Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Umpire signals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I saw something last night i've never seen before. The umpires were communicating with each other during the game via hand signals- arm brush, ear tugs, cap taps, that sort of thing. It looked like they were calling in pitches or plays or something.

What could they be communicating about during a game like that? If there's a question they should just confer and work it out as it is usually done.
i have seen umpire communicate with hand signals and other things to make sure they are working together. No one really knows what they are saying. i have never seen on tug their ear or as some say stealing signs. I have seen recently that umpires are out of position and dont know what the other one is doing. the 15th Region
The umpires sign to each other in order to make sure each one knows what their responsibilities are for the play. Signs indicate which bases they are watching and which areas they are looking at.
Trust Me Wrote:I saw something last night i've never seen before. The umpires were communicating with each other during the game via hand signals- arm brush, ear tugs, cap taps, that sort of thing. It looked like they were calling in pitches or plays or something.

What could they be communicating about during a game like that? If there's a question they should just confer and work it out as it is usually done.

Trust me, the signals you refer to are just reminders to the other umpire(s) and their return signal means that they are aware of the situation. Touching the bill of the cap means the infield fly rule is in effect. The arm brush means that the infield fly rule is no longer in effect AFTER it has been in effect. Pointing to the wrist means that there are two outs and the possibility of a timing play (runs scoring that count before the third out is recorded) exist. There is no great conspiracy; you can find these signals in any umpiring mechanics manual.
i have seen them do more than that from some unpires. But i guess every region and every umpire does something different to stay in the game
KHSAA Blue Wrote:Trust me, the signals you refer to are just reminders to the other umpire(s) and their return signal means that they are aware of the situation. Touching the bill of the cap means the infield fly rule is in effect. The arm brush means that the infield fly rule is no longer in effect AFTER it has been in effect. Pointing to the wrist means that there are two outs and the possibility of a timing play (runs scoring that count before the third out is recorded) exist. There is no great conspiracy; you can find these signals in any umpiring mechanics manual.

Excellent explanation. Many thanks.
Good explanation "KHSAA Blue", but I think what "Trust Me" is refering to are those officials who don't act very official and are doing all kinds of stuff. I've seen it a few times this year and couldn't believe my eyes. Definately look unprofessional.
I think the ear tug sign means their ear was either itching or something irritated it. I kid I kid.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:I think the ear tug sign means their ear was either itching or something irritated it. I kid I kid.

The "ear tug" is a new one to me. Nothing in the manuals on that one. Must be an inside joke for that particular crew. Confusednicker:
KHSAA Blue Wrote:The "ear tug" is a new one to me. Nothing in the manuals on that one. Must be an inside joke for that particular crew. Confusednicker:

Carol Burnette impersonator. That has to be it.
Thanks Blue. How many different signs are there?
Rollitover Wrote:Thanks Blue. How many different signs are there?

My earlier post had listed the bulk of the signals between umpires. There is a another signal that indicates when the umpires will rotate (move to cover another base such as the plate umpire coming down to cover third and the third base umpire moving to cover second base). This one is usually signaled by the plate umpire to the base umpire(s) by knocking his fists together on top of one another and then pointed to third. Also, if you see a plate umpire raise both hands and then point down at the plate with the forefingers of both hands, that means he is staying at the plate on the upcoming play (and NOT rotating to third). The other common signals used (safe, out, time) are self evident. We used to have a signal that signified a "delayed" dead ball (straight arm outstretched at a 90 degree angle with a closed fist. This signal was very rarely used and now is no longer included in the umpire manuals. Hope this information helps you understand our "secret" society... :biggrin:
I guess these are all good and they might be helpful, but isnt the important thing is to get the call right. Doing all these signals and whatever seems to take away from getting the call right. Well i see alot of things that cause officals to not get the call right.
golfer30 Wrote:I guess these are all good and they might be helpful, but isnt the important thing is to get the call right. Doing all these signals and whatever seems to take away from getting the call right. Well i see alot of things that cause officals to not get the call right.

Not trying to be argumentative at all but all of these signs are performed pre-pitch. Their attention is undivided during the play.

I think these signs allow the umpires to be more prepared to make the proper call.

It sounds as though you've just had an experience with a bad umpire.
I guess that maybe it that i have had bad experience with umpires. Most of who arent approachable, want to be seen, and miss simple calls.
golfer30 Wrote:I guess that maybe it that i have had bad experience with umpires. Most of who arent approachable, want to be seen, and miss simple calls.

G30, given your opinion of umpires in general, I would suggest that you try it and see how "easy" it actually is... Over the years, I have suggested this to several umpire critics and a few have taken me up on it. ALL of them have a revelation that it's not as "easy" as it looks. It takes years of training and experience to become a competent umpire. Sure we have our rookies and brothers who should have chosen another profession, but on the whole, we know what we're doing and how to deal with coaches and players. There are exceptions to every rule but your post shows your inexperience in evaluating umpires or you would have never made such a statement.
I am not saying that is it easy. I am not saying that some are better than others, but the ones that are suppose to be the better officals dont like to be questioned and they look for reasons to show they have power. And some that i have seen they want to change the outcome of the game by been seen.
As with anything there is always the good, the bad, and the ugly. I've seen all three from the start of kid pitch to high school.

Thanks to the good, tolerate the bad, and the ugly need to find something else to do with their time.

The best circumstance is one when your team doesn't enable blue to influence an outcome. And when a team plays good baseball that is generally the case.

Thanks for the clarifications Blue!
Spirit100 Wrote:As with anything there is always the good, the bad, and the ugly. I've seen all three from the start of kid pitch to high school.

Thanks to the good, tolerate the bad, and the ugly need to find something else to do with their time.

The best circumstance is one when your team doesn't enable blue to influence an outcome. And when a team plays good baseball that is generally the case.

Thanks for the clarifications Blue!

Spirit100 (and Trust Me) you're most welcome. I generally only jump into discussions when I think I can help clarify the issue. :Thumbs:
You're almost correct, We as umpires use signals alot to communicate to make sure who has what and other things.. We use the arm brush to tell each other that there is a possible stealing base situation. The tap of the wrist is usaully in little league only talking about the time limit of the game but in high school it can be used as calling a bang-bang play..