Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Teachers who stomped American flag, Jesus are officially no longer teaching
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good riddance...

[INDENT]
Quote:Teachers who stomped American flag, Jesus are officially no longer teaching

You don’t tug on Superman’s cape. You don’t spit into the wind. You don’t pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger. And, as two educators have recently learned, it’s also generally good advice to avoid stomping on Jesus and the American flag in public schools.

The Florida Atlantic University instructor who asked students to step on the word “Jesus” has been placed on administrative leave on the same day that the high school teacher in South Carolina who stomped on an American flag in front of his students way back in December finally resigned.

full article
[/INDENT]
Agreed, and honestly I'm surprised they were let go. Good riddance.
http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/SC-te...99671.html

Quote:SC teacher who stomped flag gets $85,000 payment

CHAPIN, S.C. (AP) - A South Carolina high school teacher removed from the classroom when he stomped on an American flag while discussing freedom is being paid $85,000 to avoid a legal challenge.

The State newspaper obtained documents under the Freedom of Information Act that show Chapin High School teacher Scott Compton is being paid the settlement by Lexington-Richland District 5, in addition to his salary through June 7.

Compton resigned as part of the settlement after criticism about his actions last December. The documents also show that the school district will pay attorney fees of nearly $32,000 for Compton.

The payments were not disclosed when Compton's resignation was announced March 27.

A school spokesman said Compton's lawyers had indicated they would file a complaint in federal court about school officials who sought his dismissal.
He says he was trying to teach an "inspirational" lesson on the symbolism involved in the materials that symbolic figures are made of. I dunno about this. I would see no reason to do what he did because of our soldiers that die for the flag. Undoubtably, the school board didn't want to deal with the court, so they paid him off on a settlement deal.
Quote:Teacher's attorney: "My client was trying to create a forum for discussion using a powerful symbol"

CHAPIN, SC (WIS) -
The attorney for a Midlands high school teacher accused of stomping on an American flag in front of his honors English classes says his client meant no disrespect.

Darryl D. Smalls says 12-year teacher Scott Compton was attempting to show his classes that America is an "inspirational idea," greater than the "material objects that represent it," during a lesson on symbolism.

"He made only positive comments about America throughout this lesson," wrote Smalls in an emailed statement to WIS. "The version of events currently circulating is incomplete."

"He meant no intentional disrespect to those men and women who served our country or to America itself," continued Smalls. "Several members of his family served in the Armed Forces and they have his total support given all of the facts of the lesson."

"Many people have rushed to vilify my client based on one segment of the story related through a secondhand account," wrote Smalls. "My client has had an exemplary twelve year teaching career and was only trying to create a forum for discussion using a powerful symbol with which all his students would be familiar."
http://www.wistv.com/story/20552687/teac...ful-symbol