Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Great article from JR Vanhoose
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://dailyindependent.com/x273862388/E...edir=false

What a wonderful article by JR Vanhoose about some of the best basketball games I ever had the opportunity to witness. Never knew this story. What an incredible show of class.
MCDADDY Wrote:http://dailyindependent.com/x273862388/E...edir=false

What a wonderful article by JR Vanhoose about some of the best basketball games I ever had the opportunity to witness. Never knew this story. What an incredible show of class.

I appreciate the great compliment so very much. Glad you enjoyed the article!
Great article J.R.

Thanks so much for sharing.
Can't wait to read your book.
Great story.
What's amazing to me is that Grayson Smith had enough self awareness as a 17 or 18 year old to realize what it meant for eastern KY rather than play around with petty rivalries.
Very classy guy.
I agree Proud Hornet. It does say something about a kid that is 17 or 18 that has that much understanding of what is past the present time or perhaps the natural instinct of wanting someone to lose.

I remember watching these games. Smith always seemed to be very competitive against Paintsville. I would like to ask JR what it was like playing against those Hornet teams, if anything, and maybe his take looking back on Smith in particular since he was only 6'2" or so.

I have to say again this was an incredible story. I hope you expand on it in your book. I think it may deserve a chapter! Lol
MCDADDY Wrote:I agree Proud Hornet. It does say something about a kid that is 17 or 18 that has that much understanding of what is past the present time or perhaps the natural instinct of wanting someone to lose.

I remember watching these games. Smith always seemed to be very competitive against Paintsville. I would like to ask JR what it was like playing against those Hornet teams, if anything, and maybe his take looking back on Smith in particular since he was only 6'2" or so.

I have to say again this was an incredible story. I hope you expand on it in your book. I think it may deserve a chapter! Lol

It was never a "cake walk" when you played Magoffin County. They always played us so tough and physical that you knew it would be a battle just to win the game. Plus they had a great coach in Danny Adams. Those games were always hard on the body!!

I don't thyink that many people realize today how many good quality teams there were in the 15th Region at that time. Other than Paintsville and Magoffin - Allen Central had a nice run for a few years, Pikeville was good, Prestonsburg was good, Elkhorn City was tough. You really had to come to play each night or you could get beat! Great memories!