Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Collins-4 Spencer county-3 8th region championship
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Collins win its 1st region championship in school history!
Congrats to Spencer County on a great season, they had a good team this year. Congrats to the Titans on winning the championship and good luck at state!
Congrats, good luck....Tates Creek will be a tough chore.
CRESTWOOD – The Collins High School baseball team is going to State.

And, as has been the case this postseason, the Titans earned that right thanks to another nail-biter.

Collins slipped past Spencer County 4-3 Thursday night in the 8th Region Tournament final at South Oldham.

“This team knows how to win,” said Titans Coach Roy Bailey with what has become a familiar refrain for him given the fact that Collins has won four of its five tournament games by one run. “I wish they’d win by more. Thinking about it before the game, though, I figured it would be four to three or three to two, something like that.”

The Titans (32-6) will now take on 11th Region champ Tates Creek (32-6) at 8:30 p.m. Monday night in the first round of the 2013 Forcht Bank/KHSAA State Baseball Tournament at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington. The two teams have already met once this season. The Commodores clipped Collins 5-1 on April 26 in the Louisville Invitational Tournament.

Speaking of a familiar foe, Thursday’s game was the third meeting this season between the Titans and the Bears. Collins won the first two – 5-0 April 22 in Shelbyville, then 4-3 last Wednesday in the 30th District Tournament final at the Shelby County Athletic Complex. The Titans triumphed in the latter thanks to a walk-off walk. Similar to the last meeting, Collins moved out to the early lead, and then hung on.

The Titans tallied two runs in the bottom of the third inning when starting pitcher Buddy Johnson helped his own cause with a 2-out, bases-loaded single up the middle.

Spencer County (23-11) scratched one across in the top of the fourth when Colin Travis was allowed to go home after Collins third baseman Mason Jeffries was called for interfering with the base runner.
The Titans, though, padded their lead by adding a pair of runs in the bottom of the fifth. Logan Bailey singled with one out before Spencer’s Austin Heilman hit Nate Clifton with a pitch. Johnson then hit into a fielder’s choice (Bailey was out at third) before Heilman walked Zac Wiley to load the bases. Heilman, who seemed to be tiring at that point, then walked Dan Sanders to score Clifton. Moments later Heilman’s wild pitch brought in Johnson, making it 4-1. Brian Riggs then replaced Heilman on the mound and struck out Perry to end Collins’ threat.
Then Johnson, who picked up the save in Collins’ 7-6 victory over host South Oldham in the first round of the region tourney, gave up a leadoff single to Nick Vuick and a double to Riggs to start the sixth. After Josh Ferency struck out, Cole singled to left to score Vuick and Blake Lambdin (who was running for Riggs).
But Wiley, Collins’ catcher, came up the third base line to cut off the throw home and quickly threw to second, where Cole was tagged out trying to stretch his hit into a double. Johnson got the next batter, Chase Barnes, to ground out to get out of the top of the inning.
That was it for Johnson, as the senior right-hander gave up three earned runs on eight hits while walking two and striking out five in six innings.
“He gritted it out,” Bailey said. “He may not have had his best stuff, but the main thing was that he was tough mentally.”
Sanders came on in the seventh and closed the door on the Bears, striking out Lance Shelton to end the game. It was the second save of the season for Sanders, who is 10-0 as a starter.
“This is huge, we just made history,” he said of the program’s first regional title.
Johnson and Sanders were joined on the all-tournament team by classmates Nate Clifton and David Decker. Decker, the hero of the Titans’ semifinal victory over Simon Kenton, was named most valuable player of the tournament.
Afterward, Decker was enjoying the moment on the field while holding the regional championship trophy in his right hand and the regional MVP trophy in his left hand.
“It’s really awesome,” he said. “I’m just so excited we get to go to the state tournament in Lexington.”

COLLINS 4, SPENCER COUNTY 3

Spencer County 000 102 0 – 3 8 0
Collins 002 020 X – 4 5 0

Austin Heilman, Brian Riggs (5) and Nathan Connard. Buddy Johnson, Dan
Sanders (7) and Zac Wiley.

W – Johnson (5-1). L – Heilman. SV - Sanders (2).

2B – Riggs (SC).

Records – Spencer County 23-11, Collins 32-6.

http://www.sentinelnews.com/content/tita...rney-title
In just its third year, Collins High School's baseball team is headed to its first KHSAA State Tournament after holding on to edge Spencer County 4-3 Thursday night in the finals of the Eighth Region Tournament at South Oldham.

The Titans (32-6) next will face Lexington Tates Creek on June 3 in Lexington. On April 26, Tates Creek beat Collins 5-1 in the Louisville Invitational.

Collins got a couple of key hits and dodged a few bullets from the Bears (23-11), who also were trying to win their first regional title.

"That's the way we've been doing it the last few games," said Collins coach Roy Bailey Jr. "We just can't make it easy for ourselves. It seems like we've always got to have the drama and somehow find a way to pull it out.

"I've said it over and over and over: This team knows how to win," Bailey said. "I just wish they'd win by a few more runs."

Spencer County put together a bases-loaded two-out threat in the top of the first inning after Nick Vuick was hit by a pitch and Josh Ferency and Jacob Cole delivered back-to-back singles to left.

But Collins starter Buddy Johnson retired Chase Barnes on a groundout to short.

"He's mentally tough," Bailey said of Johnson. "He's done it for us all year. I knew he'd give us a quality start. ... He doesn't let things bother him."

In the bottom of the third inning, Johnson was involved in the same situation. This time, however, he was the batter with two on and two out, and delivered a two-run single to center field as Bryson Dillow, pinch-running for Paul Miller, and David Decker scored.

"I was looking for a fastball," Johnson said. "I saw it and took it right up the middle."

Spencer County cut the deficit to 2-1 in the top of the fourth inning after Jacob Cole reached on an infield single. Colin Travis, who was headed around third, stopped and was given home when Collins third baseman Mason Jeffries was called for interfering with runner.

Collins added to its lead in the bottom of the fifth inning as Spencer County starter Austin Heilman walked four batters, hit another and gave up two runs.

Spencer County sliced the deficit to 4-3 as Cole singled to left field, scoring Vuick and Blake Lambdin. However, Cole was thrown out at second base while trying to stretch as single.

"That was a big play because it was the tying run on base," said Spencer County coach Steve Slaughter, who was coaching his last game after announcing his retirement earlier in the season.

"... I told those guys -- I'm graduating with them," Slaughter said. "They got us to the last game and gave us an opportunity to go to the state tournament. You can't ask anything more from a team."

http://www.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...3305300097