Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: TN Rep: The Bible Says Not To Feed The ‘Unwilling To Work,’
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:As the GOP keeps looking for somewhere to cut government spending that won’t affect their pockets at all, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, is now in their sights for cuts that could potentially devastate families who need it most.

Almost 47 million Americans are now receiving benefits under SNAP, also known as ‘food stamps’, and many of those are children, elderly, disabled, or working poor. As expected in troubled economic times, enrollment in the program skyrocketed and with it the costs of the program, which more than doubled to $80 billion. What many people don’t know is that food stamps are funded under the Farm Bill, the same bill that funds Federal subsidies for farmers.

So as the House Agriculture Committee debated this week over how much to cut from SNAP, it was not surprising that Representative Juan Vargas, a California Democrat, would remind the committee to follow the example set forth by Jesus, who said that how we treat the least among us is how we treat him. Of course, not to be out-Bibled, Representative Stephen Fincher, a Tennessee Republican, came back with his own Bible verse, quoting the Old Testament when he said, “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

Really? Is that how we see the least fortunate among us? As lazy? Last I checked, there were laws against child labor in this country, and children make up almost half of all SNAP beneficiaries. Further, since many of the jobs that have been created since the economic recovery began are low wage jobs, it is to be expected that many of the families on the program are what are called ‘working poor’; families that do work but do not make a living wage.

But Rep. Fincher certainly doesn’t fall under this category. The Fincher family owns a 2500 acre farm in western Tennessee that brings in MILLIONS of dollars in Federal farm subsidies from the very bill he says needs to be targeted for its food stamps benefits. Make no mistake, this is no small family farm. Not one to miss out on any free government money, Fincher also took a grant from the state of Tennessee, as did his father, that allowed for taxpayers to buy them new farm equipment. That’s free to them. Free work related materials. FREE.

But free is only okay if it benefits him, evidently. Free is no longer okay when it comes to giving poor children, disabled, and elderly enough food to barely keep them from starving. Fact is that the amount of benefits granted by the SNAP program is very low, $668 for a family of four. If your family of four makes more than $1,921 a month, you do not qualify. To give perspective, the USDA says a modest food budget for a family of four with children between the ages of 6 to 11 years old is about $1,024.70. That is $356.70 higher than the allowance received through SNAP. For this reason, most benefits run out before the month is over.

Rep. Fincher has already been hearing from angry voters after bragging about the passage of the proposed cuts to SNAP benefits (all while keeping government farm subsidies in tact). On his Facebook page, people are letting him know what they think of his politics with comments such as:

Looks like you haven’t missed any meals lately…do you even know how it feels to be hungry? You are a dumbass!

“The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat” ~Fincher
Guess you better tighten your belt, parasite.
Did you mention what benefits Fincher Farms will get put of this and how many more 8th dist kids will starve as you reduced the USDA SNAP benefits in favor of your financial supporters. Sounds like something the Devil would do.

With politics like his, it’s only fitting that Rep. Fincher would now be feeling the heat that his un-weatherbeaten skin has obviously never experienced in his career as a “farmer.”

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/05/21/...s-to-kids/
TheRealVille Wrote:http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/05/21/...s-to-kids/

Another one of your brainless wild-eyed sources. Since you have no regard for Holy Scriptures, I won't bother to explain to you what the verse means. The representative is not comparing dependent children with the deadbeats who won't work. Of course, you must defend the deadbeats since they played a major role in getting your boy elected.

I don't know if you are really at least of average intelligence and like to twist and cherry pick all that you post. Or if, on the other hand, you are really as dumb as you make yourself appear. I suspect the latter.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Another one of your brainless wild-eyed sources. Since you have no regard for Holy Scriptures, I won't bother to explain to you what the verse means. The representative is not comparing dependent children with the deadbeats who won't work. Of course, you must defend the deadbeats since they played a major role in getting your boy elected.

I don't know if you are really at least of average intelligence and like to twist and cherry pick all that you post. Or if, on the other hand, you are really as dumb as you make yourself appear. I suspect the latter.
What I find ironic is the fact that he wants to cut funds from a program that his family so heavily relies on.
[Image: 417827_660696373957381_841579502_n.jpg]
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Another one of your brainless wild-eyed sources. Since you have no regard for Holy Scriptures, I won't bother to explain to you what the verse means. The representative is not comparing dependent children with the deadbeats who won't work. Of course, you must defend the deadbeats since they played a major role in getting your boy elected.

Empathy, coupled with compassion, is my religion. A few of you guys here don't know anything about that religion.
Until there is a way to regulate how food stamps are used by the persons receiving them, its a bad ideal. And, im not sure theres a way to do that.
Buying 40 cases of soda and reselling them is not what its meant for.
TheRealVille Wrote:Empathy, coupled with compassion, is my religion. A few of you guys here don't know anything about that religion.

Does that empathy and compassion extend to the many who spend their food stamps and trade the goods for drugs? You know it is done frequently as do I. All reasonable citizens want to provide assistance for those who can't help themselves. That is, if you will excuse the phrase, our Christian duty. The problem is the millions who scam the system. It might be a good solution if your boys would clean up the system. Of course, that would cost them votes.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Until there is a way to regulate how food stamps are used by the persons receiving them, its a bad ideal. And, im not sure theres a way to do that.
Buying 40 cases of soda and reselling them is not what its meant for.

You regulate food stamps by only allowing them to be used on necessity items (certain foods, water, milk, baby items, etc...) allowing them to buy steaks, pop, junk food, etc... is what drives me nuts...
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Does that empathy and compassion extend to the many who spend their food stamps and trade the goods for drugs? You know it is done frequently as do I. All reasonable citizens want to provide assistance for those who can't help themselves. That is, if you will excuse the phrase, our Christian duty. The problem is the millions who scam the system. It might be a good solution if your boys would clean up the system. Of course, that would cost them votes.
I realize there are problems, but you don't punish the good with the bad. Why my boys? Yours are, and have been, there the same as mine. To be horribly honest, it isn't that hard to beat the "new style republican", as it is being swamped by people like we see here at BGR on a daily basis, and in the south, and big time red states. Until you get rid of the "angry white man" club, and quit hating everybody but ones that belong to the angry white man club, you are going to be easy pickens in voting districts that can really make a difference to your party.
^ To be clear, I'm not lumping all republicans at BGR with a few. I know there are very good republicans, Christians, and people, on this board, and I distinguish between them, and some.
judgementday Wrote:You regulate food stamps by only allowing them to be used on necessity items (certain foods, water, milk, baby items, etc...) allowing them to buy steaks, pop, junk food, etc... is what drives me nuts...
Exactly. Bad eggs will still flaunt the system, but it will slow down some bad spending. Some things will never be able to be stopped, like the recipient going to the store and wiping the card out, then selling the stuff. We just need to try to come up with solutions that keeps the kids in those households fed, and punish the parents that do it.
Make food stamps only usable on nutritious cheap foods, when I worked at food city people would by lobsters, and filet mignon with them. That isn't republican propaganda either I have seen that personally many many times. And it seemed to me like the people who were truly struggling to survive were the ones receiving the least in food stamps.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Make food stamps only usable on nutritious cheap foods, when I worked at food city people would by lobsters, and filet mignon with them. That isn't republican propaganda either I have seen that personally many many times. And it seemed to me like the people who were truly struggling to survive were the ones receiving the least in food stamps.
100% agree. But, while I agree, we would be denigrating people on food stamps, if we make them buy generic foods, and not allowed to have some luxury items. I don't have a solution, but there has to be something that can be done. Maybe a lifetime limit amount, like welfare. That forces them to be more responsible. If they have a limit, they might shop wiser, and budget, like we do.
judgementday Wrote:You regulate food stamps by only allowing them to be used on necessity items (certain foods, water, milk, baby items, etc...) allowing them to buy steaks, pop, junk food, etc... is what drives me nuts...

That settles nothing. The current scam is to spend the food stamps on qualifying goods and then taking them and selling them for a fraction of the cost. Or, as many do, trading the goods for drugs.

You boys need to catch up on the reality of the situation.
See below.
TheRealVille Wrote:Exactly. Bad eggs will still flaunt the system, but it will slow down some bad spending. Some things will never be able to be stopped, like the recipient going to the store and wiping the card out, then selling the stuff. We just need to try to come up with solutions that keeps the kids in those households fed, and punish the parents that do it.

What needs to be done is to initiate a system that bypasses the "parents". Or, why not have the recipients use their food stamps at a central location. Have all products clearly marked as being food stamp items? That would make it more difficult for middlemen to buy and resell. The old commodity program worked that way. The items were clearly marked. Resale was not completely stopped but it was seriously curtailed.

While some will say that it would embarrass the recipients, I would suggest that it is better to be embarrassed than to have a house full of hungry occupants. And, if they are embarrassed, maybe they will attempt to seek gainful employment.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:What needs to be done is to initiate a system that bypasses the "parents". Or, why not have the recipients use their food stamps at a central location. Have all products clearly marked as being food stamp items? That would make it more difficult for middlemen to buy and resell. The old commodity program worked that way. The items were clearly marked. Resale was not completely stopped but it was seriously curtailed.

While some will say that it would embarrass the recipients, I would suggest that it is better to be embarrassed than to have a house full of hungry occupants. And, if they are embarrassed, maybe they will attempt to seek gainful employment.
Maybe we have found common ground. The only problem I would see is the last part about the embarrassment part. Some solution would have to come on that part, other than embarrassment, or it would never fly. Though, I don't have an idea on how. As long as kids got fed, and people that actually needed it, didn't get embarrassed, I would have no problem with embarrassing the moochers, cheaters, and druggies.
TheRealVille Wrote:Maybe we have found common ground. The only problem I would see is the last part about the embarrassment part. Some solution would have to come on that part, other than embarrassment, or it would never fly. Though, I don't have an idea on how. As long as kids got fed, and people that actually needed it, didn't get embarrassed, I would have no problem with embarrassing the moochers, cheaters, and druggies.

I would prefer to avoid embarrassing anyone- particularly the truly needy. However, if it got down to being embarrassed or having my children go hungry, I believe the choice is obvious. And, if they are embarrassed, maybe they will attempt to get away from food stamps. At present, there is no incentive to do so.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:I would prefer to avoid embarrassing anyone- particularly the truly needy. However, if it got down to being embarrassed or having my children go hungry, I believe the choice is obvious. And, if they are embarrassed, maybe they will attempt to get away from food stamps. At present, there is no incentive to do so.
Can't disagree.
^ When I agree with you, I'll tell you I agree with you, no matter how far apart we are politically.

I had typed that in my post but must have accidentally deleted it.
Food stamps are fine for those who truly need it, but it needs to be regulated to pretty much milk, bread, and rice. The WIC program pretty much helps with the different baby items, but until something is done, people will continue to abuse it.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I had typed that in my post but must have accidentally deleted it.
Food stamps are fine for those who truly need it, but it needs to be regulated to pretty much milk, bread, and rice. The WIC program pretty much helps with the different baby items, but until something is done, people will continue to abuse it.
I would add meat and beans, but that's where it could get touchy, meat.
The simple solution is to have certain goods in bulk that can only be purchased with food stamps, and that is also only what food stamps can be used for.

Large bags of beans, rice, etc..

No soda, no sweets, no frozen meals, or w/e... only bulk basics.

If you want "luxury" items, feel free to get out and work for it.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:That settles nothing. The current scam is to spend the food stamps on qualifying goods and then taking them and selling them for a fraction of the cost. Or, as many do, trading the goods for drugs.

It settles the fact that people cannot go and sell their pop or steaks out in a parking lot. Or take it home and give it away to their druggy family members...

If they can only buy water, selected meats, etc... I bet you they either get a job or learn to enjoy bread and water.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:That settles nothing. The current scam is to spend the food stamps on qualifying goods and then taking them and selling them for a fraction of the cost. Or, as many do, trading the goods for drugs.

And I am pretty sure I know the reality of the situation as I experience it every time I shop at my local market or look at my neighbors....hell, even my brother when living, took advantage of the system.
I'm with you. The mode of operation in this area is for the food stamp recipient to spend the stamps on items such as soft drinks, potato chips, and related junk food items. They then take their goods to someone, often a small grocery store, and sell them for pennies on the dollar. The purchaser/grocer then sells the goods for a large profit. The food stamp recipient spends his/her money on drugs, cigarettes, cheap alcohol, etc.

They don't often use the stamps to purchase expensive items because it raises the attention of others and the resale value isn't as good as the junk food.

These scams don't cost the taxpayers millions of dollars each year. It costs us Billions of dollars each year. And, rather than playing hardball with these criminals, the federal government advertises openly, in several languages of course, trying to recruit more food stamp recipients. Some might suggest the administration is buying votes with our tax dollars. After all, we all know that the nasty Republicans want poor people to starve. I have heard that from such upstanding experts as Al Sharpton, Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell, Ed Schultz, and Chris Matthews. Haven't you?
Food stamps should be usable on the following.

Wic Approved Items, such as milk fruit, cheese, eggs, and formula.

Non premium meats, such as pork, ground beef, cheaper fish like catfish or tilapia, and anything up to and including sirloin steaks.

Dry grocery items, and canned goods.

Essentially the items necessary to keep people healthy. That could help a lot of people by getting the folks that really need help more in food stamps, because those doing it for profit couldn't make money.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Food stamps should be usable on the following.

Wic Approved Items, such as milk fruit, cheese, eggs, and formula.

Non premium meats, such as pork, ground beef, cheaper fish like catfish or tilapia, and anything up to and including sirloin steaks.

Dry grocery items, and canned goods.

Essentially the items necessary to keep people healthy. That could help a lot of people by getting the folks that really need help more in food stamps, because those doing it for profit couldn't make money.

It would serve to cut down drastically on the resale of the goods. Potato chips and sort drinks are far more marketable than ground beef and catfish.
I'm either in the twilight zone, or I've finally found a topic where I agree with most posters here. Smile
I can't believe you guys are old enough to remember commodities!!!
Pages: 1 2