Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 42 MOVIE Jackie Robinson
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Really rap music in this movie.:biglmao:
^Serious?
I'm perfectly fine with it. I don't need to watch a movie made with 50's doo wop to make me feel like I am in the era. If Rap brings interest to young people and get's them into seeing this great story, then I think it's great! It's about the story, not the complimentary affects.
I thought that was a poor choice also.
"Word to your Mother." They used that term, all day, at the soda shop :biggrin:

Looking forward to watching this one with my teen son and enjoying some quality discussion afterward. Should be a great film whether doo wop or rap music is used. If rap carries the message more effectively, so be it.
Spirit100;1607565[B Wrote:]"Word to your Mother."[/B] They used that term, all day, at the soda shop :biggrin:

Looking forward to watching this one with my teen son and enjoying some quality discussion afterward. Should be a great film whether doo wop or rap music is used. If rap carries the message more effectively, so be it.

Don't know if you are being sarcastic or what? But the phrase used in the 80s was "Word To The Mother".
Im interested to see how it portrays Happy Chandler.
OffTheHook Wrote:Don't know if you are being sarcastic or what? But the phrase used in the 80s was "Word To The Mother".

Yes and thanks for the copy editing Vanilla Hook...
Can't wait to see it
Spirit100 Wrote:Yes and thanks for the copy editing Vanilla Hook...

[YOUTUBE="Word to your mother"]EM-8b6LgnMk[/YOUTUBE]
Wow. Wanted to see it but no thanks w/rap. If they take liberties with the music what else do they take liberties with. And I don't care if it gets young people interested or not. If that's your attitude give 42 a playstation and iphone too. Jeez, KEEP IT REAL!!! Wanted to see how Pee Wee Reese was portrayed but now I'm afraid he will be breakdancing.:igiveup:
What difference does the music make? One of my favorite movies (A Knight's Tale) which is set hundreds of years ago, has hard rock songs in it. I thought it made it a more enjoyable movie. Jmo
jetpilot Wrote:Wow. Wanted to see it but no thanks w/rap. If they take liberties with the music what else do they take liberties with. And I don't care if it gets young people interested or not. If that's your attitude give 42 a playstation and iphone too. Jeez, KEEP IT REAL!!! Wanted to see how Pee Wee Reese was portrayed but now I'm afraid he will be breakdancing.:igiveup:

Segregation, discrimination and overcoming them is the theme of the film. Wish you well in overcoming your rap and hollywood historical correctness hangups.
Spirit100 Wrote:Segregation, discrimination and overcoming them is the theme of the film. Wish you well in overcoming your rap and hollywood historical correctness hangups.

You lost me at hollywood historical correctness. I insist on it and Hollywood is the last place I will go to learn history. Got better sources, like history books.
I know the music may not take away the message of the film, but it absolutely crushes the authenticity of it. I think I'll pass on it too. I will refuse to watch this one the same reason I refused to watch Glory Road. Im sure they will take the story and pour Hollywood all over it. I imagine that nobody knew what the players looked like in the 40s and 50s because of their Klan hoods they wore on the field. The same one Rupp and his Runts wore against Texas Western in the '66 title game. Or how back in those old baseball days the 7th inning stretch consisted of burning a cross in the outfield. I may go watch it to see how Hollywood portrays his '48 season when he batted .900 with 185 homeruns and 730 rbi's..I know Robinson went through Hell and I am not disputing that. I think the game is better because of him, BUT nobody on this forum can deny the way Hollywood ruins movies based on historical facts..
^ You two are missing the point, or maybe you'd rather not see a movie like this come out at all.

The movie will provide a framework. None of us other than jackie Robinson, the folks he crossed paths with, and God now what happened. This could have been made in 1960 and there would still be judges that said no, I remembered it this way.

So no gang, you, Hollywood, the history books, and the rest of the critics will never capture the truth, but you have to start somewhere. I'm placing my faith in Jackies daughter who is consulting from memory to assist in the making of the movie. I'd like to think her input would add to the historical truth the critics seek.

I will be happy to share my walk with you after my son and I watch it and provide feedback. I'm taking the historical tolerant approach going in to id the true merit of the film which should be shedding light on breaking down segregation in baseball and an athlete, a family, and a baseball teams experience in doing so.

Thank you Tide for the historical perspective. Please share where you learned your contribution from. My son and I would welcome the opportunity to learn more. Feel free to add Jetpilot. If it's historical authenticity you all seek. Gather around and share. This is where iron sharpens iron men!

Have a good week folks and looking forward to further data sharing.
Spirit100 Wrote:^ You two are missing the point, or maybe you'd rather not see a movie like this come out at all.

The movie will provide a framework. None of us other than jackie Robinson, the folks he crossed paths with, and God now what happened. This could have been made in 1960 and there would still be judges that said no, I remembered it this way.

So no gang, you, Hollywood, the history books, and the rest of the critics will never capture the truth, but you have to start somewhere. I'm placing my faith in Jackies daughter who is consulting from memory to assist in the making of the movie. I'd like to think her input would add to the historical truth the critics seek.

I will be happy to share my walk with you after my son and I watch it and provide feedback. I'm taking the historical tolerant approach going in to id the true merit of the film which should be shedding light on breaking down segregation in baseball and an athlete, a family, and a baseball teams experience in doing so.

Thank you Tide for the historical perspective. Please share where you learned your contribution from. My son and I would welcome the opportunity to learn more. Feel free to add Jetpilot. If it's historical authenticity you all seek. Gather around and share. This is where iron sharpens iron men!

Have a good week folks and looking forward to further data sharing.
Historical perspective? I think I mentioned that we all know what Jackie went though, without the input from Hollywood. Ive watched EVERY known documentary (factual, spoken from players that played with Jackie, his family, his friends, etc) on Jackie Robinson (Im a baseball fanatic. Jackie and Roberto Clemente are two of my favorites). What I dont like, is seeing the needless additions added to these films for the sake of film. You may like these films having the facts distorted for the sake of being "Hollywooded". I dont. Examples? Remember the Titans. Great film. I enjoyed it. But Hollywood absolutely BLUDGEONED the facts dealing with the "true story" (the school had been integrated for six years, and Julius Campbell supposedly had a world of talent, but was sometimes lazy. Gary Berttier was an animal though)..I heard my brother tell me all about Glory Road, how a brand new coach recruited all of those boys in one year and won the national championship, when in reality Haskins had been there since '61. Im not trying to ruffle any feathers, but me personally, I would rather pass on seeing them do this to a figure that doesnt need "Hollywooded"..I think his story speaks for itself.
Are some of you really not going to watch this because of the freaking music?! COME ON! All you're doing is missing a great movie.

If you're looking for historical accuracy in Hollywood, you're looking in the wrong place...most military movies made today thy some of you like, like that joke of a movie "Hurt Locker", are pathetic when it comes to accuracy...drives vets crazy, lol.
Not to mention that it's a movie, since when is every single fact accurately portrayed? Just something we have to look over in movies these days. It's not a new phenomenon, lol.
Many historical sports movies are dramatically enhanced by Hollywood. But that doesn't make them bad movies.
Spirit100 Wrote:Yes and thanks for the copy editing Vanilla Hook...

No problem...lol.

I have no problem with rap music. Guess you could call it a pet peeve of mine when it comes to movies and music from the era it was in. Especially true based stories. A Knights Tale was all fictional. Therefore the music was fine.
What music would you wanted them to have added to the movie? If the whole move had Lionel Hampton, I myself wouldn't be as interested in it.

Besides, my daughter only asked what movie it was because she heard the music playing during the commercial, then I could give her a lesson in not only Baseball history, but history of race relations. Any other music and she wouldn't have asked. Now she wants to see the movie to know more about Jackie Robinson.
Prolly gonna take my son to see it this week end.
I am on the same page as TidesHoss, as usual. Hey TH, also Bertier played in the state championship game...You and I know that, but people who depend on Hollywood for their info don't...
Bass and others have stated that many scenes in the 2001 film Remember The Titans are fictional, and do not portray the real-life Ronald Bass accurately. For example, in the movie, Ronald is depicted as a long-haired hippie. Ronald has been quoted in the Greenville News as saying, "I was never quite like that ... But that's Hollywood. I'll say for the record my hair was never that long."
In the film, Ron "Sunshine" Bass, played by Kip Pardue, arrives after camp begins and is introduced to the Titans' coaches by his father, Col. Bass (Andrew Masset). In real life, Sunshine had been in Alexandria before camp started, and had practiced with Rev, his rival quarterback, in the unofficial workouts during the summer. "Ronnie went down (to the Burg) every day, and he related to the kids there in the ghetto," Boone says in his DVD commentary. "This is one of the reasons they called him 'Sunshine.' ".[2]
Bass has also commented on the scene in the movie in which his character kisses Gerry Bertier (Ryan Hurst) on the lips in the locker room. Bass has stated that this scene never happened.
Regarding the racial tension at T.C. Williams High School, Bass told the Greenville News that the movie exaggerated the racial tensions that existed in Alexandria at the time. "They (the movie) had a community divided down black and white, and it really wasn't like that in 1971 Alexandria," he said, although he admitted that the Titans' championship run did help bring the community together. "My friend Bill Yoast ... told me Disney had taken liberties with the facts, suggesting an overheated atmosphere of racial animosities and fears at the school and in the community that just hadn't existed," added Patrick Welsh, who taught at TC Williams in 1971, in a Washington Post article.[2]

jetpilot Wrote:I am on the same page as TidesHoss, as usual. Hey TH, also Bertier played in the state championship game...You and I know that, but people who depend on Hollywood for their info don't...
If memory serves me correct, he wrecked his mom's new 71 Camaro because of a bad motor mount or something, after the team's state title banquet...not showing off in a '67 Camaro after winning a semifinal game..
Jeez..
OK went and watched it last night! Great Movie! I can also say that if there was rap music in the movie. I did NOT hear it...lol. I was so into the movie that I didn't notice...lol.
^ I went and seen it last night too.... Great Story...duh. But movie just seemed a little rushed to me, but I understand they had a lot to push into a movie... I was happy with it tho.
I saw it last night as well. Excellently done. Not completely accurate in the depiction of his rookie year, but it's Hollywood. It's a must see!
^Agreed. My boy loved it.
Pages: 1 2