Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hazard 2 - Woodford County 1 (9 innings)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final from Powell County. Huge upset
Final

Big win
That's the number 1 team in Kentucky, defending state champs, go down to a team not even ranked or had any votes for the top 25
What a great victory for our Bulldogs! Keep up the good work tomorrow against Belfry.
Congrats Dawgs !!! GO HAZARD BULLDOGS !!!!
How bout them dawgs !!!
Wow!!!!
0-0 thru 8 innings. Then they had about a 45 minute "Sun Delay". Woodford scored 1 in the top of the 9th. Johnson led off the bottom of the 9th with a huge triple to deep right field. Haynes drove him in with a single. With the score 1-1, no outs and Haynes on third Woodford intentionally walk the number 3 and 4 hitters to load the bases. Whitaker steps up and hits a sacrifice fly to right field scoring Haynes to win the game. The 8th grader, Conley for Hazard pitched a great game thru 8 1/3 innings.
Rollitover Wrote:0-0 thru 8 innings. Then they had about a 45 minute "Sun Delay". Woodford scored 1 in the top of the 9th. Johnson led off the bottom of the 9th with a huge triple to deep right field. Haynes drove him in with a single. With the score 1-1, no outs and Haynes on third Woodford intentionally walk the number 3 and 4 hitters to load the bases. Whitaker steps up and hits a sacrifice fly to right field scoring Haynes to win the game. The 8th grader, Conley for Hazard pitched a great game thru 8 1/3 innings.

Always do over in Powell County. As the sun goes down in behind the trees it's glaring right at home plate and no one can see.

Is this the Tanner Dodge classic ?
WAY to GO HAZARD!!!!!!
Big win, but not a huge upset. Hazard should be able to play with any team in the state with the talent they have and the deep pitching staff they have. Woodford is not a great hitting team at all. They play a lot of small ball and rely on pitching and defense. This win is good for the entire region of the mountains. Don't forget how close Powell played them in the state last year with Hollon on the mound. There is good baseball in the mountains. We just don't get the publicity here like other regions of the state do. Hazard should have won the last two Regions and be going for a third in a row but each of the last two years in the 14th region tournament they completely choked and gave games to Letcher in 2011 and to Estill in 2012. If they can handle the big games in the regional tournament this year and not choke again, they could do some damage in the state tournament and should because they are that talented from top to bottom.
Come-On-Man Wrote:Big win, but not a huge upset. Hazard should be able to play with any team in the state with the talent they have and the deep pitching staff they have. Woodford is not a great hitting team at all. They play a lot of small ball and rely on pitching and defense. This win is good for the entire region of the mountains. Don't forget how close Powell played them in the state last year with Hollon on the mound. There is good baseball in the mountains. We just don't get the publicity here like other regions of the state do. Hazard should have won the last two Regions and be going for a third in a row but each of the last two years in the 14th region tournament they completely choked and gave games to Letcher in 2011 and to Estill in 2012. If they can handle the big games in the regional tournament this year and not choke again, they could do some damage in the state tournament and should because they are that talented from top to bottom.

How do you get that this isn't an huge upset? Woodford is the defending state champs and according to the march 26th poll, the #1 ranked team in KY. Hazard never even got any votes for the top 25 so IMO it's a huge upset. Woodford also has probably the best player in KY in Clinton Hollon
Strikeout King Wrote:How do you get that this isn't an huge upset? Woodford is the defending state champs and according to the march 26th poll, the #1 ranked team in KY. Hazard never even got any votes for the top 25 so IMO it's a huge upset. Woodford also has probably the best player in KY in Clinton Hollon
Number one reason. Woodford threw their number 3 or 4 and so did Hazard. No. 2. Woodford isn't a great offensive team and lost a lot of seniors from last years team. No 3. Hazard is loaded from top to bottom and should be ranked but the folks doing the rankings always come late to the party for any mountain team. Trust me. When Hazard is hitting on all cylanders they can play with any team in the state. No. 4. Woodford is a little overated without Hollon or Parret on the hill and in baseball, you are only as good as your number 3 and 4 starting pitcher.
Also, Hunter Green is the number 1 rated kid in the state now according to many scouts and rating systems and Warren East has a losing record this year and may not make it out of their own didtrict.
Come-On-Man Wrote:Number one reason. Woodford threw their number 3 or 4 and so did Hazard. No. 2. Woodford isn't a great offensive team and lost a lot of seniors from last years team. No 3. Hazard is loaded from top to bottom and should be ranked but the folks doing the rankings always come late to the party for any mountain team. Trust me. When Hazard is hitting on all cylanders they can play with any team in the state. No. 4. Woodford is a little overated without Hollon or Parret on the hill and in baseball, you are only as good as your number 3 and 4 starting pitcher.

Come-On-Man Wrote:Also, Hunter Green is the number 1 rated kid in the state now according to many scouts and rating systems and Warren East has a losing record this year and may not make it out of their own didtrict.

We just have different opinions and that's gonna happen. I think it's a huge upset. I would say if you ask any other coach around the state about this they would say it was a upset, they might agree with me, they might agree with you.

Never heard of the kid from Warren East. All I've heard was Hollon.
Strikeout King Wrote:We just have different opinions and that's gonna happen. I think it's a huge upset. I would say if you ask any other coach around the state about this they would say it was a upset, they might agree with me, they might agree with you.

Never heard of the kid from Warren East. All I've heard was Hollon.
I don't mind if you diagree with me. I've just watched Woodford a lot as well as Hazard and the only way I call it an upset is if Hollon was on the hill for Woodford. Hazard has a better hitting team from top to bottom than Woodford. Hunter Green from Warren East is tough. Look him up. Had 30 scouts there for his start this week and 20 od those were cross checkers. Great high character kid as well with a better upside than Hollon. Has a better delivery. Hollon would be a huge risk for me because of his delivery and lack of size. He's already had some arm issues and I look for more to come in his future. I hope not, but I would have those concerns if I was the team looking to give him a big bonus.
Oh come-on-dude, it was a upset and YOU know it. Having a 8th grader beat the #1 team in the state........UPSET! Woodford may have pitched their 3&4 but Hazard sure didn't. wouldn't have made any difference if it was Hallon or who, nothing happened until the 9th and I'm sure after the SUN DELAY he would not have returned to the game. I call it a Big Upset!
Turnitup Wrote:Oh come-on-dude, it was a upset and YOU know it. Having a 8th grader beat the #1 team in the state........UPSET! Woodford may have pitched their 3&4 but Hazard sure didn't. wouldn't have made any difference if it was Hallon or who, nothing happened until the 9th and I'm sure after the SUN DELAY he would not have returned to the game. I call it a Big Upset!
you guys are missing what I am saying. I'm telling you that Hazard can play with anyone in the state and I believe they have a better hitting team from top to bottom than Woodford does and Hazard should have already been ranked. I am complimenting Hazard. Woodford pitched their 3 or 4 and so did Hazard. Hazard is capable of beating anyone with the talent they have. That's a compliment not a put down. So no. I don't consider it a huge upset. It's a good win, but it doesn't surprise me.
HAZARD DID NOT PITCH THEIR 3 and 4
HAZARD PITCHED THEIR 1 and 2
Great win for the Mountains!!!!
Curveball 24 Wrote:Great win for the Mountains!!!!
I agree totally, a huge win for Hazard and a huge win for the mountains!!! I saw the last few innings and took pride myself in seeing a bunch of mountain boys pull this game off, it was a very exciting/electric atmosphere to say the least. Congrats in a big way to the Bulldogs!!! Keep up the good work!!!
OH NO, they play baseball in Eastern Kentucky now? Didnt know that. Just being sarastic. There are some excellent baseball teams in Eastern Kentucky and always have been.
Come-On-Man Wrote:Also, Hunter Green is the number 1 rated kid in the state now according to many scouts and rating systems and Warren East has a losing record this year and may not make it out of their own didtrict.

Green pitched a no hitter last year against Edmonson County. He had 20 strikeouts. He's ranked 50th in the nation. He will go in the first 3 rounds of the next draft.
adopted purple Wrote:Green pitched a no hitter last year against Edmonson County. He had 20 strikeouts. He's ranked 50th in the nation. He will go in the first 3 rounds of the next draft.
I agree. He is kid with very high character as well.
Are you saying the 8th grader is Hazards #1 pitcher or the Freshman? Has anyone heard any rumors about the 8th grader going to Brian Station next year?
Conley is the #1, he`s 3-0 and should be 4-0. I haven`t heard anything about bryan station but i have heard this kid is upset. He may be transfering but i doubt to bryan station. Not sure why he is upset but that is what i heard at Powell County.
Whitaker is #1. With Johnson still recovering from an injury and plenty of pitchers Hazard hasn't had to throw him much this year. He is #2. Wells and Conley are both good pitchers. Wells tends to have more control and understands baseball better and he uses the defense better. To me Conley just try's to overpower everyone. Conley was on and definitely hitting his marks against Woodford but that isn't always the case. Pitching like that causes him to throw a lot of pitches and hurst him sometimes. Ask the majority of coaches in the 14th that see all the kids I named the majority would have Conley as the #4 or #3. I really don't like listing pitchers like this because on any given night any of the guys I named are capable of beating any team in the state by their self. But if you threw all four of them 20 games Whitaker would always end up #1.
Savior27 Wrote:Conley is the #1, he`s 3-0 and should be 4-0. I haven`t heard anything about bryan station but i have heard this kid is upset. He may be transfering but i doubt to bryan station. Not sure why he is upset but that is what i heard at Powell County.

Don't understand why he would be upset! 3-0 with I believe 5 starts already as an 8th grader on a very good team!
ekff Wrote:Don't understand why he would be upset! 3-0 with I believe 5 starts already as an 8th grader on a very good team!
Fromm what I understand him being upset has nothing to do with pitching......
:biggrin:
How can you say Whitaker is better than Conley or wells? Conley throw harder wells has more control. Both have better off speed pitches. Conley has beat 2 great teams. So has wells. Johnson is Lucky to be the 5th. About the upset deal it's that I talked to a parent in Powell county and he just doesn't want to be a pitcher. I have family that has played with both wells and Conley since they've been playing, those two have always 1 and 2 not just pitching but all around.