Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Governments haven't changed much 200 yrs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Started reading Dicken's TALE OF TWO CITIES but stopped to read about the French revolution first so I would have more background about the story.
Governments amaze me.The French had a tax on salt called GABELLE which was so hard to run Louis XVI had over 50,000 officers trying to enforce it. NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

P.S. they cut Louie head off. didn't help much
Well it didn't help Louis to loan a bunch of money to radicals in the new world who later refused to pay him back
Most people that pay attention to history already know this, lol.
Those darn French Conservatives and two percenters always getting their head chopped off
vundy33 Wrote:Most people that pay attention to history already know this, lol.

i agree but i don't think many people know or care about history. whats the old saying "learn from history or repeat the mistakes" I just thought it interesting that in 1770 they had 50,000 people trying to collect one tax, They had lots of other taxes.

I would be willing to bet that at least 70% of high school seniors would not be able to give you 5 things about the french revolution and not much better on the american revolution. SAD BUT TRUE
the other guy Wrote:i agree but i don't think many people know or care about history. whats the old saying "learn from history or repeat the mistakes" I just thought it interesting that in 1770 they had 50,000 people trying to collect one tax, They had lots of other taxes.

I would be willing to bet that at least 70% of high school seniors would not be able to give you 5 things about the french revolution and not much better on the american revolution. SAD BUT TRUE

I think you made a completely valid observation. The IRS already has thousands of agents assigned to jobs associated with collections and enforcement of ObamaCare. Just saw where they are asking for funding to hire another 16,500 agents dedicated to only one thing, ObamaCare.

Hopefully, the congress will get it right this time and serve the people by dramatically downsizing the IRS. Meanwhile, voters need to identify and vote out representatives like Jim McDermott (D) WA, who even in the face of withering testimony still pass judgment on folks because of their political views. I mean here we are in the middle of a bru-ha-ha of epic proportion, because politicians have been using the power of the federal government to punish folks for their political views and he blasts them yet again, pointing out that to him, their views are so controversial, they wound up in front of the congress to explain themselves. The arrogance of the left truly rises to the level of justifiable oppression against conservatives who have the gall to speak up in today's political climate. Hence, the true bigots, and bearers of malice are those on the left who would use the law to persecute their political foes.

ttt