Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: How do we bring jobs back to America?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Interested in everyone's thoughts what the solution is here.

Obviously lower taxes help.

How about doing away with trade agreements that allowed companies to ship jobs off, for what basically amounts to slave labor?

Increase tariffs on Chinese goods?

I think tariffs should be so high that, unless we can barter an agreement with imports/exports that remains fairly equal... imported goods should be quite a bit more expensive than goods made in America.

I think from there you can then offer exemptions on certain goods that may be necessary to our country... e.g. oil, certain electronics, etc..

However, I'll use the auto industry as an example, it should not be possible to close down plants in the US, move those plants to Mexico where workers make 2 bucks an hour, and import the vehicles here at a cheaper cost than it would be to build them.

Of course, we have to get a handle on our union problem. I support unions, and they rose up out of a necessity that corporations and businesses created. However, they have obviously grown way to big and corrupt, and are not free from blame for being part of the reason businesses chose to ship factories overseas. However, I don't want to cripple the ability of workers to form unions in this country either.
Beetle01 Wrote:Interested in everyone's thoughts what the solution is here.

Obviously lower taxes help.

How about doing away with trade agreements that allowed companies to ship jobs off, for what basically amounts to slave labor?

Increase tariffs on Chinese goods?

I think tariffs should be so high that, unless we can barter an agreement with imports/exports that remains fairly equal... imported goods should be quite a bit more expensive than goods made in America.

I think from there you can then offer exemptions on certain goods that may be necessary to our country... e.g. oil, certain electronics, etc..

However, I'll use the auto industry as an example, it should not be possible to close down plants in the US, move those plants to Mexico where workers make 2 bucks an hour, and import the vehicles here at a cheaper cost than it would be to build them.

Of course, we have to get a handle on our union problem. I support unions, and they rose up out of a necessity that corporations and businesses created. However, they have obviously grown way to big and corrupt, and are not free from blame for being part of the reason businesses chose to ship factories overseas. However, I don't want to cripple the ability of workers to form unions in this country either.
This is where we strongly disagree, Beetle. This country did not reach the level of prosperity that we enjoyed in the 80s through higher taxes, and high tariffs are taxes that American citizens would pay through higher retail costs. Free trade is not our problem. Our problem is our government's imposition of the highest tax rates in the world coupled with some of the most burdensome regulations on the planet. The answer to a problem created by the federal government is not going to be found through higher taxes and more regulation of the private economy.
Do completely away with the current tax system. Restructure our tax code through the Fair Tax or something similar to it that serves as the ONLY form of taxation. Goodbye IRS, hello prosperity.

Stop passing laws/regulations without considering economic effects. Roll back regulations that are known to be not only ineffective, but costly to producers and consumers, I'm sure they are plentiful.

While being very aggressive at developing new forms of energy, be just as aggressive at obtaining and utilizing the ones we have at hand...Show the world we can be self sufficient.

Elect common sense people that can govern and stop electing self/party serving demagogues. In order to do that, impressionable people will have to stay away from media and learn to think for themselves.

A congress that would legislate personal responsibility instead of legislating like Santa Claus would also help.
WideMiddle03 Wrote:i agree vector
very intelligent post

you just proved my point AGAIN
vector Wrote:you just proved my point AGAIN

yes i did
that was the most intelligent post ive ever seen
you make since oct 2006
WideMiddle03 Wrote:yes i did
that was the most intelligent post ive ever seen
you make since oct 2006
Quite a feat for you, considering you've only been here since Aug. 2012.
TheRealVille Wrote:Quite a feat for you, considering you've only been here since Aug. 2012.

thats cause ive been busy WORKING
1. Lower the corporate tax code.
2. review all regulations -which are helping what their aim was and which ones are harming business
3. labor unions must work with business to make reasonable strides to employment. There is to much waste because of union contracts and demands to make doing business in this country successful
4. more states need to become open states as far as contracts go. I should not be forced to join a union if I don't want to.
5. push for an equal playing field with our trade partners. Free trade is wonderful as long as everyone is playing on the same field
WideMiddle03 Wrote:thats cause ive been busy WORKING
I've worked 7 days a week since December, except for about the last 3 weeks. Before that, 6 days a week, except for about a month before December. I pick my hours and times to work.
TheRealVille Wrote:I've worked 7 days a week since December, except for about the last 3 weeks. Before that, 6 days a week, except for about a month before December. I pick my hours and times to work.

i know trv we all know you give you're 100%
24% on mondays
23% on tuesdays
23% on wednesdays
22% on thursdays
8% on fridays
WideMiddle03 Wrote:i know trv we all know you give you're 100%
24% on mondays
23% on tuesdays
23% on wednesdays
22% on thursdays
8% on fridays
And I'll still be ok, while you live check to check.
Fairtax sounds great -- but I've seen a lot in the fine print that causes me concern.

We need a new tax code, that is for sure, and I've been pushing for an entirely new tax code for 30 years. To punish those who do the hard work and risk all in a business, while giving absurd loopholes to others is horrible. We aren't even told about most of the loopholes, they are written by lobbyist sometimes for individual people.

But Fairtax? No thank you. Sounded great, but read the fine print a bit closer.
I agree with much of what you said -- we are not only shipping jobs oversees, we are giving huge tax breaks to those who do, even if you don't realize it.

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but remember that video of Gov Romney giving that speech to 50,000 per plate fund raiser? He spoke of a factory he bought for Baine Capital in China. This was not some bad reporter trying to make it look bad, he was describing the factory himself. It was a live in factory -almost all young women he said, they LIVED in the factory. They had guard towers -- remember he said this! They had 12 girls to a tiny room, one bathroom per floor, and they were paid a "pittance". Keep in mind now, this is what HE said of the factory he was buying! The news talked a lot about the 47%, but he was basically right about that, in a way.

The news didn't even mention his comments about the factory he bought -- how much did he make? Did he pay taxes on that? Did he know the names of any girls that worked in that factory? Did he shut down one of his factories here to give more work to his huge live in factories there?

I think those were legit questions for a guy who was going to transform the economy.

ANd more -- given the overpopulation in much of the 3rd world -- why can't we have import laws that prevent these jobs going overseas? I know it's not a simple thing, I know it's more complicated. But I'd like to see living wages and benefits for everyone who works hard and obeys the rules. And if people want to get rich buying factories with guards and barb wire where the workers live, and get paid a "pittance" according to the guy that owns the factory, fine.

Just get it out in the open is all Im saying
TheRealVille Wrote:And I'll still be ok, while you live check to check.
I might add that that statement isn't a slight to people that live check to check. Times are hard, a lot of people do. But, for you to make fun of someone's work times, when you have no clue how much I work in a year, deserves no less. You probably make not much more than minimum wage, yet want to tell me to get a job, when I would bet I work a lot more hours in a year than you do, plus get paid a lot more on the hour.
I make a decent living.
Probably within the top 20% in Whitley County, and somehow even thats no where near enough for me to live comefortable. Sky rocketing enery rates, gas, and groceries means unless you make 100,000+ a year, i dont understand how you can be comefortable.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:Do completely away with the current tax system. Restructure our tax code through the Fair Tax or something similar to it that serves as the ONLY form of taxation. Goodbye IRS, hello prosperity.

Stop passing laws/regulations without considering economic effects. Roll back regulations that are known to be not only ineffective, but costly to producers and consumers, I'm sure they are plentiful.

While being very aggressive at developing new forms of energy, be just as aggressive at obtaining and utilizing the ones we have at hand...Show the world we can be self sufficient.

Elect common sense people that can govern and stop electing self/party serving demagogues. In order to do that, impressionable people will have to stay away from media and learn to think for themselves.

A congress that would legislate personal responsibility instead of legislating like Santa Claus would also help.

Spot on.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I make a decent living.
Probably within the top 20% in Whitley County, and somehow even thats no where near enough for me to live comefortable. Sky rocketing enery rates, gas, and groceries means unless you make 100,000+ a year, i dont understand how you can be comefortable.
How do you think that people that make minimum wage, or not much more feel?
TheRealVille Wrote:How do you think that people that make minimum wage, or not much more feel?

Your trying to make an invalid point.
In order for a democracy to work, there has to be bottom feeders, and if your a bottom feeder you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Minimum wage and the terms you throw around have nothing to do with it. Every single kid has the oppertunity to better themselves, and if they choose a minimum wage job for the rest of there life, thats fine, ATLEAST they have a job.

How do you think Welfare recepients feel? Id say pretty damn good.
Making minimum wage wouldnt be a problem in this country if this administration wouldnt tax the hell out of everything and give all the money to those who simply choose not to work.

Theres a lot of things in this country ass backwards but you already know that and refuse to acknowledge them.

Oh, and to clear things up, im not rich.No where near it. That was my point in saying im in the top 20% of Whitley County earners and dont make nothing because nobody does. But, its not because i chose that path. I have two college degrees and that does no good when there are virtually no jobs anywhere in the country. I got lucky and found a decent job that pays the bills, and thats about all it does.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Your trying to make an invalid point.
In order for a democracy to work, there has to be bottom feeders, and if your a bottom feeder you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Minimum wage and the terms you throw around have nothing to do with it. Every single kid has the oppertunity to better themselves, and if they choose a minimum wage job for the rest of there life, thats fine, ATLEAST they have a job.

How do you think Welfare recepients feel? Id say pretty damn good.
Making minimum wage wouldnt be a problem in this country if this administration wouldnt tax the hell out of everything and give all the money to those who simply choose not to work.

Theres a lot of things in this country ass backwards but you already know that and refuse to acknowledge them.

Oh, and to clear things up, im not rich.No where near it. That was my point in saying im in the top 20% of Whitley County earners and dont make nothing because nobody does. But, its not because i chose that path. I have two college degrees and that does no good when there are virtually no jobs anywhere in the country. I got lucky and found a decent job that pays the bills, and thats about all it does.

these 2 college degrees did the gov help you any ?
TheRealVille Wrote:And I'll still be ok, while you live check to check.

wrong DA :lmao:
i dont live. Check to check

TheRealVille Wrote:I might add that that statement isn't a slight to people that live check to check. Times are hard, a lot of people do. But, for you to make fun of someone's work times, when you have no clue how much I work in a year, deserves no less. You probably make not much more than minimum wage, yet want to tell me to get a job, when I would bet I work a lot more hours in a year than you do, plus get paid a lot more on the hour.

you put down a teenage kid on the gen forem
no question u meant what u said
but your WRONG DA :biglmao:
vector Wrote:these 2 college degrees did the gov help you any ?

does the govt help u any
Mark DC Wrote:I agree with much of what you said -- we are not only shipping jobs oversees, we are giving huge tax breaks to those who do, even if you don't realize it.

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but remember that video of Gov Romney giving that speech to 50,000 per plate fund raiser? He spoke of a factory he bought for Baine Capital in China. This was not some bad reporter trying to make it look bad, he was describing the factory himself. It was a live in factory -almost all young women he said, they LIVED in the factory. They had guard towers -- remember he said this! They had 12 girls to a tiny room, one bathroom per floor, and they were paid a "pittance". Keep in mind now, this is what HE said of the factory he was buying! The news talked a lot about the 47%, but he was basically right about that, in a way.

The news didn't even mention his comments about the factory he bought -- how much did he make? Did he pay taxes on that? Did he know the names of any girls that worked in that factory? Did he shut down one of his factories here to give more work to his huge live in factories there?

I think those were legit questions for a guy who was going to transform the economy.

ANd more -- given the overpopulation in much of the 3rd world -- why can't we have import laws that prevent these jobs going overseas? I know it's not a simple thing, I know it's more complicated. But I'd like to see living wages and benefits for everyone who works hard and obeys the rules. And if people want to get rich buying factories with guards and barb wire where the workers live, and get paid a "pittance" according to the guy that owns the factory, fine.

Just get it out in the open is all Im saying

No, that is not all you're saying. You're a hair on fire liberal who is more than comfortable with the present administration's distortions and misrepresentations. You're saying Romney was one of those dark and dastardly rich guys and no way could we trust him. Frankly, after four years of descent into an information vacuum as it pertains to recent federal machinations, one would expect to find the lack of transparency as being very suspicious and the direction in which we are travelling to be nothing short of frightening. There is a long list of transparency short falls to choose from but, let's just take the so-called Obama 'centerpiece legislation' as a suitable microcosm for example. We are speaking of ObamaCare now obviously. Not only did no one know what was in the legislation when it was first rammed down America's throat, (you may remember the various shenanigans and bribes that were accomplished to that end by this White House) To this day no one really knows what all is involved. The legislation was passed in a format which afforded liberal democrats and an odd assortment of near-bureaucrats and acquaintances from within the circles of academia, to author as yet thousands of regs which will impact the nation in ways scary enough to make most folks hair stand up.

The whole process was accomplished in utter secrecy, no open hearings and no traditional Congressional process. Why? Obviously because republicans were excluded from the whole affair and as was in evidence by the strict party line vote. According to Obama, families were supposed to realize a $2,500 dollar a year savings in his first term. Competition was supposed to drive down the cost of care, remember that one? Well surprise, just as critics warned there is no competition, at all. As we speak projected costs, as well as measurable real costs are through the roof. This remark by Obama poster girl Nancy Pelosi pretty well sums it all up; "We Have To Pass The Health Care Bill So You Can Find Out What's In It." March 10, 2010.

And you're worried about what effects a Mitt Romney administration may have had on our economy? If his accomplishments could have come anywhere close to those of his record as Governor of Massachusetts, (an open book BTW, truly transparent) his legacy would have shone like a super nova as compared to Obama's so far abysmal scene, speaking of books, from "The Night Land", a place of unimaginable darkness.

I found the whole transcript of the Romney text from which, you chose to further castigate his character ala the DNC suggested path. And, of all places, it was on "Mother Jones", I was shocked, LOL. The idea and subsequent DNC tack of choice, whether conscious or not, was the stuff of Nazi German propaganda. Make Romney look like one of those greedy rich Jews Hitler blamed, for all Germany's ills. Greedy people don't work pro bono (four years of service as Gov of Mass) , they don't give the millions of their father's inheritance to charity, nor do they give of themselves to help friends and neighbors the way the Romney's have. http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012...cret-video

Let me help you with this one. All Romney was doing here was pointing out the incredible difference between the US and a place like China. The gist of the story was that though the girls were housed in a place with fences and watchtowers, those things were in place to protect the girls from the throngs of girls trying to 'get in' to the factory to work, not to keep them in as Romney wrongly surmised. So desperate were the general conditions outside factory walls, that factory was a place to earn and save money so they could get a leg up on a better life, perhaps an education. This was an eye opening experience for Mitt Romney and he was just using it as a tool to share how good things still are here and his vision to make them even better. To suggest that he got rich off of a deal that you nor anybody else even knows really ever came to fruition, is quite a stretch. And yet, a path well worn by the liberal jack boots of creative reporting tactics of the left.

As to the DNC talking point that Romney has and would ship our jobs overseas. You really ought to save that one for the Young Democrat's Club meeting, it might have a chance of flying there. Nearly as ridiculous as the guy blaming Romney for giving his wife cancer. :Thumbs:
WideMiddle03 Wrote:does the govt help u any

not yet
Welcome to the forum Mark DC. Be prepared for the same type of vitriol that you received from TheRealThing from about 95% of the rest of these guys. If you aren't conservative, they will pull the claws out on you every time.
vector Wrote:not yet

ronald reagan said the best social program is a job
get one

TheRealVille Wrote:Welcome to the forum Mark DC. Be prepared for the same type of vitriol that you received from TheRealThing from about 95% of the rest of these guys. If you aren't conservative, they will pull the claws out on you every time.

you just cant stand the FACT'S
ronald reagan said the best social program is a job
get one

got 1 DA
vector Wrote:these 2 college degrees did the gov help you any ?

No they did not.
I received loans and im currently paying them back, with intrest. Uncle sam will never pay a dime for my loans. They currently reside at some BS bank in Michigan.

Its one of the biggest problems with the educational system. They set people up for failure and debt. If i had the oppertunity to do it all over again, i would not have gone to school.
IMHO, the govt needs to stop making student loans available to kids because all it does is give the liberal public schools the chance to increase tuition as much as the want and convince kids a college education is the only way to go.
TheRealVille Wrote:Welcome to the forum Mark DC. Be prepared for the same type of vitriol that you received from TheRealThing from about 95% of the rest of these guys. If you aren't conservative, they will pull the claws out on you every time.

Vitriol, now there's an interesting word. It describes a chemical compound or metal sulfate, salt if you will. Salt has a preserving effect and the truth has an exposing effect. I am guilty as charged.

PS Mushrooms like it in the dark but, even the looniest liberal should have shown at least a mild curiosity with an unknown bill (none other than the ACA) that purported to take up at least one sixth of the entire US economy. Only the true believers bought into that one.
Pages: 1 2