Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bengals Draft Picks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With their first pick in the draft, 21st overall selection, they take TE Tyler Eifert from Notre Dame. He's 6'5 1/2'' 250lbs.

What does everyone think of this pick?
Great Pick!
ekff Wrote:Great Pick!

Well, I'm glad you like the pick. I for one don't understand the pick. We have Jermaine Gresham who is a Pro Bowl Tight End and then we have Orson Charles who is really good too. On top of that we have Alex Smith who is a decent 3rd string TE.

I figured they would have either gone with a RB or defensive player.
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:Well, I'm glad you like the pick. I for one don't understand the pick. We have Jermaine Gresham who is a Pro Bowl Tight End and then we have Orson Charles who is really good too. On top of that we have Alex Smith who is a decent 3rd string TE.

I figured they would have either gone with a RB or defensive player.

He for one is a Colts fan, so it really doesn't matter. Secondly he is a Notre Dame fan & is just glad to see someone from his school go in the first round. I like you, was in confusion & somewhat still sick over it. While I can live with it because Eifert is one of the better receiving TE's in the draft over the last few years, we already have Gresham as a pass catcher. Gresham has gotten better with his blocking, but two pass catching TE's can be dangerous. I think Jay Gruden, is thinking of an offense similar to the Patriots with Gronkowski & Hernandez. However, I would have been happier with a TE with better blocking skills to support the edge running game.

At that pick, I was thinking trade down for more picks. However, I would have been pleased with Eddie Lacy or Matt Elam at that point. Now we're looking at maybe getting Jonathan Cyprien at safety. SMH. But we're have to pull the trigger on a safety in the second round, as Cyprien & Swearinger are the only two left that could come in & possibly take on a starting role. With the early trade ups for Jordan & Austin, I was really hoping for Vaccaro to fall to us. I was really hoping Saints would go for Jarvis Jones. Be prepared for more shocking picks from the Bengals staff tomorrow. Makes me ill.
I love it, great move by the Bengals.
U all will be saying Gresham who in 2 years. Eifert will be a great player in the NFL. He is a recieving TE.
The worst pick in the whole first round by any team this year!!! We already have enough TE why in the hell would they pick another one??? Never mind Mike Brown has no clue how to build a good team.. The needs were RB or safety so who knows what this team is thinking..
I LOVE IT!!!!

Great direction by the Bengals. The Patriots have set the standard for this type of offense. Eiftert and Gresham reminds me exactly of Gronk & Hernandez! Having a fantastic back-up and very good special teams player in Charles gives them depth that will keep two great tight ends on the field at all times. This type of offense only requires one true Wide Receiver on the field, a HOME RUN HITTER! AJ can now play the role that Randy Moss played in that Pats offense that was the greatest EVER! Hawkins and Sanu gives you the Slot guy that Welker played. This is a GREAT PICK!
It will be a good pick if the Bengals use him accordingly.

I would have liked to see them address S, LB, OL, or RB...let me count the ways. TE would have been the lowest on my priority list. Elam was there, Ogletree was there as well.

Smith hasn't signed yet either. Hope this doesn't come back to haunt. Interesting how 8 other teams in the NFL chose OL. Can't ever go wrong with additional lineman!

So when and if the injury bug hits and the Bengals are scrambling for cast off OL from other squads. I hope they find a good one.

If Eifert sits behind Gresham and doesn't play this will be a crap pick. So lets hope we see a lot of dual TE sets this fall offering another short to mid range option for red rifle to go to!

Praying the second round goes well. GO BENGALS!
The Red Rifle has plenty of weapons now.

A.J Green, Mohamed Sanu, Jermaine Gresham & now Tyler Eifert.

That is stout right there.
Eifert is a TE that can be used like Dallas Clark, can play some slot.
Bengals have had a good draft through 2 rounds.
Why would they not take Lacey in 2nd round instead of this RB from unc??
Bernard is a good back, hard nosed but I agree Lacey seem like a better choice and the clearly the best back available.However I'm sure their front office seen/knows more than us.
From a Rival fans perspective, Cincy has had one of the better drafts this year.
However, they really need help on defense. There offense is good, and young, so its something to be excited about, but they have to start building a good defense which is what the AFC North is all about.

On a side note, be glad you didnt get Manti. I told some of you he wasn't first round material, and to be honest, i was surprised he went in the second.

I cant believe Lacy hasnt went yet. RB's are just not needed this year.
The Jets have drafted another QB which gives them 15 on the roster.
I hope the honey badger is still around in the 3rd, and the Ravens take him, off the field issues or not, he is the best DB in this draft when he head is on right.
panther nation Wrote:Why would they not take Lacey in 2nd round instead of this RB from unc??

Because an injury prone ACC back was a better fit at the time. You are welcome division rivals in advance!
Spirit100 Wrote:Because an injury prone ACC back was a better fit at the time. You are welcome division rivals in advance!

Actually, it's more of the type of back he is. Lacy is a back very similar to BJGE & having two wouldn't have been much help. While we have Bernard Scott & Cedric Peerman to carry 3rd down/pass catching back duties we needed someone that was a little better than them. Lacy will turn out to be a steal for the Packers, he's the same mold back of Trent Richardson & he'll make noise as a rookie. I was at least hoping for someone a little more proven like Montee Ball. I was also sick when we passed on D.J. Swearinger in the second too. The good news is we resigned Andre Smith today. The bad news we brought in another lack of impact back & another Taylor Mays at safety. If Chris Crocker can go another year, we may be calling for his services after the preseason. Not to mention we brought in Michael Johnson's replacement at end in Mike Mamula-esque Combine Workout Warrior Margus Hunt. SMH.
I wanted Lacy, but after I listened for three days from all of the prognosticators to be fearful of Bama running backs, I took him off my chart. It's made me wonder how good are the Bama boys. After watching day one put Bama linemen throughout the first round, I figured that even Panther Nation could have been a Heisman runner running behind that line! Add in that the Bengals need a scat back that is shifty and can get in holes, plus Lacy in another Benjarvus, and I am OK with not taking Lacy!
MVP2 Wrote:Bernard is a good back, hard nosed but I agree Lacey seem like a better choice and the clearly the best back available.However I'm sure their front office seen/knows more than us.

No, this is unacceptable, we know more Confusednicker:

Bernard will do just fine. I'm worried about his health. And don't let him play against Detroit in the pre-season. All of our RB draft picks go to Detroit and get hurt.

Pleased they signed Smith.

The Georgia Safety won't have an immediate impact, however, may assist in the late season and could contend for a starting role in 2014.

Not sure about the Estonia guy. The Bengals did this in the past with a shot and discus throwing lineman. It didn't work out in the long run. Hope history doesn't repeat itself. The knock on this guy is he plays straight up too much and needs to develop his downhill technique otherwise OTs are going to eat this guy for lunch.

Hope they acquire lineman and lb depth for the future in the remaining rounds. GO BENGALS!
Nope they pick another RB, brilliant Brown family, brilliant. Again these clowns in leadership make it hard to be a fan.
Spirit100 Wrote:Nope they pick another RB, brilliant Brown family, brilliant. Again these clowns in leadership make it hard to be a fan.

From my account they took:

TE Tyler Eifert
RB Giovanni Bernard
DE Margus Hunt
S Shawn Williams
G Tanner Hawkinson
RB Rex Burkhead
LB Sean Porter
WR Colby Hamilton

They've met our needs as far as reserves go, but can't say I'm real pleased with the overall picks. Burkhead was brought in to fill the void left by the departure of Brian Leonard.
Happy they picked up the LB and a few lineman who according to the "experts" slid to the later rounds. Bengal OL coach is pleased with them and he does a good job with his resources.

I agree with you Blur about addressing reserves. I have concerns as well. If they utilize the dual TE sets this season with success, Bernard stays healthy, and the Freak 2.0 evolves and contributes….GREAT!

If they don't, Bernard hops on the injury train, and our LBs continue to make tackles 5-7 yards off the los I'll be salty. I would have liked to have seen a ILB, S, and OL taken earlier. Guess the staff feels Reymal and Skuta will participate in some offseason regimen which transform them into better players. Lawson left for the Bills as well. Maybe Moch overcomes his migraines amongst other things.

Burfict and Harrison are going to be carrying a big load. Hope Crocker and Nelson are prepared to get on their horses quickly to clean up Reymals misses.

It'd be nice to see Kirkpatrick and Iloka on the field more this season. Going to have to take a glass half full approach going into the summer. I'm not holding my breadth, but maybe, they make a couple good free agent pick ups before camp starts.
Spirit100 Wrote:Happy they picked up the LB and a few lineman who according to the "experts" slid to the later rounds. Bengal OL coach is pleased with them and he does a good job with his resources.

I agree with you Blur about addressing reserves. I have concerns as well. If they utilize the dual TE sets this season with success, Bernard stays healthy, and the Freak 2.0 evolves and contributes….GREAT!

If they don't, Bernard hops on the injury train, and our LBs continue to make tackles 5-7 yards off the los I'll be salty. I would have liked to have seen a ILB, S, and OL taken earlier. Guess the staff feels Reymal and Skuta will participate in some offseason regimen which transform them into better players. Lawson left for the Bills as well. Maybe Moch overcomes his migraines amongst other things.

Burfict and Harrison are going to be carrying a big load. Hope Crocker and Nelson are prepared to get on their horses quickly to clean up Reymals misses.

It'd be nice to see Kirkpatrick and Iloka on the field more this season. Going to have to take a glass half full approach going into the summer. I'm not holding my breadth, but maybe, they make a couple good free agent pick ups before camp starts.

Skuta's gone, he signed with the 49ers during the off-season. Likely back up at middle linebacker is Burfict followed by Vincent Rey. I'm indifferent about Moch, with the signing of Aaron Maybin, he may not make the team. Interested to see what Brandon Joiner & Emmanuel Lemur bring to the table. In all honesty, I'd like to see Kirkpatrick at safety because of his size. Kirkpatrick will definitely see the field more, with the departure of Nate Clements & Jason Allen. Also Chris Crocker is no longer on the roster.
The Blue Blur Wrote:Skuta's gone, he signed with the 49ers during the off-season. Likely back up at middle linebacker is Burfict followed by Vincent Rey. I'm indifferent about Moch, with the signing of Aaron Maybin, he may not make the team. Interested to see what Brandon Joiner & Emmanuel Lemur bring to the table. In all honesty, I'd like to see Kirkpatrick at safety because of his size. Kirkpatrick will definitely see the field more, with the departure of Nate Clements & Jason Allen. Also Chris Crocker is no longer on the roster.

Thanks for bringing me up to snuff Blur :Thumb: The Bengals.com needs to update their depth chart Confusednicker:

Skuta, Clements, and Crocker are still listed. Probably more since we where just mentioning LB and S positions.

Do you think Bengal leadership cuts a big check to obtain a better ILB?
Burkhead from Nebraska was a steal! I'm very surprised so much talent went so late this year.
Spirit100 Wrote:Thanks for bringing me up to snuff Blur :Thumb: The Bengals.com needs to update their depth chart Confusednicker:

Skuta, Clements, and Crocker are still listed. Probably more since we where just mentioning LB and S positions.

Do you think Bengal leadership cuts a big check to obtain a better ILB?

Nope I think if something were to happen to Maualuga, Burfict will move to the middle. Otherwise, Rey is the second option in the middle & is adequate enough in spot duty as well as a special teamer. Lemur proved he was good enough to be a back up at the Will OLB position & I'm interested to see what Joiner gets done this offseason. While I'm not sold on Maybin as being a back up at the SAM OLB, he has a high ceiling that has yet to be even tapped in the NFL. He was a force at Penn State in college. Moch & consistent inability to be in the lineup, have me concerned about his career in general. He's yet to even play professionally, really as he's only played 1 regular season game in two seasons. First a broke foot, caused him to miss his rookie season. Then a substance abuse 4 game suspension & then the migraine headaches. If the other linebackers can out perform him int he preseason, he may be on the cutting board. Karlos Dansby looks like he may be available if we get in a real pinch at linebacker, as the Bills have now backed off their interest in him.
A- given to the draft overall. I'll take it!