Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Texas Governor Rick Perry begging for federal assistance.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:Rhetoric not matching reality is a severe problem in many areas in Texas. On April 17th, 2013 a fertilizer plant exploded in the town of West, Texas. Hours after the devastating explosion, a report from MSNBC showed Texas Governor Rick Perry begging for federal assistance.

It is common knowledge that Perry is anti-government regulation. The plant that exploded was poorly regulated. Perry claims to hate government handouts so much so that he refuses to accept the Medicaid expansion of Obamacare in a state where over 25% of its citizens have no healthcare insurance. Yet, he wants a federal government bailout for the explosion in West Texas.

One must ask a question that few are asking. Why should the federal government and taxpayers be liable for the explosion of a private plant? Should not that plant be liable for rebuilding the damage caused from the company storing that quantity of explosive chemicals in an unsafe manner? This is a classic case of privatization of profits and socialization of losses/expenses. Perry fighting for a government handout for a private company explosion while refusing government subsidies to provide healthcare to the poor in his state is the height of immorality.

Texas Governor Rick Perry is more than a hypocrite. He is dangerous. While he claims to hate regulation, he systematically passes laws/regulations that infringe on women’s rights but refuses regulations to equalize their pay. He refuses government money that would go to the poor and needy even as he provides billions in incentives for business. He has become a conduit to move middle class taxes to the powerful.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/06/16/...uts-video/
TheRealVille Wrote:http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/06/16/...uts-video/

I enjoy TheRealVille's posts although I rarely agree with him. However, he would gain credibility if he used less biased sources. These nuts he quotes above are about as unbiased as a grandmother speaking of the beauty of her new grandchild.

Since Texas, with its nasty millionaires and billionaires in the oil business and related endeavors, pays a bounty to the federal coffers in income taxes each year. Perry is merely asking that the usual FEMA rules be applied to the disaster in his state. He would be derelict in his duties to do otherwise.

Perry is certainly not looking for a handout from Washington. He wants equal treatment for his citizens. After all, his state funds a lot of Washington's waste.
Maybe the Governor just wants a promise kept
[YOUTUBE="another broken promise?"]q3M7OvrcrD8[/YOUTUBE]
Is this an instance where FEMA could be used? This wasn't caused by a natural disaster...

Just a thought...
^ I had the thought that the private company, that was negligent in the storage of dangerous chemicals should be responsible.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I enjoy TheRealVille's posts although I rarely agree with him. However, he would gain credibility if he used less biased sources. These nuts he quotes above are about as unbiased as a grandmother speaking of the beauty of her new grandchild.

Since Texas, with its nasty millionaires and billionaires in the oil business and related endeavors, pays a bounty to the federal coffers in income taxes each year. Perry is merely asking that the usual FEMA rules be applied to the disaster in his state. He would be derelict in his duties to do otherwise.

Perry is certainly not looking for a handout from Washington. He wants equal treatment for his citizens. After all, his state funds a lot of Washington's waste.

Isn't Texas a "taker" state? Meaning they receive more federal dollars than they pay in taxes.
TheRealVille Wrote:Isn't Texas a "taker" state? Meaning they receive more federal dollars than they pay in taxes.
After looking, TX isn't a "taker" state, like KY is. They only get back .91 cents for every dollar they pay in.
TheRealVille Wrote:After looking, TX isn't a "taker" state, like KY is. They only get back .91 cents for every dollar they pay in.

At the risk of offending those who prefer political correctness to truth, I believe that it is not difficult to determine where the overwhelming majority of federal aid goes in Texas.
TheRealVille Wrote:http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/06/16/...uts-video/

they are all that way
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I enjoy TheRealVille's posts although I rarely agree with him. However, he would gain credibility if he used less biased sources. These nuts he quotes above are about as unbiased as a grandmother speaking of the beauty of her new grandchild.

but this problem was from a private company not a natural disaster
vector Wrote:but this problem was from a private company not a natural disaster

I would assume that the government, rather than wait for a company to act, steps in and later bills the company. Isn't that what happened with the BP spill in the Gulf of Mexico?
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:At the risk of offending those who prefer political correctness to truth, I believe that it is not difficult to determine where the overwhelming majority of federal aid goes in Texas.

I guarantee it. As in every other state in the union, when they deem it necessary for what ever reason, the feds usurp the power of state government and force them to meet the federal standards for entitlements if in their view, state standards fall short. Obviously the governor of Texas has access to legions of lawyers who have their FEMA ducks in a row. It follows that he has been advised by those legions to apply for aid under the FEMA statutes. I know that FEMA has expanded it's statutory authority several times just since Katrina. In any event, you can bet a topgun Texan legal team thinks they have a viable claim.

Therefore, slamming Rick Perry is totally off base. But, if not for lies and innuendo what would liberal pundits do with themselves? Confusednicker:
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I would assume that the government, rather than wait for a company to act, steps in and later bills the company. Isn't that what happened with the BP spill in the Gulf of Mexico?

Wasn't this because it became a "natural disaster"?
judgementday Wrote:Wasn't this because it became a "natural disaster"?

If a disaster is caused by negligence, it cannot be a natural disaster. Natural disasters are caused by conditions or events beyond the control of human beings. The BP spill was caused by negligence- not by natural events. The Texas disaster is the same.

Of course, Obama and his handlers aren't very fond of those who really make Texas the great state that it is and we can be sure that they have no desire to assist the actual income taxpayers of Texas.