Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Who would win, PIKEVILLE or Johnson Central???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've thought about this one alot latley.... I'd go with Pikeville by 20 points... Who do you think would win? and by how much?

Even though Pikeville is just a 1A, i still think they would give the 4A eagles more than they could handle
Maybe before Matney. But if Pikeville had played JC last year, Pikeville wouldn't have won, JC would have beat them pretty handily.
what makes you think that? i dont think a coach change would have made a difference at all, Panthers would have physically and mentally beaten them
what was the final score of the JC paintsville game last year
this wouldnt have even been a contest this year the Panthers would have got dominated by the Eagles. The Eagles play in a very tough District and actaul came out pretty good in the district. I would go with the Eagles 20+ if pikeville did win this one which is a big if it would have been a close one 3 pts or 7 pts
PantherBlitz42 Wrote:what makes you think that? i dont think a coach change would have made a difference at all, Panthers would have physically and mentally beaten them

Actually this is a situation where a coaching change made a world of difference.. Before last season JC wasnt' that good, and I don't think they even made the playoffs, and I think they had a losing record.
This year though, they got a new coach and a new style, and actually played good ball. Pikeville wouldn't have been able to beat them this year.
panthereuphoria Wrote:what was the final score of the JC paintsville game last year

I dont' remember the final score, but if I'm not mistaken the game was over at halftime.
We'll really never know. Everyone is going to have their opinions and in all honesty it makes no difference. But I am very intrigued to know this. How would pikeville have mentally beaten JC Pantherblitz?
haha really wheres CE with the lock and key.........anyway...does anyone not know how actually tuff the panthers were last year.........JC would have benn beat by the boys in maroon......all thought hey were goood.....pikeville was a head above
liveMAROON Wrote:haha really wheres CE with the lock and key.........anyway...does anyone not know how actually tuff the panthers were last year.........JC would have benn beat by the boys in maroon......all thought hey were goood.....pikeville was a head above

Pikeville was tough last year. But to say they were a head above JC is somewhat ridiculous. I'm goin to venture and say that it would have been a good game, but in the end JC would have probably won by at least two td's.
Before their QB got hurt, Johnson Central was at least 3TDs better than Pikeville. Without the QB, JC was still 1TD better, in my opinion. You can't base anything on how they beat the weak sisters in their district. To get a feel for it, look at how each team performed against the good competition on their schedule.

Pikeville only had one really impressive performance last year and that was in week 1 against a Prestonsburg team that was just a ghost of itself. Against good teams, Pikeville lost by a whopping 88-7 to Rockcastle, Belfry and Beechwood. And the Prestonsburg team that took Belfry to the wire twice would have whipped Pikeville later in the season.

Johnson Central on the other hand played Belfry even in a scrimmage and played very close with nearly everyone on their 4A schedule. And just for comparison, even without their QB, they beat George Rogers Clark, a team that Beat South Laurel. And South Laurel beat Rockcastle and Corbin last year.
Bat Masterson Wrote:Before their QB got hurt, Johnson Central was at least 3TDs better than Pikeville. Without the QB, JC was still 1TD better, in my opinion. You can't base anything on how they beat the weak sisters in their district. To get a feel for it, look at how each team performed against the good competition on their schedule.

Pikeville only had one really impressive performance last year and that was in week 1 against a Prestonsburg team that was just a ghost of itself. Against good teams, Pikeville lost by a whopping 88-7 to Rockcastle, Belfry and Beechwood. And the Prestonsburg team that took Belfry to the wire twice would have whipped Pikeville later in the season.

Johnson Central on the other hand played Belfry even in a scrimmage and played very close with nearly everyone on their 4A schedule. And just for comparison, even without their QB, they beat George Rogers Clark, a team that Beat South Laurel. And South Laurel beat Rockcastle and Corbin last year.
Please don't bring up scrimmages...they mean nothing...ask any coach and they will tell you a scrimmage is not a good indicator.
BTW---JC beat Paintsville 48-6 and IMO JC would have beaten Pikeville last year. Some Pikeville folks think they were better than they were...they were average, just ask Belfry or Beechwood.
thank you liveMAROON, at least someone knows something in this fourm.... they would have beaten them mentally after the first half through Josh Sullivan pounding their line and Robert Shurtlef running the ball down their throats, u can only take so much of a pounding until u start to wear and tear..... Yes, we got beat by Prestonsburg, Beechwood, Belfry the 1A and 2A defending state champions, which if they had played Johnson Central during regular season would have given them more than they could handle.

If JCHS was to have won the game, it would of been by less than 5 points, and they would have to been lucky to do it, but its just my opnion, so it dosen't matter, none of this dose.... cause we'll never know!
o and spxdad, if Pikeville was just good, how come they made it to the Semi Finals when JCHS didn't even make playoffs???
spxdad Wrote:Please don't bring up scrimmages...they mean nothing...ask any coach and they will tell you a scrimmage is not a good indicator.

LOL, I knew somebody would bite on that. Big Grin

No, I agree with you that usually scrimmages are not a good indicator of the strength of a team. And the score from a scrimmage is useless, I hate to hear people brag about "beating" a team in a scrimmage. But you can get a good idea of the speed, physical play and overall talent level of a team in a scrimmage. JC played very evenly with Belfry in that scrimmage in all those regards, and it was a pretty good indicator of the type of turnaround they were in the middle of. And then they went out and did likewise against pretty good competition in their 4A district and outside it.
With no bias whatsoever, I'd have to go with Jim Matney and the Johnson Central Golden Eagles. JCHS played a very tough 4A schedule this past season after playing 3A in 2003. They beat several really good ball clubs and would have probably won their district if Shawn Music doesn't go down with a broken arm. Without Music, the Eagles still almost defeated Madison Central, who made it to the State Semi's, but lost by less than a TD if I remember correctly. Matney is one of the BEST coaches in the mountains and he proved that by turning a lack luster club into a regional powerhouse in one year.

Pikeville on the other hand was a good club last season. Their trip to the state semi's was remarkable, but they should have been defeated by Williamsburg in the regional championship. That comeback, helped by Shurtlefs grab in the endzone near regulation, showed that the Panthers never quit. They did impress me in the Pburg game, but rumor has it several Pburg players were playing hurt and their QB had something wrong with him. Coach Mac makes the Panthers tough year in and year out, but compared to other Panther squads in the past, Piikeville wasn't as good as a few of them.
You say we won to a mere shadow of the P-burg team that was in the middle of the season....well JC only "kept up with" a mere shadow of Belfry.......maybe the panthers would lose but we are 1A they are 4A.......even with their QB it would be a much closer game than u would think........and realize that the rockastle game was incredibly closer then the score indicated check the stats. JC is great respectable ball club with in credible speed and size but no way wuld they win by 3 TDs
That's the glory of the Apple Bowl I had the privledge of playing in during my high school career. JCHS is 4A but they would rather beat a 1A team more than they would win their district, well that's how it was when I played. When Paintsville would win they'd usually act like it was just another game and go on but not JC. However, I do like seeing a small school beat a large one...but I don't know if it would hapen with these two schools.
liveMAROON, you make some good points. That Belfry team did improve by leaps and bounds from the beginning of the season up to and through the playoffs. And the difference in class size makes a big difference. 1A teams aren't supposed to beat 4A teams.

As far as whether JC or Pikeville would have won, it all guesswork, and we will just have to agree to disagree on that one.
There is no reasoning with some of you Pikeville fans, you only want to look at things through your Maroon colored glasses. Believe me there is great football teams outside of your WEAK region, that would have handed the Panthers an L last season.

In East and Southeastern Ky

2A
Belfry
Prestonsburg (would have beaten them as much as Belfry did)
Breathitt Co.
Corbin

3A
Bell Co.
Rockcastle
Ashland

4A
Johnson Central
South Laurel
North Laurel
Last year Pikeville would have beat JC, but this year JC wins.
PantherBlitz42 Wrote:o and spxdad, if Pikeville was just good, how come they made it to the Semi Finals when JCHS didn't even make playoffs???

PIkeville-1A
JC-4A
A lot more competition in JCs district than in Pikevilles
blackcat Wrote:Last year Pikeville would have beat JC, but this year JC wins.

I actually think it would be the opposite of that. Last year JC would have whipped Pikeville. But I think Pikeville would have a better chance this year.
does anyone have the starters for each team
if u do post them and we will match them up
Coach Mac Wrote:does anyone have the starters for each team
if u do post them and we will match them up

Are you really goin to try to compare the two teams by the stats? I don't have none on either team, but I would like to see this.
If u think last years JC team would have beaten us, u know nothing about football.... Well im not gonna arguee with everyone about this, you think what ever you want, as long as it lets you sleep at night :roll:

Coach Matney is a great coach no doubt, and he took what talent they had and did great things with it, but still it wouldn't be enough to beat tradition,MORE talent,and 9 great coaches to put it all together

In reality, it proably would be a close game, only a touch down or two, but i just dont see the eagles beating us, but they may be able to?
we'll never know
PantherBlitz42 Wrote:If u think last years JC team would have beaten us, u know nothing about football.... Well im not gonna arguee with everyone about this, you think what ever you want, as long as it lets you sleep at night :roll:

Coach Matney is a great coach no doubt, and he took what talent they had and did great things with it, but still it wouldn't be enough to beat tradition,MORE talent,and 9 great coaches to put it all together

In reality, it proably would be a close game, only a touch down or two, but i just dont see the eagles beating us, but they may be able to?
we'll never know

The last paragraph in that sentence was the only one worth reading. Are you trying to say that JC has no tradition? Except for the past few years they have almost always had a good football team. the past few years they went up against teams like, South Laurel, North Laurel, George Rogers Clark, and Madison Central

They had 3 losses, Madison Central, North Laurel, and South Laurel. They had good wins against Whitley County, GRC, and they beat paintsville 48-6.

Now if you can sit there and tell me a reason other than tradition as to why Pikeville would have beat JC handily then I will admit that I know nothing about football. But until then, I'm goin to keep givin my opinion
Well as far as i know,
they haven't even won region before.. or have they???
If you know nothing about football, then why do you bother to arguee? lol
PantherBlitz42 Wrote:Well as far as i know,
they haven't even won region before.. or have they???
If you know nothing about football, then why do you bother to arguee? lol

Since they have been in 4A they have been in the same region as Scott County, and Madison Central. They are goin back to 3A next year and will be in the same region as Bell, Ashland, Rockcastle, Boyd, and teams like that. I don't think they have won a regional title is some time if they ever have. But look at what region they are in.

You insinuated that I knew nothing about football in your last post, by stating that if I thought JC would beat Pikeville last year, then I knew nothing about football.
O yea,
last year they only won 1 game, and we were like 8-5 i think... we were nothing last year compared to this year
Pages: 1 2 3