Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Saddam Hussein: if I'm Convicted Shoot Me
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- A thinner but combative Saddam Hussein returned to court Wednesday for the first time since his hunger strike and hospitalization, complaining he had been forced to attend the proceedings and asking to be executed by firing squad if the court sentences him to death.

"I was brought against my will directly from the hospital," Saddam told the chief judge. "The Americans insisted that I come against my will. This is not fair."

He asked the court to execute him by firing squad - "not by hanging as a common criminal" - if it convicts him of all charges and sentences him to death.

"I ask you being an Iraqi person that if you reach a verdict of death, execution, remember that I am a military man and should be killed by firing squad," he said.

[Image: spacer.gif]AP_Tacoda_AMS_DDC_addPair("SECTION", "INTERNATIONAL; MIDDLE EAST")AP_Tacoda_AMS_DDC("http://te.ap.org/tte/blank.gif", "1.0")http://te.ap.org/tte/blank.gif?0.6458393779369287&snippet_version=1.3.a&referrer=http%3A//www.dispatch.com/&page=http%3A//hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SADDAM_TRIAL%3FSITE%3DOHCOL%26SECTION%3DHOME&timezone=420&var_SECTION=INTERNATIONAL%3B%20MIDDLE%20EAST [Image: spacer.gif][Image: spacer.gif]

Chief Judge Raouf Abdel-Rahman reminded Saddam that the trial was still under way and that the court had not reached a verdict. Executions in Iraq are normally by hanging.

Saddam and seven co-defendants have been on trial since Oct. 19 in the killing and torture of Shiites in Dujail following a 1982 assassination attempt against him there. The prosecution has asked for the death penalty for Saddam and two of the seven others.

As the session began Wednesday, the ousted president was allowed to make a statement, beginning with a verse from the Quran, in which he challenged the validity and impartiality of the court. He then repeated a theme he has voiced since the start of the trial - that the panel is an illegal instrument of the American occupation.

As he argued with the chief judge, Saddam raised his hands, pointed his finger and said: "Not even 1,000 people like you can terrify me."The invaders only understand the language of the gun," Saddam said. "I am in prison but the knights outside will liberate the country."

Saddam last attended the proceedings on June 19 when chief prosecutor Jaafar al-Moussawi asked the court to impose the death penalty on the former ruler for his role in the deaths of Shiite Muslims in Dujail following a 1982 assassination attempt against him.

The hunger strike and the lawyers' boycott followed last month's kidnap-slaying of defense attorney Khamis al-Obeidi, the third defense attorney slain since the trial began. The defense has accused Shiite militias for the killing.

During one of Saddam's outbursts, Abdel-Rahman accused the ex-president of inciting violence against Iraqis. Saddam responded: "I am inciting the killing of Americans and invaders, not the killing of Iraqis. I am Saddam Hussein. I call Iraqis to be in harmony and work on evicting the invaders."

The judge told him that insurgents are killing an average of 60 Iraqis every day - and only two Americans. "Why are they attacking Iraqis in coffee shops and markets? Why don't they go detonate themselves among Americans?" he asked.

Saddam replied: "This case is not worth the urine of an Iraqi child."

Saddam then said he had told his followers "that if you see an American vehicle and you can strike it" but the judge turned off his microphones before the former leader could finish.

Earlier, Saddam told the judge that "if you were a real Iraqi, you would know that your country is going through extraordinary conditions."

"We not only resist this occupation. We do not acknowledge it. We do not acknowledge all the decisions it has made, including appointing the so-called government and this court you represent," Saddam said.

Abdel-Rahman interrupted, saying "you were not brought here against your will. Here's the medical report ... and it indicates that you are in good shape."

"I didn't say I was ill," Saddam snapped back. "I was on a hunger strike."

During his remarks, Saddam also objected to having a court-appointed attorney deliver the final summation on his behalf. The replacement was appointed after the regular defense team boycotted the proceedings, claiming bias by the court and to press demands for better security for its members.

"Where are your lawyers," the judge asked. "They're staying outside in front of the TV screens and inciting violence. Those are lawyers? Having millions of dinars? Listen Saddam Hussein, your lawyers have millions of dinars and are inciting violence."

As the court-appointed lawyer began to speak, Saddam interrupted him.

"You are my enemy. Who appointed you?" he asked. "I challenge you to read this on your own. He probably didn't even write this. The American agent, the spy probably wrote this for him."

During the summation, the court-appointed lawyer, whose identity was kept secret for security reasons, said the documents and witnesses presented by the prosecution did not tie Saddam personally to any killings and torture of the Dujail Shiites.

"Instead they refer to 'Saddam the tyrant,' 'Saddam the killer' ... and such references that reflect being written by people who are not impartial," the lawyer said.

"The documents lack any details when it comes to a specific role for Saddam in Dujail in 1982. There is no proof that when he was president he visited Dujail after the assassination attempt. There's no proof he was there when the detentions happened," the lawyer added.

With Saddam, the court has heard six of the eight final summations. After the final one is presented, the court will adjourn to consider a verdict, possibly in mid-August.

Saddam is due to stand trial Aug. 21 in a second case - the bloody crackdown on Iraqi Kurds in the 1980s.
A firing squad would be an injustice to all the people he has killed, so would hanging, but hanging would be less of an injustice
He need to be shot a bunch of times. A few in the legs, arms, and places that are not lethal so he can have torture for a while. Put him in a cell and let him rot for all I care and I'm sure that all of America feels nearly the same way. To put him to death would let him off the hook too easy. Let him actually PAY for what he has done.
Why should he even get a trial?? Some guy was talking about this on the radio today, and he say they should put a shock collar on him and when ever he speaks out of line, just push a button. His hunger strike lasted for 17 days didn't it?
He stated that he wanted to be shot like a military man should be. Not hung like a common criminal. The thing about it is, he was never in the military. He appointed himself a general after he took control of the country. I think he should be hung in the courthouse square like they used to. Make it a public showing. It might help with the problems we are having with the insurgents if they knew for a fact he was dead. If the sentence was carried out in private, then alot of people over there will think he is still alive.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:He stated that he wanted to be shot like a military man should be. Not hung like a common criminal. The thing about it is, he was never in the military. He appointed himself a general after he took control of the country. I think he should be hung in the courthouse square like they used to. Make it a public showing. It might help with the problems we are having with the insurgents if they knew for a fact he was dead. If the sentence was carried out in private, then alot of people over there will think he is still alive.

The thing is, all the people he had tortured and killed didn't even get the courtesy of peaceful deaths or even dying like common people.
No, rip each finger off, one by one, then toe nails. Then toes. The eyelashes, then eyelids. Then burn his ass at the stake.

This boy needs to suffer.
98NCCalum Wrote:No, rip each finger off, one by one, then toe nails. Then toes. The eyelashes, then eyelids. Then burn his ass at the stake.

This boy needs to suffer.

Before they do all that, give him paper cuts in the webbing in between his fingers and toes, then pour alcohol or something in the cuts (maybe not alcohol, because that would clean them, but something that would burn like alcohol)
How about bleach?
THUNDERCHILD Wrote:How about bleach?

:thumpsup: Good idea, but I bet there's something that could hurt more
I am sorry, I know he was a ruthless person when he was in control of his country, but I dont think that gives anyone the right to torture anyone else. He may deserve it, but it still isnt right. Why should others lower theirselfs to his level when they are supposed to be setting an example. Wouldnt the example be set better to have the sentence carried out the way it is supposed to be compaired to the way it was? If it would be ok to torture him for his past crimes, then would it be ok to cut the hand off of someone who is cought stealing? Think about what you are saying a little and see if the torture still holds weight to you.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I am sorry, I know he was a ruthless person when he was in control of his country, but I dont think that gives anyone the right to torture anyone else. He may deserve it, but it still isnt right. Why should others lower theirselfs to his level when they are supposed to be setting an example. Wouldnt the example be set better to have the sentence carried out the way it is supposed to be compaired to the way it was? If it would be ok to torture him for his past crimes, then would it be ok to cut the hand off of someone who is cought stealing? Think about what you are saying a little and see if the torture still holds weight to you.

Everyone makes mistakes, true, but consider the fact that he did it to thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, people and obviously never felt bad about one of them.