Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Best College Prospects in the 15th Region
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
was just sittin here thinkin about it and just thought i'd see what you all would say
Well as i see it, alot of prospects for colleges. But no one in the 15th to go to top colleges. Just not enough heart. Some kids may think they can go to top colleges and some will. Will end up sitting on the bench for 4 yrs if they can stay that long. If they can't tough it out sitting on the bench then they will end up back in the mountains (pikeville, Alice lloyd etc.... ) Need to see more heart from the kids in the mountains. JMO
BLUEGRASS-RULES Wrote:Well as i see it, alot of prospects for colleges. But no one in the 15th to go to top colleges. Just not enough heart. Some kids may think they can go to top colleges and some will. Will end up sitting on the bench for 4 yrs if they can stay that long. If they can't tough it out sitting on the bench then they will end up back in the mountains (pikeville, Alice lloyd etc.... ) Need to see more heart from the kids in the mountains. JMO
I agree, I've seen alot of GREAT players(I'd rather not mention their names), who have gone off to some descent programs and only stay one maybe two seasons and come back to the mountains weather it be grades, being home sick, burt out on the game, "not enough heart"..etc. They have no clue how good they have it, some players think they are supposed to be playing college ball, that they are suppose to be recruited and don't think of it as a privilege. You have to be a Good player to play at the College level and I think that is taken for granted some times..JMO
I agree with you Warrior23. Even if a player comes back to the mountians to schools like Pikeville College, or Alice Lloyd College. That really isnt a bad thing as long as they stay in school. From a financial point of view. There really are not that many public colleges that cost as much as it does to go to Pikeville where it is a private school. A college scholarship from any school should be something to be proud of.
i agree totally with u all.....theres not enough heart in the kids to go to a top named school
I really dont think it only involves having enough heart to play at the bigger schools. It could be a number of factors such as their close family, homesick. and maybe even feeling like they dont fit in. Kids from this area are not used to having 300 people in a single class. It can be intimidating to them I would think.
I am not sure that class size really bothers them. I think that when they go to those "big" schools they go up against the competition and realize that they aren't the stars on the team anymore and they are going to have to work hard for playing time. Some just don't want to work hard to stay at a "big" school!!
JR, I don't think there are any D-1 players in our region and I don't know if there are any seniors this year who could play at the NAIA level. Maybe Jamie Case from Belfry is the only one who I can think of.
J. R. VanHoose Wrote:I am not sure that class size really bothers them. I think that when they go to those "big" schools they go up against the competition and realize that they aren't the stars on the team anymore and they are going to have to work hard for playing time. Some just don't want to work hard to stay at a "big" school!!

EXACTLY. They go from being a big fish in a small pond to a minnow in the ocean and they aren't used to being a benchwarmer and can't take it. They want to walk straight onto the court and play like they did back in high school and that isn't always the case. They have to step up their game, work harder, and prove that they want to be there. There aren't always players to fill their shoes in high school but in college they come a dime a dozen.
thetribe Wrote:EXACTLY. They go from being a big fish in a small pond to a minnow in the ocean and they aren't used to being a benchwarmer and can't take it. They want to walk straight onto the court and play like they did back in high school and that isn't always the case. They have to step up their game, work harder, and prove that they want to be there. There aren't always players to fill their shoes in high school but in college they come a dime a dozen.

Exactly, everyone in college used to be the star on their high school team and how they adjust to it determines how successful they will be!!!
I agree JR. Not only in basketball but in their lives in general. If they get oppurtunities that some of us doesn't such as getting out of the mountains or even getting a full paid scholarship to a university and don't take advantage of it then it was a waste to begin with. They need to open their eyes and accept that they will run into bigger and better, that is how life in general is. They need to be thankful for what they were blessed with and take full advantage of it. Work hard to show the coaches what you are made out, bring some pride back to the mountains. Use it as an oppurtunity to further your education as well, don't go JUST to play basketball. You are going to college for FREE so decide on a major and work just as hard if not HARDER to make something of your life.

They just don't see it. Any of it. They go and don't get what they want, they party for the rest of the semester, grades drop, they lose scholarships, they make their parents unhappy, therefore they are jerked back into the area in which they worked hard to leave and what has been fullfilled in doing so? Shame if anything, no justice to their talent nor academic abilities.
thetribe Wrote:I agree JR. Not only in basketball but in their lives in general. If they get oppurtunities that some of us doesn't such as getting out of the mountains or even getting a full paid scholarship to a university and don't take advantage of it then it was a waste to begin with. They need to open their eyes and accept that they will run into bigger and better, that is how life in general is. They need to be thankful for what they were blessed with and take full advantage of it. Work hard to show the coaches what you are made out, bring some pride back to the mountains. Use it as an oppurtunity to further your education as well, don't go JUST to play basketball. You are going to college for FREE so decide on a major and work just as hard if not HARDER to make something of your life.

They just don't see it. Any of it. They go and don't get what they want, they party for the rest of the semester, grades drop, they lose scholarships, they make their parents unhappy, therefore they are jerked back into the area in which they worked hard to leave and what has been fullfilled in doing so? Shame if anything, no justice to their talent nor academic abilities.
Well said. One of the best post I've read on here.
Thank you very much, I appreciate it.
I think that mountain kids sometimes focus on being signed as an ego issue. They feel that gives weight to their game. I agree it does to some extent however there are some kids who will get signed that have neither the attitude, heart, or work ethic to play college ball. It's no secret that there are gonna be some players in the 15th this year that people will give a lot of hype to about playing college ball that ultimately have no business doing because they don't have want it takes from a non-talent perspective. It disgusts me when I see kids get a break and flush it away. You hear it all the time..."That's what kids from the mountains do". I hate that. Great post, most definetly.
Isn't their someone in the 57th that has been courted by some smaller D1 schools?? I was told that anyway.
The Guru Wrote:Isn't their someone in the 57th that has been courted by some smaller D1 schools?? I was told that anyway.
I doubt it very seriously, maybe Landon Slone, but the talent in the region and even the state has gone down tremendously in the last 2-3 years, it's unreal how much, not to downgrade these kis but facts are facts.
Matt Belcher was the only basketball player from East Ridge to go on to play for a college other than Pikeville. I don't feel that he was even recognized as much as others on the same team were and he went on to make more of himself athletic-wise.
Moe Wrote:I doubt it very seriously, maybe Landon Slone, but the talent in the region and even the state has gone down tremendously in the last 2-3 years, it's unreal how much, not to downgrade these kis but facts are facts.
I think there might be 2 from dist 57 that might end up playing d1. we will just have to wait n see.
The Guru Wrote:I think there might be 2 from dist 57 that might end up playing d1. we will just have to wait n see.
Two tho play D-I, I doubt it, Respectfully saying, Landon is the only one and that would be a long shot. But like you said will have to wait and see.
That is unless there is a transfer coming into the 57th.:thumpsup:
I think now that Pikeville has a JV team up and running under Wells you may see more 15th region players sign with Pikeville.
I'm confused with all of those Pikeville's in there.
Wells is working with PHS's JV so in turn they may have more sign with PC in the future oorrr am I wrong?!?
I was meaning that Pikeville College is now going to have a JV squad, and judging by some of the 15th region players that signed with the school this summer, I would say more kids from the region will get a chance to play at Pikeville College with the JV squad.
Landon Slone has potential to play D1...maybe Jamie McCarty could to
Has June Buchanan's big man completely healed? I hope so.
IMO if he is 100% they will be very difficult to handle in the 14th.
But the 14th is as weak as water, so keep that statement in perspective.
I mean, JBS made it to the finals of a big camp tournament this summer and got beat something like 50 by, I believe, Scott County.
But I predict the Crusaders to be playing in Rupp in March.
So hang in there guys and defend the honor of the 14th.:Thumbs:
??
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Has June Buchanan's big man completely healed? I hope so.
IMO if he is 100% they will be very difficult to handle in the 14th.
But the 14th is as weak as water, so keep that statement in perspective.
I mean, JBS made it to the finals of a big camp tournament this summer and got beat something like 50 by, I believe, Scott County.
But I predict the Crusaders to be playing in Rupp in March.
So hang in there guys and defend the honor of the 14th.:Thumbs:
Respectfully, What does that have to do with this topic, maybe you just posted in the wrong thread, I don't know.
JBS isn't in the 15th...i think it might be the 14th they are in but the Stepp id is really good for them and has college potential