Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Arkansas Oil Spill Leaves Crude Running Through Suburban Streets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote: Following the rupture of Exxon's Pegasus pipeline in Arkansas on March 29, video has emerged of heavy Canadian crude oil flowing through the streets of suburban Little Rock.

As many as 40 homes in Mayflower, Ark., had to be evacuated, KTHV reported. "We could see oil running down the road like a river," one resident told the station.

By Sunday, Exxon claimed it had recovered 12,000 barrels of oil and water, according to Reuters. "The freestanding oil on the street has been removed. It's still damp with oil, it's tacky, like it is before we do an asphalt overlay," a local official told Reuters on Sunday.

Exxon's Pegasus pipeline carries crude oil over 800 miles from Patoka, Ill., to Nederland, Texas.

Friday's spill invigorated debate over the proposed Keystone XL pipeline, which would carry Canadian crude from Alberta to the Texas Gulf coast.

The Arkansas incident was the second spill of Canadian tar sands oil in a week. On March 27, a mile-long Canadian Pacific train hauling Canadian crude derailed in Minnesota, spilling 30,000 gallons about 150 miles northwest of Minneapolis.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/01...92373.html

Quote:(Reuters) - Exxon Mobil Corp continued efforts on Monday to clean up thousands of barrels of heavy Canadian crude oil spilled from a near 65-year-old pipeline in Arkansas, as a debate raged about the safety of transporting rising volumes of the fuel into the United States.

The Pegasus pipeline, which ruptured in a housing development near the town of Mayflower on Friday, spewing oil across lawns and down residential streets, remained shut and a company spokesman declined to speculate about when it would be fixed and restarted.

Exxon, which was fined in 2010 for not inspecting another portion of the Pegasus line with sufficient frequency, had yet to excavate the area around the Pegasus pipeline breach on Monday, a critical step in assessing damage and determining how and why it leaked.

Police set up a check point keeping residents away from the affected area, while helicopters mapping the spill continuously circled the neighborhood on Monday. A strong smell of oil, which resembled asphalt, permeated the town well beyond the affected area, according to a Reuters witness.

Two front lawns less than fifty feet from where the rupture occurred were blackened by oil. Crews in yellow hazmat suits bagged up oil-covered leaves from the yards.

Exxon said in a statement that 10 "oiled ducks" were being treated at a local animal welfare center. Two more ducks had been found dead, the oil major said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/0...0220130401
^ The second tars sands oil spill in a week. 30,000 gallons spilled the week before.
TheRealVille Wrote:^ The second tars sands oil spill in a week. 30,000 gallons spilled the week before.

So, you ready to sell all your vehicles and make a big donation to liberals R us?
TheRealVille Wrote:^ The second tars sands oil spill in a week. 30,000 gallons spilled the week before.

That settles it then, no more crude, pipelines or combustible engines. Turn our cars in and get bicycles. No hold it, bicycles have parts that are biproducts of crude oil, let's all walk. Dadbern Keystone pipeline and Bush are the cause of it all too.
seems to me this town just got their roads seal coated for free
nky Wrote:seems to me this town just got their roads seal coated for free
What about the people's land that got confiscated to run the pipe through? I'm guessing the peole of Arkansas will remember that their senator co-sponsered HB 1042, allowing private pipeline companies to to seize their land to run this pipe.
^What if this was your land, would you be joking around about getting your street coated? My family has dealt with this problem for most of our lives. The lines that ran across my grandfather's land had burst several times while I lived around his farm. He could get no help from anybody official to make them clean the land back up. The only way it ever stopped, is after many years they re did the lines, on somebody else's property, then finally went bankrupt. The farm, to this day, has about a foot of oil caked in the bottom of my grandfather's farm pond. The pond is unusable.
[YOUTUBE="Oil Spill"]u30m8U6VP3E[/YOUTUBE]
TheRealVille Wrote:What about the people's land that got confiscated to run the pipe through? I'm guessing the peole of Arkansas will remember that their senator co-sponsered HB 1042, allowing private pipeline companies to to seize their land to run this pipe.
that pesky eminent domain let's just get rid of the whole constitution
TheRealVille Wrote:^What if this was your land, would you be joking around about getting your street coated? My family has dealt with this problem for most of our lives. The lines that ran across my grandfather's land had burst several times while I lived around his farm. He could get no help from anybody official to make them clean the land back up. The only way it ever stopped, is after many years they re did the lines, on somebody Else's property, then finally went bankrupt. The farm, to this day, has about a foot of oil caked in the bottom of my grandfather's farm pond. The pond is unusable.
Better to experience a little inconvenience than to be beholden to countries that are our enemies.
Besides it's an organic all natural product
nky Wrote:Better to experience a little inconvenience than to be beholden to countries that are our enemies.
Besides it's an organic all natural product
Was this Canadian oil going to us, or to the Gulf to get on a boat?
both and providing jobs for Americans
TheRealVille Wrote:What about the people's land that got confiscated to run the pipe through? I'm guessing the peole of Arkansas will remember that their senator co-sponsered HB 1042, allowing private pipeline companies to to seize their land to run this pipe.

You have worked at government sites before right? I'm sure once upon a time someones home was there.

Even private sites. Your given a option to sell out. IT happens for new roads among many things.

The new pipeline will create jobs and hopefully lower fuel cost.

There is also cleanup crews paid for by the person responsible for the mess. Which creates more jobs.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:You have worked at government sites before right? I'm sure once upon a time someones home was there.

Even private sites. Your given a option to sell out. IT happens for new roads among many things.

The new pipeline will create jobs and hopefully lower fuel cost.

There is also cleanup crews paid for by the person responsible for the mess. Which creates more jobs.
Not in this case. They confiscated a "right of way" to run the pipe through the people's land. They still had the land, but a pipe was underneath it. Just like in the case above of the family farm, we kept the farm, but the oil company destroyed the land.
TheRealVille Wrote:Not in this case. They confiscated a "right of way" to run the pipe through the people's land. They still had the land, but a pipe was underneath it. Just like in the case above of the family farm, we kept the farm, but the oil company destroyed the land.

So the pipe is actually underneath their land?

Does the Landowners receive any sort of money through the pipe being there?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:So the pipe is actually underneath their land?

Does the Landowners receive any sort of money through the pipe being there?
Yes. I don't know, my family didn't.
^ Back then, the land owners got free gas from the oil wells, but no money.
^ that's still a form of compensation
nky Wrote:^ that's still a form of compensation
For all the damage they did, and all the oil they got from the land? Not even close. Today it's different, at least in the Marsellas area, those people are getting a cut of the oil.
guess they've learned
Natural Gas lines run from one end of my property to the other.
Every time i want to dig i have to call and have them come out.

Do i complain? No. Its needed.

And so are these pipelines.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Natural Gas lines run from one end of my property to the other.
Every time i want to dig i have to call and have them come out.

Do i complain? No. Its needed.

And so are these pipelines.
If the gas lines burst, I hardly think it causes as much mess as a 20" oil line going through your property.
If we don't want pipelines then oil would have to come some other way, rail, truck or waterways. Of course if none of us consume oil products then no problem.

As for right of way I received $3.00 a foot for the gas company to put in a larger pipe. The right of way was already on the property when I purchased it so don't know what was paid before.

I am sure the landowners will receive compensation for damages and more though civil court. It's the way things work. All process requires some give and take.

My worry every time something like this happens the government gets more evolved than they need to. Let the parties work it out in court if necessary.
the other guy Wrote:If we don't want pipelines then oil would have to come some other way, rail, truck or waterways. Of course if none of us consume oil products then no problem.

As for right of way I received $3.00 a foot for the gas company to put in a larger pipe. The right of way was already on the property when I purchased it so don't know what was paid before.

I am sure the landowners will receive compensation for damages and more though civil court. It's the way things work. All process requires some give and take.

My worry every time something like this happens the government gets more evolved than they need to. Let the parties work it out in court if necessary.
I can agree with that. My point is this, when we do things like running this pipeline through this neighborhood, sometimes there are consequences like this. The point being, we have to watch where we run some of them, and not just go skippy, and say "run it", just to worry about jobs, and bringing prices down. Some places are more delicate than others.
[Image: 6687_10151429326279735_1885403667_n.jpg]
TheRealVille Wrote:I can agree with that. My point is this, when we do things like running this pipeline through this neighborhood, sometimes there are consequences like this. The point being, we have to watch where we run some of them, and not just go skippy, and say "run it", just to worry about jobs, and bringing prices down. Some places are more delicate than others.
I think the pipeline was there before the neighborhood
TheRealThing Wrote:So, you ready to sell all your vehicles and make a big donation to liberals R us?

keystone
TheRealVille Wrote:[Image: 6687_10151429326279735_1885403667_n.jpg]
Is that Jed Clampett over there?
vector Wrote:keystone
build it
nky Wrote:I think the pipeline was there before the neighborhood
I don't know. In this neighborhood, probably. But, it might not even run through it, just beside of it.
Pages: 1 2 3