.

"Deshaun will be able to thrive early (in college) even if he doesn't know what's going on because of his stature and athleticism. If I had to pick a guy that is most college ready, it would be him, for that reason."

Sean White, Hollywood (Fla.) University School

"Sean White, his accuracy is not just accurate, it's exact. It's an NFL type of ball that he throws. He throws an artistic ball. He doesn't just throw a skinny post, he sends a message with the skinny post. It blows your mind, his passing proficiency."