Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Ashland Blazer 10 - West Carter 0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
April 24, 2013

Hensley throws no-hitter
MATT SPARKS
The Independent The Daily Independent Wed Apr 24, 2013, 06:53 AM EDT

ASHLAND — Megan Hensley is getting downright stingy these days.

Just 24 hours removed from a no-hit masterpiece against West Virginia powerhouse Wayne High School, Hensley pitched another near-perfect game as Ashland battered West Carter, 10-0, in a five-inning mercy-rule game at Ashland.

“It feels really good,” Hensley said of her back-to-back performances. “Our fielding has been good the last couple of days which really helped me out.”

For the second straight game, Hensley narrowly missed out on a perfect game. Alyssa Shelton, West Carter’s only baserunner of the game, reached on an error in the fifth inning.

Ashland’s sophomore hurler struck out the first nine batters as she overwhelmed Lady Comet hitters with her array of pitches. She finished with 13 Ks for the game.

“They weren’t hitting outside very well and I noticed they were choking up on their bats,” said Hensley. “I was using my curveball as well as my screwball to get hitters out.”

After striking out 16 Lady Pioneers the night before, Hensley has now retired 36 of the last 38 batters she has faced.

Her coach couldn’t help but be impressed.

“Megan has thrown the ball extremely well and she hit her spots again tonight,” said Ashland coach Dave Miller. “She was dominant again for the second night in a row. When you have someone like that throwing you are going to be in every game you play.”

After a pitcher’s duel the night before, the Kittens’ bats awoke in a seven-run third inning where 13 batters came to the plate.

Leading 1-0, Sydney Whitt led off the inning with a home run over the center-field fence. McKenzie Vanover reached first on a fielder’s choice and was moved over to third after Hensley singled.

Katie Caron reached on an error that allowed Vanover to score. Another single by Megan Griffith plated Hensley.

Sydney Cullop next hit a long fly ball that was misplayed by the left fielder, scoring Caron and Griffith.

Katie Baldock later drew an RBI walk to account for another run.

Finally, Vanover hit the fourth Kitten single of the inning to send Meade home to stake the Ashland to an eight-run lead after three.

Ashland added two more runs in the fifth to seal the victory.

“It makes it a lot easier on me,” said Hensley when asked about the run support. “It gives me a lot of confidence.”

Lady Comets’ pitcher Leatha Reynolds recorded seven strikeouts.

W. CARTER 000 00 — 0 0 3

ASHLAND 107 02 — 10 10 1

L. Reynolds and Adkins; Hensley and Campbell. W—Hensley (A) L—L. Reynolds (WC). 2B—Griffith (A). HR—Whitt (A).
Megan is a very nice pitcher.... Ashland plays a very weak Ky schedule this year... They have played couple nice teams as in Oak Hill, Wayne is a nice team and Lincoln and cabell are ok as well. But the Ky schedule is not strong at all.
Ashland played a couple of very strong teams in Myrtle Beach this year, one was from Maryland and one was from around Toledo I believe. They also played some very good West Virginia teams while they were there as well.
They have played a few nice teams but wished they could play a few top KY teams. Ashland great program and some very talented athletes. Matter of fact the area is starting to produce some nice players.
Megan Hensley has been very impressive in her last two games!
blue she is a very nice player.... fantastic young lady and she works hard
Ashland is a Great solid team... Don't know if they can keep beating Boyd tho... Eventually Ashland will get sloppy... Fun team to wath tho. Can't wait to see who comes out of this region in a few weeks for state!!