Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Lower Seed Dominance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I knew there was more parity this year, but who would have thought that the tops teams suck this bad?

It's crazy how many lower seeded teams are not only winning, but dominating there games.

(12) Oregon 68
(5) OK State 55

(9) Wichita St. 73
(8) Pitt 55

(12) Ole Miss 57
(5) Wisconsin 46

(13) La Salle 63
(4) Kansas State 61

(14) Harvard 68
(3) New Mexico 62

(10) Iowa St. 76
(7) Notre Dame 58

(11) Minnesota 83
(6) UCLA 63

(15) FGCU 78
(2) Gtown 68

(9) Temple 76
(8) NC State 72

(12) Cal 64
(5) UNLV 61

There were ohhhh so many close ones that didnt happen.
At one point i really thought WKU was going to beat Kansas.
Everybody sucks.
Many of the best coaches in the country are working for mid major schools that have rosters packed with juniors and seniors. Great coaching with experienced players often beat talented, inexperienced teams coached by great recruiters. Teams with great coaches like Butler, Florida Gulf Coast, Saint Louis, and VCU have enough talent and experience on the sidelines to beat any team on a given night.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Many of the best coaches in the country are working for mid major schools that have rosters packed with juniors and seniors. Great coaching with experienced players often beat talented, inexperienced teams coached by great recruiters. Teams with great coaches like Butler, Florida Gulf Coast, Saint Louis, and VCU have enough talent and experience on the sidelines to beat any team on a given night.

Upsets used to happen because some random scrub team goes off and hits everything, but now it's happening because the other teams are simply underrated.

The FGCU game and the Harvard game were examples this year of teams that simply looked like they deserved to be there and they competed from the opening tip until the buzzer sounded.

I don't know if these coaches of high seeds just totally overlook these teams or what...
but they honestly looked stunned on the court when these guys are playing up to par with them.

In both of those games it looked like the other team hadn't even studied any game film. Georgetown looked especially unprepared.
zaga_fan Wrote:Upsets used to happen because some random scrub team goes off and hits everything, but now it's happening because the other teams are simply underrated.

The FGCU game and the Harvard game were examples this year of teams that simply looked like they deserved to be there and they competed from the opening tip until the buzzer sounded.

I don't know if these coaches of high seeds just totally overlook these teams or what...
but they honestly looked stunned on the court when these guys are playing up to par with them.

In both of those games it looked like the other team hadn't even studied any game film. Georgetown looked especially unprepared.
FGCU displayed some of the best passing that I have seen in years. I think that the reason for so many upsets has been coaching mismatches. I have always believed that a coach's salary is as much the result of luck as it is a measure of skill.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:FGCU displayed some of the best passing that I have seen in years. I think that the reason for so many upsets has been coaching mismatches. I have always believed that a coach's salary is as much the result of luck as it is a measure of skill.

I agree 100% They were so fun to watch. Basketball with fundamentals is missing no days. Big time basketball is so unwatchable because of the lack of fundamentals.
A lot of these teams are much better than what they were seeded. You have two 12 seeds that are coming in as Conference Champions of Power 6 conferences. Then you have a team like Minnesota that was in the Top 25 for a good part of the season and played in arguably the best conference.

Hopefully these lower seeds can keep it up! I would love to see a double digit seed come out of nowhere and make the championship game or even win it all!!
Well VCU just got spanked thank God.

Shaka That!!!
^
A lot of people, including the "experts", like Bilas, had VCU in the final 4 i believe.
So now the big question....

Should we keep the tourney full of mid major conference tourney winners, or should we let better teams from the power 6 in?

Personally, i like the fact that smaller schools get in. Its always a chance for them to shine, but i believe everyone knows that Gtown was a better team, but for the most part overlooked FGCU. There are several teams left out that are better than a lot of these teams, but its a hard call.

I like small schools getting a chance, but i see let the regular season winner get in, not the conference tourney winner. In these mi major schools, the regular season means nothing, because if they go 25-4, and lose the conference tourney, there still not getting in....
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:So now the big question....

Should we keep the tourney full of mid major conference tourney winners, or should we let better teams from the power 6 in?

Personally, i like the fact that smaller schools get in. Its always a chance for them to shine, but i believe everyone knows that Gtown was a better team, but for the most part overlooked FGCU. There are several teams left out that are better than a lot of these teams, but its a hard call.

I like small schools getting a chance, but i see let the regular season winner get in, not the conference tourney winner. In these mi major schools, the regular season means nothing, because if they go 25-4, and lose the conference tourney, there still not getting in....

I agree! You prove more in the regular season than you do in the conference tournament IMO. Also, all these so called experts say that it is about the body of work which would be regular season conference play.