Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Collins 6 Tates Creek 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final

Collins moves on to play Henderson County Wednesday night at 8:30 PM.
Great win by the Titans last night. Big Dan did his job of getting us deep in the game and except for one bad pitch that was hit 500 ft, Buddy did what we expected him to do.
Collins is swinging the bat like they did earlier in the year. Bailey came up with a 3 hit night. Bubba will probably get the start on wed night vs. Henderson. Don't know much about them but the scores I have seen on the year and watching some of their game yesterday. Hey, how about the Nation turning out last night. Great crowd.
LEXINGTON, Ky. —

The Collins High School baseball team first secured its first State Tournament appearance. Now it has its first State Tournament victory.

Solid pitching and one explosive offensive inning paced the Titans to a 6-4 first-round victory over Tates Creek on Monday night at Whitaker Bank Ballpark.

"You never expect to get six runs off Tates Creek," Collins coach Roy Bailey Jr. said. "When you play with a lead, you can do some different things offensively and be a lot more aggressive throwing strikes."

Collins starting pitcher Dan Sanders (11-0) gave up both runs, four hits and one walk with four strikeouts over 51⁄3 innings to secure the victory.

"Felt great, just having my defense back me up," he said. "We had no errors until the end. No errors, no walks, win the game."

"Dan has done it all year long," Bailey said. "We put him out there in this game for a reason."

Buddy Johnson finished the game for the Titans, but not without a scare. With one runner on and Collins nursing a 6-2 lead in the top of the seventh, Tates Creek shortstop Devin Hairston laced a home run to left-center field.

"That broke my neck, I looked at it so fast," Johnson said. "It was far, but I just kept mentally tough and fought through it."

Johnson also starred at the plate, lacing three hits, drawing a walk and knocking in two runs.

"It was a great day at the plate," he said.

Bailey said Johnson's versatility is a huge asset.

"He's an athlete -- he can pitch, he can hit," the coach said. "He's probably our most consistent reliever that we have, and that is why he was in there at that spot."

Collins took control early, sending 10 batters to the plate and scoring all six of its runs in the second inning.

Second baseman Mason Jeffries led off with a single and eventually was credited with stealing home for the first run. He broke for the plate and scored easily when Caleb Johnson's pitch sailed outside and caromed off the backstop.

The Titans strung together three more singles and capitalized on three walks in the inning to plate five more runs.

In the second round Wednesday, Collins (33-6) will face Henderson County.

"They have a lot of good hitters and a lot of good players," Bailey said. "None of them are going to be easy at this point. It comes down to fundamentals and getting timely hits now."

http://www.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...3306030092
What velocity was Dan Sanders hitting on the stadium radar gun?
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:What velocity was Dan Sanders hitting on the stadium radar gun?

I think it was around 80-85.
Dan stayed about 83 on the board last night. Their guy stayed about 81 but Dan was throwing much harder of the 2. Board was way off all night.
Blue, there shouldn't have even been a question about the stolen base. Actually both runners where moving on the pitch. The scoring of the game was just as bad as the score board operation. The count was off all night.
btw, great recap as always...