Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Dominique Hawkins - Kentucky Wildcats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Congrats...
Kentucky Mr. Basketball Dominique Hawkins has committed to Kentucky

Officially!!!
Is he going as a Walk-On or on Scholarship???

I would hate to see him turn down a scholarship at other schools to simply walk-on at UK because of peer pressure.
I think he got a scholly, either way this is great to here. Mark my words he is the next Darius Miller.
Great Day In The Bluegrass!!!
He Got A Scholarship!!!
Next Wiggins???
Congrats Hawkins! Good long term sign for the Cats, deff could be the next Darius Miller.Good sign for the Cats!
Congrats to the Cats for another big addition to their recruiting class. I look forward to seeing him play the next 4 years.
Word going around is that Cal offered him the scholarship and he committed the weekend of the state championship game. Cal asked him to keep it quiet until the roster changes played out this spring with the seniors, Harrow and Goodwin.

Congrats to the young man and count me in as one of the fans who thinks he will be a contributor at UK and not just a benchwarmer. The kid can play and proved it with his dominating state tournament performances.
^ I heard Cal officially offered him the day before he won Mr. Basketball..
He's on full athletic scholarship. So happy for him.
Big time mistake.He is a great ball player, but facts are facts,he will never play at UK.If the kid loves the game like I know he does, he should've went somewhere he can a actually get some playing time.Smaller school!!
OldFan Wrote:Big time mistake.He is a great ball player, but facts are facts,he will never play at UK.If the kid loves the game like I know he does, he should've went somewhere he can a actually get some playing time.Smaller school!!

Wrong!

Hawkins will play for UK... maybe not much as a freshman but thats ok... No one is saying he's going to the NBA but he will play.. Hawkins > Polson...

Polson didn't play much but was greatly needed to play this year, who's to say that won't happen with Hawkins, after the Twins, Young, Randle, Wiggins all go pro.
I'm just saying if he wants to play as a freshman.I like how you throwed Wiggins in there.I hope your right.
OldFan Wrote:I'm just saying if he wants to play as a freshman.I like how you throwed Wiggins in there.I hope your right.

LOL...

Hawkins is very humble kid and I don't think playing as a freshman is a big deal to him..
OldFan Wrote:I'm just saying if he wants to play as a freshman.I like how you throwed Wiggins in there.I hope your right.

He knew already that he won't play a lot as a freshman before he signed, prolly be his jr year before a lot. He knows he'll never get the starting spot as Cal will recruit a 5* taller pg every year. But he knows he'll get to be the backup pg every year and get a ring "rings" while playing at his DREAM school. UK needs 4 year players like him and Willis. Plus being an instate kid, he'll bring his all every game and play for the name on his jersey. And ekff is right on Wiggins. 7 first rounders from one school in the same draft will be sweet.

Mix1...
Hawkins is a 3-4 year player.
Solid pickup by Cal. Hawkins can ball. Its guys like Polson, Hood, and Willis that i dont understand signing.

Hawkins is the type of player we need to help with years like this past one when were short on luck.
Hood almost made the McDonald game, was a 5* top 35 kid, Willis was top 60 as a soph when signed, Polson was just a walk on when signed. All three signed because UK was their dream school and was given the opportunity most of us would kill for. Can't understand why some can't figure that out. Not all players pan out.

Mix1...
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Hawkins is a 3-4 year player.
Solid pickup by Cal. Hawkins can ball. Its guys like Polson, Hood, and Willis that i dont understand signing.

Hawkins is the type of player we need to help with years like this past one when were short on luck.

Polson was a walkon who earned a scholarship due to us being under the limit. Basically Cal gave it to him instead of letting it go to waste so to speak.

Hood was signed by Gillispie before Cal was hired and it would have been a public relations nightmare had Cal pulled his scholly when he was hired.

Willis is a little questionable when you consider what we are recruiting but it could be a backup plan for when we lose a bunch after this year. I'm personally not sold on him being able to contribute at UK but Cal knows more than me so I will trust his judgement.
ekff Wrote:^ I heard Cal officially offered him the day before he won Mr. Basketball..

Maybe so.

It's getting to be a recurring theme with Cal and his committments to stay silent for weeks or months. Randle is rumored to have been committed for months leading up to his announcement, which just so happened to have been scheduled for the morning after our NIT loss. Hawkins makes his announcement during UL's championship run.
Altro Cat Wrote:Maybe so.

It's getting to be a recurring theme with Cal and his committments to stay silent for weeks or months. Randle is rumored to have been committed for months leading up to his announcement, which just so happened to have been scheduled for the morning after our NIT loss. Hawkins makes his announcement during UL's championship run.

Hawkins was offered before the state final, but was told to keep it quit until the roster made it's way out. Randle never was committed prior until his announcement and Hawkins had nothing to do with UL's championship run. Any rumor saying Randle had been committed prior, is just that, a rumor and no knowledge of the recruitment. Randle had that date scheduled way before UK was knocked out of the SEC tourney, let alone the NIT. If had been Wiggins instead of Hawkins, then you may have been onto something with UL's run ;-)

Mix1...
Mix1 Wrote:Hawkins was offered before the state final, but was told to keep it quit until the roster made it's way out. Randle never was committed prior until his announcement and Hawkins had nothing to do with UL's championship run. Any rumor saying Randle had been committed prior, is just that, a rumor and no knowledge of the recruitment. Randle had that date scheduled way before UK was knocked out of the SEC tourney, let alone the NIT. If had been Wiggins instead of Hawkins, then you may have been onto something with UL's run ;-)

Mix1...

Randle was committed to UK long before the announcement. It's just a matter of how long, some say Christmas, others say January or February. Jason Jordan all but let it be known to the whole world if you follow him.
Altro Cat Wrote:Randle was committed to UK long before the announcement. It's just a matter of how long, some say Christmas, others say January or February. Jason Jordan all but let it be known to the whole world if you follow him.

Know and follow him. All his assumptions were only his assumptions. He knows the Randle family good, BUT, you can ask Jason. Randle never committed to anyone before his announcement. Yes, Randle probably was a UK lean the weeks prior to committing and he let Jason say all that he did without saying anything to contradict that. But like I said, you can ask Jason, Randle never committed to anyone prior to announcing, let alone Xmas or Jan.

Mix1...
Hawkins is a great pick up for the Cats, gives us a solid point guard to build and mold for probably the next five years, would have to believe he will red shirt one year (probably next year) just to develop more. By his senior year, I could see him being a Anthony Epps type player but with more quickness and speed. Also, the kid is a proven winner... regardless of the talent you play against or the level, someone who is willing to take a big shot in the closing moments and isn't effected by the pressure is someone you can build on. I'd say won't see the floor any until his softmore year, but junior and senior year will see the floor some off the bench or maybe even push to start his senior year depending on the recruiting class. After all, Polson did come off the bench for a nice shock this year.
Cal doesn't like redshirting any player. Really don't see Hawkins doing it. Willis would be only candidate to do it from what I know. Cal has made comparisons to EB with Hawkins. Polson got extended mins due to sheer luck, still a great kid though.

Mix1...