Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Justin Johnson or Matt Day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Who is the best player and why? Everyone says JJ is D1. Matt Day is as tall as Johnson and absolutely destroyed the 14th region and he is at UVA WISE. What's gonna make Johnson get a D1 scholorship?
Whats going to make Johnson get a D1 scholarship? I guess the 15 plus offers he has on the table and they are mid major to BCS conference schools. Matt Day was a nice player but he had zero D1 offers on the table.
Offers are just offers. What if JJ don't get out of the region? JJ really that much better than Dalton Cornett?
I think Matt could have easily gone to a D1 school if he wanted to but, he wanted to go to a school where he could make an immediate impact. As a freshman at UVA-Wise he averaged 11.4 ppg and 6.2 rpg. He was 2nd on the team in blocks and 4th on the team in steals! Pretty impressive if you ask me. I don't know what he plans to do but, if he improves upon this season, I think he could easily transfer to a D1 mid-major and see significant minutes off the bench.

Justin Johnson would probably be smart to do the same thing if he wants immediate playing time. If he's ok with sitting on the bench for at least the first two seasons then he can pick any of the schools that are looking at him.
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:I think Matt could have easily gone to a D1 school if he wanted to but, he wanted to go to a school where he could make an immediate impact. As a freshman at UVA-Wise he averaged 11.4 ppg and 6.2 rpg. He was 2nd on the team in blocks and 4th on the team in steals! Pretty impressive if you ask me. I don't know what he plans to do but, if he improves upon this season, I think he could easily transfer to a D1 mid-major and see significant minutes off the bench.

Justin Johnson would probably be smart to do the same thing if he wants immediate playing time. If he's ok with sitting on the bench for at least the first two seasons then he can pick any of the schools that are looking at him.

I don't think Matt Day had a D1 offer.

He's definitely doing well at UVA-Wise and it was a good fit for him.

However, Matt Day was an example of a good player, harder worker, on a mediocre team.

I know, I know, I know - they did good his junior year and did great his senior year, but if you looked down the scouting report the only player that really stood out was Matt Day. They had a lot of good hard workers on that team that knew their roles, they had a great coach and most of them had been playing together since they could pick up a basketball.

Justin Johnson is getting it done on the AAU circuits and that's where you pick up offers. He's got the scoring, the rebounding and the wow factor. I know it's still just two points, but if Matt Day did was doing stuff like this when he was a sophomore he would have had D1 offers.

We I hope Justin gets a shot at playing at the highest level possible. Justin is probably the best athlete I have ever saw around these parts. Not saying he don't have the talent to go D1. Just hope he gets a shot.
I just felt like Matt Day was very good and he had the size and he's at a small college.
Are you talking a better player overall or a better high school player. If you are saying a better player overall then judge it on offers, the scouts are the ones that get paid the big money to offer 13 scholarships a year, numerous feel Johnson is worthy of a d-1 offer, Day had zero offers.

As earlier poster says, Johnson gets it done on the AAU circuit, do you want to be a star in high school or college, AAU is more important than college, you are comparing him to Cornett, some kids don't care about winning in high school as AAU is more important to them and getting a scholarship is .

I don't have a dog in the fight, don't know either one and don't root for either team, I have no opinion on who the best player was or is. Justin Johnson will end up at Western Kentucky University if Tennessee doesn't offer a scholarship.
Exposure, it is all about exposure. Not comparing the two, but Day did not play in the EBYL league in front of numerous scouts.
Day did have ,at least, two D1 offers. Central Arkansas and Texas Pan Am. I realize those aren't exactly elite programs, but neither was Florida Gulf Coast. The only thing Johnson has on Day is athleticism, which is what the top programs crave these days. Day's offensive skill set was much better
zaga_fan Wrote:I don't think Matt Day had a D1 offer.

He's definitely doing well at UVA-Wise and it was a good fit for him.

However, Matt Day was an example of a good player, harder worker, on a mediocre team.

I know, I know, I know - they did good his junior year and did great his senior year, but if you looked down the scouting report the only player that really stood out was Matt Day. They had a lot of good hard workers on that team that knew their roles, they had a great coach and most of them had been playing together since they could pick up a basketball.

Justin Johnson is getting it done on the AAU circuits and that's where you pick up offers. He's got the scoring, the rebounding and the wow factor. I know it's still just two points, but if Matt Day did was doing stuff like this when he was a sophomore he would have had D1 offers.

Definitely do not agree on the mediocre team comment. The majority of those guys were not great players but they knew their roles as you said which is what made them a very good team. Matt was the standout especially on offense and every team they played defended him that way and he still put up big numbers every night. Day also played AAU with the Charlotte Court out of Lexington which is a solid program that featured players such as Shelvin Mack, Adam Wing. DJ Townsend, Day and a few others. So he got looks. Ultimately not having the athleticism is why he didn't get the big offers
HUB Wrote:Definitely do not agree on the mediocre team comment. The majority of those guys were not great players but they knew their roles as you said which is what made them a very good team. Matt was the standout especially on offense and every team they played defended him that way and he still put up big numbers every night. Day also played AAU with the Charlotte Court out of Lexington which is a solid program that featured players such as Shelvin Mack, Adam Wing. DJ Townsend, Day and a few others. So he got looks. Ultimately not having the athleticism is why he didn't get the big offers

Let me rephrase...
Matt Day was a good player on a team full of players that were simply not on his level.

That team ended on a high note but you have to admit...
If you look at their entire body of work over 4 years they were underachievers until their last ride.

Matt Day didn't know what it was like to play in the second round of district until his senior year.
HUB Wrote:Definitely do not agree on the mediocre team comment. The majority of those guys were not great players but they knew their roles as you said which is what made them a very good team. Matt was the standout especially on offense and every team they played defended him that way and he still put up big numbers every night. Day also played AAU with the Charlotte Court out of Lexington which is a solid program that featured players such as Shelvin Mack, Adam Wing. DJ Townsend, Day and a few others. So he got looks. Ultimately not having the athleticism is why he didn't get the big offers

I'm very aware of that...
but he didn't compete at the level that Johnson is with EYBL
I just don't see why everyone gets so tore up about this freaking D1 nonsense.

Neither of these guys will play pro ball so it would be smart to commit to a college that has a good academic program for what you are going to go pro in whenever you graduate.

Another interesting trinket - this has nothing to do with the conversation but I figured I would add it - Robert Paul Amis went to UVA-Wise on a basketball scholarship.
If they get a full ride and school paid for none of it matters, you can develop your game at any college if the coaches push you and still play professional if good enough no matter where you come from.
AAU basketball is about like pickup ball at the park. I don't know
what kind of coach recruits a kid that can't play a lick of defense, block shots, and grab boards. AAU IS RUN AND GUN you may play better players in AAU but there's
Not much game preparation. I like a guy like Day that can get
you 45 points even when the other team is prepared to stop him. Has JJ dominated
HHS or other physical teams? You be the judge of that. You'd
think a D1 school would want a 6'7 two guard instead of a 6'7 post player. For JJ to really
shine, Perry Central needs to pick up a good 4 and 5 and let JJ play the 3. I
am still scratching my head wondering why Matt Day didn't get
and offer from Eku, Morehead, or a little bigger school. Matt was a
WINNER.
HUB Wrote:Day did have ,at least, two D1 offers. Central Arkansas and Texas Pan Am. I realize those aren't exactly elite programs, but neither was Florida Gulf Coast. The only thing Johnson has on Day is athleticism, which is what the top programs crave these days. Day's offensive skill set was much better

He also had offers from East Tennessee State, Furman, UNC-Asheville, and Richmond as far as D1 schools go.
The_Rock Wrote:AAU basketball is about like pickup ball at the park. I don't know
what kind of coach recruits a kid that can't play a lick of defense, block shots, and grab boards. AAU IS RUN AND GUN you may play better players in AAU but there's
Not much game preparation. I like a guy like Day that can get
you 45 points even when the other team is prepared to stop him. Has JJ dominated
HHS or other physical teams? You be the judge of that. You'd
think a D1 school would want a 6'7 two guard instead of a 6'7 post player. For JJ to really
shine, Perry Central needs to pick up a good 4 and 5 and let JJ play the 3. I
am still scratching my head wondering why Matt Day didn't get
and offer from Eku, Morehead, or a little bigger school. Matt was a
WINNER.

I still wonder the same thing. I don't understand how someone who was a Mr. Basketball finalist, led the state in scoring(24ppg) while getting double and triple teamed his senior season, and averaged 14 rpg doesn't get a single offer from an in-state D1 school.
Makes no sense to me either. I guess they thought he was to slow.
Matt is just a heck of a player. Speed doesn't always win, but it helps.
I'm sure Matt was as fast as Kyle Wilcher (spelling) and he played for the CATS. You would
of thought Matt could of been playing at EKU or Morehead State.
zaga_fan Wrote:Let me rephrase...
Matt Day was a good player on a team full of players that were simply not on his level.

That team ended on a high note but you have to admit...
If you look at their entire body of work over 4 years they were underachievers until their last ride.

Matt Day didn't know what it was like to play in the second round of district until his senior year.

Underachievers is a bit of a stretch, I think. As freshmen, they lost to the regional champs in first game. As Sophs, they lost to regional runners up who should have won it and their jr year, lost to the regional champs. Wasn't like they were favored in any of those.
The_Rock Wrote:Offers are just offers. What if JJ don't get out of the region? JJ really that much better than Dalton Cornett?

First of all, high school basketball means nothing in the world of recruiting. Johnson is being seen by these coaches right now while he is playing AAU with some of the best from the Bluegrass. High school ball doesnt count for much, hell Anthong Davis team was terrible and he turned out to be ok didnt he?
Tubby Hater Wrote:First of all, high school basketball means nothing in the world of recruiting. Johnson is being seen by these coaches right now while he is playing AAU with some of the best from the Bluegrass. High school ball doesnt count for much, hell Anthong Davis team was terrible and he turned out to be ok didnt he?

Growing a foot in a year turned him out ok. I know where you were going with it, Davis was a nobody until Jr year AAU. Bad person to compare to IMO. But get the jest of it.

Mix1...
No real D1 players in the 14th they may get D1 offers but there 200 schools that play D1.
ballboy Wrote:No real D1 players in the 14th they may get D1 offers but there 200 schools that play D1.
guess you didnt hear about who Cordia got, and i'm not sure what you mean by "real" d1
I think Ballboy is referring to teams like UK, Kansas, Duke,
Tennessee or some big time D1 State Schools. I do thin the
best chances we have of kids in this area to going somewhere
like those is Justin Johnson, Braxton Beverly, Cameron Justice,
Shane Hall. Not saw the big kids at Cordia play. Braxton will
Have unreal numbers and accomplishments by his senior year
of high school. I think any of those 4 kids could play at the big state
schools if given a chance. These guys want to be seen playing
on ESPN some day and that's why they are working so hard. I hope
they all accomplish their dreams. I would also love to see Johnson
play the 3 at Perry Central and see what he could do facing the basket
and doing things off the dribble.
The_Rock Wrote:I think Ballboy is referring to teams like UK, Kansas, Duke,
Tennessee or some big time D1 State Schools. I do thin the
best chances we have of kids in this area to going somewhere
like those is Justin Johnson, Braxton Beverly, Cameron Justice,
Shane Hall. Not saw the big kids at Cordia play. Braxton will
Have unreal numbers and accomplishments by his senior year
of high school. I think any of those 4 kids could play at the big state
schools if given a chance. These guys want to be seen playing
on ESPN some day and that's why they are working so hard. I hope
they all accomplish their dreams. I would also love to see Johnson
play the 3 at Perry Central and see what he could do facing the basket
and doing things off the dribble.
The kid from Cordia is Malik Hines and is getting looked at by Ohio State, Purdue and Wisconsin
I watched Matt day play his whole career at buckhorn and he was by far the most overrated player I have seen in a long time. The college he went to is about like a Scott county high school team. And the 1 or 2 d1 scholarships he got offered ( if you can call that d1) they were partial scholarships. Johnson is 10 to 1 a better player. The night day broke the record at the wymt he scored 47 points on 43 shots almost anybody could do that
hitter Wrote:I watched Matt day play his whole career at buckhorn and he was by far the most overrated player I have seen in a long time. The college he went to is about like a Scott county high school team. And the 1 or 2 d1 scholarships he got offered ( if you can call that d1) they were partial scholarships. Johnson is 10 to 1 a better player. The night day broke the record at the wymt he scored 47 points on 43 shots almost anybody could do that

You may be right, but the fact of the matter is he did it and no one else has.
If I was down in the closing seconds of the game and needed a bucket, I would rather give it Matt Day.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:[/B]

You may be right, but the fact of the matter is he did it and no one else has.

Cameron justice got 45 the same game and took half as many shots. Matt day was an ok player but anyone could take a half way good player and let him shoot a lot of shots a game and he will score a lot but that doesn't really mean much
:Thumbs: matt day gets my vote.because he play at buckhorn.but I also like the way Johnson power dunks:Cheerlead
Pages: 1 2