Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: North Laurel 5, Whitley Co. 1, 5/02
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well pitched game played at Whitaker Bank Park. Logan Mallory threw a one-hitter for North, the only run unearned, while Rose pitched very well for Whitley, should have been a 2-1 final, but a dropped fly ball with the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the sixth accounted for the final three runs. That came after Coach Adams walked Marcus Carson with first base open, the correct call, but it backfired with a fluke error.
In their last seven games, North has four shutouts, twice has allowed only one run, and shut out Pulaski for five innings before the first really bad inning of the year by Carson on the mound led to four runs and their only loss in that stretch. (Yes, two of the shutouts were Barbourville and McCreary, but they also have shutouts over Corbin and Hazard in that stretch). As well as Mallory, Carson and Zach Hurley are throwing right now, they have the three quality starters it takes to have a real shot at the region.
South is the best in the region, but not by the margin some of you seem to think. They have lost two of their last three (granted to good teams in Pulaski and Southwestern), but they are not invincible. North looked like a very solid choice last year and got spanked by Middlesboro. Could something similar happen to South this year?
South peaked too early.
Van Hagar Wrote:Well pitched game played at Whitaker Bank Park. Logan Mallory threw a one-hitter for North, the only run unearned, while Rose pitched very well for Whitley, should have been a 2-1 final, but a dropped fly ball with the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the sixth accounted for the final three runs. That came after Coach Adams walked Marcus Carson with first base open, the correct call, but it backfired with a fluke error.
In their last seven games, North has four shutouts, twice has allowed only one run, and shut out Pulaski for five innings before the first really bad inning of the year by Carson on the mound led to four runs and their only loss in that stretch. (Yes, two of the shutouts were Barbourville and McCreary, but they also have shutouts over Corbin and Hazard in that stretch). As well as Mallory, Carson and Zach Hurley are throwing right now, they have the three quality starters it takes to have a real shot at the region.
South is the best in the region, but not by the margin some of you seem to think. They have lost two of their last three (granted to good teams in Pulaski and Southwestern), but they are not invincible. North looked like a very solid choice last year and got spanked by Middlesboro. Could something similar happen to South this year?
What velocity was Mallory hitting on the ball park radar gun?
He was typically at 81-82, the max I remember were a couple at 83. He did hold on to his velocity through the full seven. The kid from Whitley was consistently at 80-81, threw well, I'm assuming he is their number one.
Was this a tournament or something? What was going on at Whitaker Park?
Mallory is a great pitcher.
I think North and Whitley are pretty even if you play 5 or 6 games, i thnk theyd about split.
I'd say North wins four of five.
BobbyKeith3 Wrote:South peaked too early.

South Laurel is having a few internal problems(parents). They are still the favorite, even though I think North Laurel may win it.
Souths staff is still pretty good. Allen, Martin, Vigent and Slavey make an awful good core. Sears has not given up a run all year with him healthy it makes their staff as good as any.
Norths pitching is what makes them really good, but there defense is no slouch either.
Great control in the field, but prone to mistakes against teams like South.

I still believe South is way ahead of the rest of the region, and mountains for that matter, with North moving there way up to second just ahead of Harlan County
Three things I take from this thread. If you compare what NL and SL did against a similar team in Whitley, then it's kinda laughable to say that SL isn't that far ahead of NL. But I hate when people do that, and NL could very well win the 13th this year. I would bet the farm that NL or SL one win it, with no other team really having much of a shot. Secondly, NL got smoked by Middlesboro last year due to idiotic coaching. 3rd. Don't put a lot of stock in the Whitaker radar gun. Last thing. Who is the internal problems for SL? 1st I've heard of this, but would like to hear more. Give initials if nothing else. LoL.
It was just a regular season game. North had played there earlier, but it was only about 35 degrees, their coach wanted them to get to experience it under better conditions. Whitley was agreeable, Whitaker had an opening, so they moved it. Jv teams even got to play, so it a good experience for all the kids.
What happened to the Ysidro kid at Whitley? Football only now I'm guessing? He was a heck of a baseball player, would have made Whitley a much more viable contender.
raisedseams Wrote:Three things I take from this thread. If you compare what NL and SL did against a similar team in Whitley, then it's kinda laughable to say that SL isn't that far ahead of NL. But I hate when people do that, and NL could very well win the 13th this year. I would bet the farm that NL or SL one win it, with no other team really having much of a shot. Secondly, NL got smoked by Middlesboro last year due to idiotic coaching. 3rd. Don't put a lot of stock in the Whitaker radar gun. Last thing. Who is the internal problems for SL? 1st I've heard of this, but would like to hear more. Give initials if nothing else. LoL.

1. South

2. Everybody else
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:1. South

2. Everybody else

I'm feeling better about the chances of someone beating South.
I don't think Whitley has been the same since you put them in the top three in the region Smile
Van Hagar Wrote:It was just a regular season game. North had played there earlier, but it was only about 35 degrees, their coach wanted them to get to experience it under better conditions. Whitley was agreeable, Whitaker had an opening, so they moved it. Jv teams even got to play, so it a good experience for all the kids.
What happened to the Ysidro kid at Whitley? Football only now I'm guessing? He was a heck of a baseball player, would have made Whitley a much more viable contender.

Ysidro had surgeryon his throwing shoulder afer football season. He will be playing baseball again next year.
HDE Wrote:I'm feeling better about the chances of someone beating South.
I don't think Whitley has been the same since you put them in the top three in the region Smile

A loss to North and Rock isnt to shabby.
Lets not forget that they beat Mboro and Clay. Confusedhh:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:A loss to North and Rock isnt to shabby.
Lets not forget that they beat Mboro and Clay. Confusedhh:

Splitting with Corbin isn't too bad either. They aren't top three yet though but could get into the top five with another win over Corbin in the tournament.
HDE Wrote:Splitting with Corbin isn't too bad either. They aren't top three yet though but could get into the top five with another win over Corbin in the tournament.

I think Whitley County is a solid squad as well. I do doubt the depth of their pitching staff though. I think they have a couple of good ones but am not sure they have enough to make it through the regional tournament.
^
Whitley can go two deep on pitching.
IMO, they beat Corbin in the first round of district and get drilled by South in the championship.

Then, they may win a game in the region depending on what district they draw.
If they get the 51st district, i think its a win.

Whitley is really solid with there tope two, then it slacks off, especially after there number 3.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
IMO, they beat Corbin in the first round of district and get drilled by South in the championship.

Whitley is really solid with there tope two, then it slacks off, especially after there number 3.

Whitley will have to beat Goins, who has pitched extremely well this year, if they are going to beat Corbin. Whoever plays the best defense will win the district matchup in my opinion.
SEKYFAN Wrote:Whitley will have to beat Goins, who has pitched extremely well this year, if they are going to beat Corbin. Whoever plays the best defense will win the district matchup in my opinion.

And Corbin will have to beat Alex Rose, who also has pitched extremely well this year. And from what is rumored, Corbin will also be without their best player who was dismissed from the team for violating team rules. But I do agree that whoever plays the best defense will win.

Adams is IMO a very good coach. The S Laurel series was kind of bumfuzzling to me as Whitley didnt throw Rose, Watson or Jackson 1 pitch.
Just like the supposed internal problems at South, hadn't heard anything about Corbin's best player getting booted. Even after seeing Corbin play about three times this year I have no idea who their best player is, but I do know for sure Goins is their top pitcher. Wasn't him was it?

And I think you are dead on the money with that. I just get the feeling that they are going to squeak by Corbin in the district. Then they could definitely beat Knox Central with Rose, and I think they could probably beat Middlesboro with him if the Jackets happen to win the 52nd. But that is probably as far as it could go this year.
footballfever Wrote:Adams is IMO a very good coach. The S Laurel series was kind of bumfuzzling to me as Whitley didnt throw Rose, Watson or Jackson 1 pitch.

I will admit Im surprised Adams has done as good of a job as he has.
Hes the first baseball coach in years that takes a hard line with the kids.
I didnt like him at all as an assistant bball coach, but he has done very well with the baseball team.

If im not mistaken, hes from painstville.

I wasnt to surprised that he didnt throw them against South. He knew what he was getting in with South and all three needed rest after a tough stretch of games, plus, losses to South were very likely anyways.

Rose can pitch with anybody in the region most days. The Rose/Goins matchup in inevitable in the first round of district, and as someone else said, defense will be the difference. Luckily, I think Whitleys defense is much more sound than Corbins.

Lets not forget this is an extremely young team as well. Only two seniors i believe. However, the two seniors are Rose and Jackson. If they can find a way to replace the pitching, then i expect them to be a top 3 team in the region next year.
Van Hagar Wrote:Just like the supposed internal problems at South, hadn't heard anything about Corbin's best player getting booted. Even after seeing Corbin play about three times this year I have no idea who their best player is, but I do know for sure Goins is their top pitcher. Wasn't him was it?

It wasn't Goins. The kid who was suspended is a very good player, but I'm like you, Corbin doesn't really have any position players that stand out. Corbin's pitching has improved over the course of the year, with Brown and Combs both pitching well right now, to go along with Goins.