Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The state and Breathitt?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I heard today that students are getting kicked out of Breathitt HS if they live in the city limits. The state is transferring them to Jackson city. What kind of impact would this have on the football program?
Thoughts??:HitWall:
Why'd they get taken over?
To straighten up the mess that former superintendents made.
We're any football players on that list?
Breathitt will always have it's haters...through obsticles and hard times...Bobcats still bleed blue! The state isn't interested in what's best for students...just some jerks trying to make it up the corporate ladder. I just don't undertand why kids need to be shuffled around with only 6 weeks of school remaining and testing right around the corner. The football team has taken some hard knocks but I for one, still believe in my Bobcats!!!! Go Big Blue!!!
Isn't the school in Jackson city limits?
I am guessing here.

Being B.C. has a solid history and Jackson has not been very good , if the players from B.C. are forced to go to J.C., then J.C. has to be better and B.C. will be worse.
Greenup County is also doing the same similar thing. They lose students and players to Raceland and a few other schools. They once allowed kids in their district to go wherever but after losing money and their better athletes they ended their agreement. Watch for Greenup to get a lil better and Raceland to get a lil worse.
Jackson City doesn't have a football team right? In a situation like that, doesn't the KHSAA let the kids from the non participating school play at the most local participating school?
Would possibly result in a realignment to class 2A for Breathitt too?
The students who attend Jackson City that live out of city limits have to transfer to Breathitt too.
I was told during a Jackson City basketball game this season by their staff (scorekeeper who's son plays) that the school was being consolidated with Breathitt Co. This would push Breathitt close to 4A but now we are talking 2A. I am now confused but that is not unusual......
Didn't Breathitt start this by refusing to sign a reciprocal agreement 4 or 5 years ago? Let the kids go where their parents think is best for them.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Greenup County is also doing the same similar thing. They lose students and players to Raceland and a few other schools. They once allowed kids in their district to go wherever but after losing money and their better athletes they ended their agreement. Watch for Greenup to get a lil better and Raceland to get a lil worse.

Or for families and kids to "move".
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:I was told during a Jackson City basketball game this season by their staff (scorekeeper who's son plays) that the school was being consolidated with Breathitt Co. This would push Breathitt close to 4A but now we are talking 2A. I am now confused but that is not unusual......

Jackson City gets to stay open because several thousand dollars were donated to the school after a coal company was sold
Strikeout King Wrote:Jackson City gets to stay open because several thousand dollars were donated to the school after a coal company was sold

Did not know about the donation.
WILDCAT NATION Wrote:Did not know about the donation.

That's what I was told by a student at Jackson City
I wouldn't believe any rumors about forcing students that are already in school systems until it was printed in the local paper in black and white and then I'd consider the source the paper had cited. Don't go getting all riled up until it becomes official. I'm sure they would have local meetings with parents before they started something like that to get input from the community. The current man that is running the show in Breathitt for the state right now is Larry Hammond who just retired from Rockcastle County. He was a pretty good superintendent from what I saw in his tenure(over twenty years I think) at Rock and I think that he will be pretty fair up there.
Breathitt will be doing away with any contracts they had with Jackson City or any surrounding county school system that allows students from those counties to attend Breathitt or vice versa. Any student that lives in Knott, Wolfe, Lee, Owsley, or Perry counties will not be allowed back at Breathitt next year.

As far as football I can only think of a handful of players over they years from inside the city limits that contributed to the team so this shouldn't be a big setback.
Now, this could be different with the state being involved, but im pretty sure that when schools choose to or have to end recipricol agreements, the students that are already enrolled in the schools can choose to stay there, an furthermore, most of the time there is a grace period of 4 to 5 more years of open enrollment before the restrictions begin.
Bigballer2011 Wrote:I heard today that students are getting kicked out of Breathitt HS if they live in the city limits. The state is transferring them to Jackson city. What kind of impact would this have on the football program?
Thoughts??:HitWall:

I would not think that it would make that big a difference. There would be more kids involved if JC made the non-city students transfer to BC. Jackson is very small and most of the population is living outside the city limits. I am a proponent of the open enrollment policy. If you want to go to BC go to BC. If you like a smaller school atmosphere, go to JC. I went to both schools, and prefer JC.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Isn't the school in Jackson city limits?

Yep. JC is less than a mile from BC.
DevilWatcher Wrote:Greenup County is also doing the same similar thing. They lose students and players to Raceland and a few other schools. They once allowed kids in their district to go wherever but after losing money and their better athletes they ended their agreement. Watch for Greenup to get a lil better and Raceland to get a lil worse.
Greenup will not get better. Too much politics. Parents will figure out a way to keep their kids at Raceland and Russell.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Yep. JC is less than a mile from BC.

It seems that is not to uncommon.
Before Knox Central built there new high school, theres was less than a mile away from Barbourville high school inside city limits, and is now there middle school.

Ive never understood how a county school could be inside city limits.
This is a sports forum.It looks like this thread was started by a JCS person.Strike Out King.I will fill you in on thr truth about it all later.I am having major computer issues right now.This is all about politics.
It's all about money. SEEK allocations. in the 2000's, lots of parents moved their kids from BC to JCS to get away from of all the corruption and politics. BC lost a lot of money as a result and in 2002 BC stopped signing "any and all" contracts that allowed kids to go to their preferred school. They finally signed an agreement in 04 or 05 that capped transfers at a certain level. That agreement has expired, and now the State is in charge of BC and is trying to get the school back on a firm financial footing, and forcing kids to attend their school is one way to do it.

BC attracts a lot of students from Jackson City's district, but Jackson City attracts a whole lot more of theirs from the county. If the State (Hammonds) can force those kids back to BC, it helps BC and closes JCS.
And this is still a Football Forum.
BobcatStuckInPowell Wrote:And this is still a Football Forum.

The lack of a stable administration has a trickle-down affect on all programs at the school. Especially a football program that is looking for a coach. So this thread is relevant to the "Football" forum.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:It seems that is not to uncommon.
Before Knox Central built there new high school, theres was less than a mile away from Barbourville high school inside city limits, and is now there middle school.

Ive never understood how a county school could be inside city limits.

Try about 2 blocks away maybe 3 at the most..
I asked a few Rockcastle fans what they thought of Larry Hammond as a Superintendent. Had a lot of mixed responses, most didn't think he was football friendly or for sports as a whole. Also said when he retired he ran for a public office and lost bad, which tells me if he was so well liked he would have won the election. A few we're very glad he was gone.
Pages: 1 2