Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rutgers faculty calls for President Robert Barchi to resign
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A group of 13 Rutgers faculty members is demanding that university president Robert Barchi resign for his "inexcusable handling" of the mistreatment of players under men's basketball coach Mike Rice.

Rice was fired Wednesday after a video surfaced showing him shoving players and berating them with gay slurs, but critics said New Jersey's flagship public university has more explaining -- and maybe some more firing -- to do.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college...chi-resign
As previously stated in another thread, once ESPN picks something up, it's all over...
geauxtigers75 Wrote:As previously stated in another thread, once ESPN picks something up, it's all over...

In this case something needs to be done. If not for ESPN things could have gotten worse. I know Penn State was different circumstances, but you see how things get worse when someone turns the other way. Those in charge who basically gave him a smack on the hand need to be looking for employment also.
ESPN finds a topic and RUN with it.
They want a story that will not only intrigue sports fans, but bring in other viewers who otherwise wouldnt be tuning in. Its a ratings boost.

They were even talking about this on major news stations all day. Yes, he threw some balls at kids, but there calling for his head. Firing him did the job.Theres no need to keep asking for more and more.

I completely agree with the firing, but the Pres and AD shouldnt be.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:In this case something needs to be done. If not for ESPN things could have gotten worse. I know Penn State was different circumstances, but you see how things get worse when someone turns the other way. Those in charge who basically gave him a smack on the hand need to be looking for employment also.

The AD should have canned him when this first came to light, I think it may force Rutgers hand into firing him as well. However, now that ESPN is running with this story, i'm sure it won't be long before the president resigns, because they'll just run the story until he does.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:ESPN finds a topic and RUN with it.
They want a story that will not only intrigue sports fans, but bring in other viewers who otherwise wouldnt be tuning in. Its a ratings boost.

They were even talking about this on major news stations all day. Yes, he threw some balls at kids, but there calling for his head. Firing him did the job.Theres no need to keep asking for more and more.

I completely agree with the firing, but the Pres and AD shouldnt be.
You and I are going to have to stop agreeing on stuff so much.

It's not nearly as fun. I

The network has blood in the water and ratings through the roof. No way they stop with just the one.
I don't like the President being fired if he didn't see the video and didn't know what was going on as he claims. The AD should get the can though. No excuse for his handling.

See, I don't like that ESPN ran with this story and destroyed a couple of men and made this situation a mess. But I also think that justice should be served here and it wouldn't have been if ESPN doesn't make this story a nationally-talked about issue. It's safe to say I have mixed feelings on the matter.

Also, if a group of faculty members are in favor of the President's firing, then this isn't the first thing they don't think he handled properly. There has to be more to this than we know.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...-mike-rice

Wally Judge, who played under Frank Martin at Kansas State, has been on the Rutgers team for a year and defends his former coach, Mike Rice.

Just another side to this story. What do you guys think?