Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: FINAL: North Laurel 7 Harlan County 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Congrats to North Laurel

Good Season Black Bears! You made Harlan County Proud!

Leisge pitched a whale of a game!
I listened to this on the radio; the game wasn't won until the very end. What a battle each team fought!! I am so proud of the Black Bears and their sseason!!!!!

Congratulations Jaguars; good luck in the state tournament!
Patriot Wrote:Congrats to North Laurel

Good Season Black Bears! You made Harlan County Proud!

Leisge pitched a whale of a game!

Have a nice summer Patriot. :Thumbs:
Congrats Jags. I want to especailly congrat our Black Bears on a wonderful season. I still can't figure out why the coaches took Leisge out. He pitched a hell of a game and then when OUR coaches took him out, things fell apart.
To the Mr. Middlesboro4Life nutcase know-it-all............I TOLD YOU SO!!!!
Congrats to North on a very well played game and good luck in the state tourney we will be rooting for you. Congrats to HC on a great season and a great run in the region. Both teams played great and battled a great pitching battle. Leisge gave it every thing he had and probably would have went another inning but he is a young kid and pitched well over a hundred pitches. Right call by the coaches in my opinion.
bigguy989 Wrote:Congrats to North on a very well played game and good luck in the state tourney we will be rooting for you. Congrats to HC on a great season and a great run in the region. Both teams played great and battled a great pitching battle. Leisge gave it every thing he had and probably would have went another inning but he is a young kid and pitched well over a hundred pitches. Right call by the coaches in my opinion.
I agree with most of what you are saying, but IMO it was not the right call to pull Leisge after 1 batter in the 7th! With the heart and determination he showed tonight how could you be wrong to give him at least another batter or two?
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:I agree with most of what you are saying, but IMO it was not the right call to pull Leisge after 1 batter in the 7th! With the heart and determination he showed tonight how could you be wrong to give him at least another batter or two?

There are a lot of variables in this decision. How many pitches had Leisge thrown? Even major league veteran pitchers don't throw much more than 100 pitches in a game. How reliable had Bonds been in relief during the regular season? Was Leisge' velocity slowing? I can look back and make the correct decision 100% of the time, AFTER the game is over.

No one seems to be talking about the Bears only being able to generate 1 hit for the game.
rojas Wrote:There are a lot of variables in this decision. How many pitches had Leisge thrown? Even major league veteran pitchers don't throw much more than 100 pitches in a game. How reliable had Bonds been in relief during the regular season? Was Leisge' velocity slowing? I can look back and make the correct decision 100% of the time, AFTER the game is over.

No one seems to be talking about the Bears only being able to generate 1 hit for the game.
All good points sir and I am not saying it was a terrible call pulling him, just thought if the kid still felt good he should have been given at least another batter and go from there. Our team fought hard, but as u mentioned had only 1 base hit. Congrats to NL they have a great team and a kid in Carson that we might not see the likes of for a long time! Also, hats off to the Hurley kid for a great performance! I will be pulling for those guys in a big way come next Monday in Lexington, I might even be there to root em on!! Go 13th region!!!
Wish they all could be like this, just two outstanding teams going at it tooth and nail, then no hard feelings or excuses afterwards. Leisge pitched a hell of a game for Harlan Co., his breaking ball was nasty last night and having seen Bond before I know he is a better pitcher than what we happened to make him look in one inning. We just got hot with the heart of our order in the 7th. That's baseball, some nights you have it a lot more than others.
For North, I couldn't be happier for Carson, who is a quality kid to go along with his unreal physical skills. And Hurley has developed into a tremendous pitcher, should be able to give us a chance in most any game next week, although I think Mallory, who threw against Middlesboro, will throw the opener.
Anyway, a big tip of the cap to Harlan Co., especially their seniors. They were a class act. Hold your heads high and best of luck to you in the future.
raisedseams Wrote:Have a nice summer Patriot. :Thumbs:

Oh he will!! Its football time in Harlan Co.!
North was very good this year.
IMHO, South was better.

Funny how things work out.
DaBears Wrote:Oh he will!! Its football time in Harlan Co.!

This gave me chills!!!

Confusednicker:
I don't disagree with you, especially at the beginning of the season. But North improved by leaps and bounds, and South seemed to get a little stale over the last month. It is funny how it works out. Nearly everyone, myself included, thought North was going to win it last year. When South won, we assumed it was the start of a three or four year run as region champs. Who knows, maybe Lynn Camp wins next year.
Van Hagar Wrote:I don't disagree with you, especially at the beginning of the season. But North improved by leaps and bounds, and South seemed to get a little stale over the last month. It is funny how it works out. Nearly everyone, myself included, thought North was going to win it last year. When South won, we assumed it was the start of a three or four year run as region champs. Who knows, maybe Lynn Camp wins next year.

Even though we won the game, I could tell in our season opener that there was a lot of talent on North Laurel's squad, especially with the obvious talent of Carson. Also I got ridiculed for stating the obvious of what everyone at Whittaker Park saw that day, and that was there were 3 pitchers hitting anywhere from the mid to upper 80's for North Laurel . This was only the 2nd game of the season for NL, and it was very cold and windy. I have no idea where the staff ended up (velocity wise) at the end of the season, but it was as real as the moon in the sky that they were hitting those numbers . Just wondering Van Hagar, if Hurley was able to gain better control as the season went on? That seemed to be his one issue. Of course I have not received an apology from those two know it all knotheads that weren't even at the game, that argued up and down that they were mid to upper 70's guys at best.Confusednicker:
raisedseams Wrote:Have a nice summer Patriot. :Thumbs:

I truly expected that! I thought after I said it that's bad Charma, but that's okay cause in reality you were sitting at HOME hoping for a crosstown rival to win just so you could get me back! Anyway you slice it the Black Bears played deeper than south and I'll sleep we'll knowing that it eats away at you!

As i said before enjoy your summer, There's always football at South Laurel...oh wait.... Maybe basketball then...no...at least you have softball!
Bob Seger Wrote:To the Mr. Middlesboro4Life nutcase know-it-all............I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

Hmmm, how bout it Black Bear Cuz...........Them boys just throw mid to upper 70's don't they????????..................lol
Bob Seger Wrote:Even though we won the game, I could tell in our season opener that there was a lot of talent on North Laurel's squad, especially with the obvious talent of Carson. Also I got ridiculed for stating the obvious of what everyone at Whittaker Park saw that day, and that was there were 3 pitchers hitting anywhere from the mid to upper 80's for North Laurel . This was only the 2nd game of the season for NL, and it was very cold and windy. I have no idea where the staff ended up (velocity wise) at the end of the season, but it was as real as the moon in the sky that they were hitting those numbers . Just wondering Van Hagar, if Hurley was able to gain better control as the season went on? That seemed to be his one issue. Of course I have not received an apology from those two know it all knotheads that weren't even at the game, that argued up and down that they were mid to upper 70's guys at best.Confusednicker:

You're exactly right, that was the difference maker for him. He's had great velocity for a couple of years, but control has been a big issue, that's why he wasn't throwing many varsity innings last year, and why some folks were hard to convince that he could bring it mid-80's consistently. But you saw it yourself. Mallory also had an excellent year on the mound, not quite the velocity of Hurley, but still 82-83 consistently and very few walks. That's about Carson's level too. The biggest difference for the team, though, was the infield settling in. There were four new starters there, and they really struggled up through about spring break, cost us a number of games with multiple errors. But they have been if not spectacular at least very solid for the last month, and it shows in runs allowed. We only gave up three in three regional tournament games. With Hurley and Mallory both sophomores, and six of our ten starters (we use a DH) sophomores and another an 8th-grader, we should at least be in the regional mix for the next few seasons.
Van Hagar Wrote:You're exactly right, that was the difference maker for him. He's had great velocity for a couple of years, but control has been a big issue, that's why he wasn't throwing many varsity innings last year, and why some folks were hard to convince that he could bring it mid-80's consistently. But you saw it yourself. Mallory also had an excellent year on the mound, not quite the velocity of Hurley, but still 82-83 consistently and very few walks. That's about Carson's level too. The biggest difference for the team, though, was the infield settling in. There were four new starters there, and they really struggled up through about spring break, cost us a number of games with multiple errors. But they have been if not spectacular at least very solid for the last month, and it shows in runs allowed. We only gave up three in three regional tournament games. With Hurley and Mallory both sophomores, and six of our ten starters (we use a DH) sophomores and another an 8th-grader, we should at least be in the regional mix for the next few seasons.

Actually I gunned Hurley at 84 when he came in in relief when we played NL at West Jessamine last year, when he was just a freshman.....Yep, your right infield errors and control issues was the big factor in NL's game against JC @ Whittaker. Of course, I'm not trying to take anything away from our guys. We had a very good year too, just laid an egg in the district. I don't know if we have NL on the schedule next year or not, but I hope so. We have been fortunate to come out on top in our last two meetings, but I really enjoy playing quality teams such as NL. That's what makes the season exciting.