Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New Legislation Regulates Tanning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For thousands of Kentuckians, climbing into a tanning bed is an everyday affair, and the phenomenon is catching on with younger generations.

"We have had some people really get upset with us because of wanting to let their younger kids tan," said Vivian Gordon, the owner of Ameri-Tan.

Now it's a matter of law, not preference, and no one under the age of 14 will be allowed to tan without a parent present. The law also states 14 to 17-year-olds must have written parental permission.

For Ameri-Tan these rules are nothing new.

"We already had a membership form, and anyone 14 to 18 had to have parental consent, and we didn't allow anyone under the age of 14 to lay," Gordon said.

But many salons will have to alter their policies, and parents will have to take responsibility because studies show extreme exposure early on leads to problems later.

"I really don't think they understand the dangers. I really don't think they stop and think," said Charlene Miniard, who works at Ameri-Tan.

"We kind of have to go by what the parent says... and we have to be trustworthy that that is their parent," Gordon said.

Miniard's 13-year-old daughter is a typical young teen.

"She wants to be tan like her friends," Miniard said.

But her mom has found a different solution, spray tanning.

"It's a really good option because it's UV-free, and they're going to get that instant tan that they're wanting," Miniard said.

The new law, which goes into effect on Wednesday, also requires parents to make sure their children wear protective eyewear, and it requires tanning salons to post warning statements.

http://wkyt.com/Global/story.asp?S=5134384
Well alot of young teens in Floyd Co. are going to be mad about this....lol...I know at SF when I was there by like freshman year you pretty much had to be mexican looking or you wasn't cool....spray tanning is nice...it's faster and more covienent and you don't have to worry about getting burnt and peeling...and if you're like me you'll lay in a tanning bed once or twice and then forget about it...lol....I'd do spray tanning if I was rich...lol but I think it's a really good law that they are putting into effect. Skin cancer isn't something you want to play around with.
it's their skin. let them turn it to leather if they want.
Vincent Vega Wrote:it's their skin. let them turn it to leather if they want.

lol
Vincent Vega Wrote:it's their skin. let them turn it to leather if they want.
I guess we should let 14 year olds have cigarettes too.
Permission slips is a stupid idea, what stops kids from signing it themselves and saying its their parents' signature, and the tanning bed would never know?? Also, they're not going to care because it keeps money coming in.
yeah but still... if the kids sign it themseleves then thats their fault... the tanning bed places can't be liable if that paper is signed because they won't know. I think it's a wonderful idea because it can develope cancer or other problems...also the protective eyewear is a great idea too...i don't wear it but then again i never lay in a tanning bed so. I think the law is a great idea...if i had a kid I wouldn't let them lay at that young of an age anyway.