Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: May out at East Ridge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Denny Paul may is no longer the head coach at East Ridge. This is unofficial but very reliable sources and numerous sources have stated this.
Yes Coach May is gone. He accepted a job with the Pikeville Independent School System. A good fit.
Congrats to Coach May on the new job..Wish him luck and think he will do well at Pikeville..is he going to help with basketball?
Rumor has it he will be Williams' assistant. This is great news because if I am not mistaken, he didn't have any assistants that actually worked at the school.

Bart Williams, Denny Paul May, Todd May, Lee Jones.......very solid staff!!!!!!!
Smile Denny Paul May doesn't make it that much better of a staff. He's not exactly a what most would call a "good" coach
MRC06 Wrote:Smile Denny Paul May doesn't make it that much better of a staff. He's not exactly a what most would call a "good" coach

If I am not mistaken, he has made it to the state tournament on 4 different occasions as an assistant coach. Can you name many others that can say that? Plus, I think he is a better assistant coach than head coach. Some people are just better fits as assistants. I still say he will be a very good addition to the staff at PHS.
Got to meet May one time in Pikeville. Nice guy and a pretty good coach. Good Luck to him!
bball fan Wrote:If I am not mistaken, he has made it to the state tournament on 4 different occasions as an assistant coach. Can you name many others that can say that?.

Woooo Wooo, stop the presses!! That's really something to write home about right there Smile My Grandma could have sat on the bench as an assistant on those teams and said she won 4 Regional titles. Wow. That's really something.
Oh thank GOD, someone finally took him. I was begging for this for a year!
Your Grandmother could have sat on the bench on those teams???? That is a true basketball expert statement if I have EVER seen one!!! Ask ANY of the players or ANY of the other coaches on those teams and you will will find out how valuable Coach May was to those teams. Some of you people kill me. You get on here and make ridiculous statements about things you know NOTHING about. Ask J.J. Hylton how much he respects Coach May as a coach. Or Coach Raymond Justice, or Coach Randy Casey,or Shawn Hager, or Stevin Staton. All three of the players listed above not only won THREE straight regional titles, but they also played college basketball. Coach May was a HUGE part of these players development. Hylton played at Morehead and he scored over THREE THOUSAND points in highschool. Hager and Staton were college ALL AMERICANS at their respective schools. Ask these other coaches how hard it was to win three regions in a row, or how hard they worked. As far as something to write home about...have YOU been a part of FOUR regional titles???? DOUBT IT..no...I KNOW you haven't been...please don't speak of things that you have no knowledge of...
You get your wish Tribe..just remember...better be carefull what you wish for...the problem ER will have is finding a quality guy to take that job.
bball fan Wrote:Rumor has it he will be Williams' assistant. This is great news because if I am not mistaken, he didn't have any assistants that actually worked at the school.

Bart Williams, Denny Paul May, Todd May, Lee Jones.......very solid staff!!!!!!!

Very good coaching staff..Bart was a heck of a player, we all know how good Todd is and his knowledge of the game..Lee has been a great help and stood by Bart, and then Denny Paul comes in with regional championship experience..Neither Jones nor Todd May taught at the school..I am sure they were limited in the time they had to commit to basketball..With May now teaching at the school that will be a huge help.
thetribe Wrote:Oh thank GOD, someone finally took him. I was begging for this for a year!

I have a feeling that he is the one who is glad it is over. The new has worn off at East Ridge. They are slowly but surely slipping back into the losing ways that Elkhorn City, Millard, and Feds Creek were known for in their last few years of existance.....in all sports!! The kids up there simply don't care right now. Now that May is gone you can finally get someone that makes you happy. Maybe a classy gentlemen like Randy McCoy can be the role model you are looking for to teach your children up there in the head of nowhere.....you guys deserve each other!!!!!
Here are a few names that are thrown around as possible canidates.

Randy McCoy
Rodney Rowe
James Hurley Returning
Matt Mercer
Ervin Stepp
MRC06 Wrote:Woooo Wooo, stop the presses!! That's really something to write home about right there Smile My Grandma could have sat on the bench as an assistant on those teams and said she won 4 Regional titles. Wow. That's really something.

You have 0 basketball knowledge.......

We'll see what you guys get because of your "great" BOE member, the new Super is pretty anti-sports, he has a hiring freeze on, so it will have to be someone in the Pike County school system already.
Jd if you were up on things you would know that Rodney Rowe is an employ of the BOE and Randy McCoy is also, he subed at East Ridge last semester of school. If one of our assistant principals is hired as our principal we are going to need an assistant principal and Rodney Rowe fits the bill. Great Knowledge JD.
A sub is just that...a SUB...NOT a fulltime employee...he may already be in the system in that capacity...but that means nothing if there are no teaching positions available..
Hoops Lover, apparenty you know nothing about polictics either!!!
Evidently not...and I like it that way!! The new super has said the county is WAY overstaffed....if someone new comes in and someone already teaching is not placed then look out...here comes a huge lawsuit. I may not know politics...but I know this.
I don't think there will be a lawsuit. If someone applys for a job and if they dont have any experience, then they can hire someone out of the system even if there is a freeze on new employees.

As far as the names mentioned, Rodney Rowe would be a great coach for them. But will he take the job if offered? Ervin Stepp, could he coach at East Ridge and cut his ties with June Buchanan? James Hurley returning, I dont see that happening either. My bet will go with Randy McCoy taking the job. Does any of DPM assistants have any head coaching experience? Or have they been assistants long enough to take over a head coaching job?
If there are no jobs...there are NO JOBS..they CAN...but WILL they??..hate to burst the bubble on James Hurley returning,,,but he has bigger fish to fry IMO. Ervin Stepp has family playing and coaching at JBS...and has a business in Ashland..Coach May's assistants were mostly former players right out of HS...Matt Mercer was the only one even remotely qualified to be a head coach...and I don't think he is interested..they could hire someone as a paraprofessional and not provide a teaching position..Rodney Rowe's roots are too deep where he is...plus...his daughter is playing and I think he wants to watch her play and grow up..
Randy McCoy, Randy McCoy, Randy McCoy, Randy McCoy wait and see.
Hoops Lover Wrote:If there are no jobs...there are NO JOBS..they CAN...but WILL they??..hate to burst the bubble on James Hurley returning,,,but he has bigger fish to fry IMO. Ervin Stepp has family playing and coaching at JBS...and has a business in Ashland..Coach May's assistants were mostly former players right out of HS...Matt Mercer was the only one even remotely qualified to be a head coach...and I don't think he is interested..they could hire someone as a paraprofessional and not provide a teaching position..Rodney Rowe's roots are too deep where he is...plus...his daughter is playing and I think he wants to watch her play and grow up..

See the bold, the new coach my be coming from the other side of the county with some ties to ER.....
At this time, Randy McCoy is going to be an assistant for his former assistant at Pikeville College Raymond Justice, who is the coach at Letcher County Central. I have also heard that Randy is the front runner for the Hazard job.
Now THAT is a good one!!! Helping Coach Justice?? Don't know where you are getting your info from...but you may want to check your sources..
Hoops Lover Wrote:Now THAT is a good one!!! Helping Coach Justice?? Don't know where you are getting your info from...but you may want to check your sources..
My source is a teacher from the school.
Sorry...but your source is wrong....McCoy has been over to visit Coach Justice and look at the facility...and meet people...but he not even being considered for a job there...Cavanaugh Trent is the new assistant there.
Hoops, I really don't care who gets the job. I doubt McCoy will get it because no one wants him there. He got into his trouble at Pikeville College and can go anywhere but ER for all I care. The school may be going back into a slump and yea, the players started to not care but it was for one simple reason, Coach May himself. I was there, you weren't. I've talked to the players and I actually know Coach May personally and have dealt with him some deal and I don't have one problem in saying that I am glad that he is gone. And I will be gone as well, I graduated so put Mark Price in there coaching for all I care.