Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 15th Region: Breakdown and Analysis for 2006/2007
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The season is young.
After the summer games.....lets hear your breakdowns and analysis of teams, players, and coaches in the 15th Region.
Whats their strengths, weaknesses, frontcourt and backcourt.
Top teams?
Top players?
Preseason favorites?

So many questions...
Lets hear it.:thumpsup:
15th Region Preseason Predictions (I attended a lot of camps this summer)

Top Teams
1. Paintsville
2. Shelby Valley
3. East Ridge
4. Belfry
5. Pike Central
6. Phelps
7. Pikeville
8. Johson Central
9. Allen Central
10. Betsy Layne

Top Players
1. Landon Slone-Paintsville
2. Jamie Case-Belfry
3. Mark Bartley- East Ridge
4. J.D. Vanhoose-Paintsville
5.Trai Witt- Betsy Layne
6. Jacob Byrant-Shelby Valley
7. Tim Honaker-Pikeville
8. Logan Byrant-Shelby Valley
9. Robert Gannon-Phelps
10. David Hess-Pike Central
ERblue4ever Wrote:15th Region Preseason Predictions (I attended a lot of camps this summer)

Top Teams
1. Paintsville
2. Shelby Valley
3. East Ridge
4. Belfry
5. Pike Central
6. Phelps
7. Pikeville
8. Johson Central
9. Allen Central
10. Betsy Layne

Top Players
2. Jamie Case-Belfry
5.Trai Witt- Betsy Layne
7. Tim Honaker-Pikeville
9. Robert Gannon-Phelps
Eathan Johnson, Jamie McCarty, Tyler Hamilton, and Shane Grimm are all top 10 IMO.
ERblue4ever Wrote:15th Region Preseason Predictions (I attended a lot of camps this summer)

Top Teams
1. Paintsville
2. Shelby Valley
3. East Ridge
4. Belfry
5. Pike Central
6. Phelps
7. Pikeville
8. Johson Central
9. Allen Central
10. Betsy Layne

Top Players
2. Jamie Case-Belfry
5.Trai Witt- Betsy Layne
7. Tim Honaker-Pikeville
9. Robert Gannon-Phelps
Smile
How could you leave out Jamie McCarty from Johnson Central and Johnson from South Floyd...? Both are top 5 if not top 3...and here is why...

Top Teams:
1.) Johnson Central - One of the best backcourts in the region with Jamie McCarty, the addition of Jarred Crum, and slasher Jesse Meek. With state experience by their side and the competition they have played this summer...they won't expect nothing less of a repeat. Great Coach who is disciplined and could go a far way. I could see why u rank them #8 simply because they havn't played any 15th Region teams and only teams from around the state... the state tournament teams.

2.) Paintsville - Always a good team year in and year out. With everyone back from last year...still havn't proven they can get over the hump. Being ranked number 1 for most of the year....got knocked out just like the previous year by the same team. I know BMR was not as focused because of other sports and everyone ( or someone may say) but I don't see this year being any different. Has to prove they can put 5 games together and play as a team come MARCH. Slone will lead the way.

3.) Shelby Valley - Young guards, young talent, great backcourt, but lack size. Defense is ok and this summer didn't look to bad agianst 15th Region teams. Can the young guards handle the pressure? Time will tell....

4.) Pikeville - Has everyone that was the key to their success last year back. Great athletes on the team and didn't look bad also. Matt Clevenger did exceptionally well this summer and deserves a top 10 player.

5.) Belfry - Jamie Case will have to lead them for them to be successful @ all. They will mainly rely on him throughout the coarse of the year.

6.) Magoffin County - Rice will be a powerhouse inside. New transfers...unknown talent...who knows?

7.) East Ridge - Lost alot of talent last year but have some decent players returning. Could cause an upset down the road.

8.) Alen Central - May this be the year they break .500? I believe they will be able to and win some important games down the stretch.

9.) Pike Central - Lost their best player Lowe last year...will hurt them greatly...can they look for someone else to take his place?

10.) Phelps - Don't really know much about this team or how they did...Only know they have a couple of decent players.

With that being said....

Top Players:

1.) Jamie McCarty - Johnson Central - State tournament experience, great work ethic, and excellent shooting. Sky is the limit for this kid next year. Alot of people are saying he will have a big year and I am also a believer. Streaky shooter who can take over games. Elevates well, can create his own shot and great under pressure. Sometimes finished with a dunk. #1 no doubt. Questionable defensive skills, but from the way the summer looked he has improved greatly on his footwork. Will be a lockdown defender next year for the Eagles.

2.) Landon Slone - Paintsville - Had a solid year last year. Questionable outside shooter, but drives exceptionally well and makes contact. Can no doubt make his freethrows. It was a toss up with him and McCarty, but had to go with the athleticism and experience. Should have a great year. With a great coach BMR...anything can happen.

3.) Jamie Case - Belfry - Overshadowed by a football school, but still should make some noise for them next year. Great outside shooter who can drive to the basket. Fundamentally sound. Should average 20+. Belfry will be relying on him ALOT. I think he will produce.

4.) Ethan Johnson - South Floyd - Great outside shooter, but will be stuck on a young team. He could possibly carry them....he has the ability to..

5.) JD Vanhoose - Paintsville - Spot shooter, can knock down the open jumper and 3. Can not leave him open. Questionable on defense and his work ethic.

6.) Jarred Crum - Johnson Central - Great move for the former Sheldon Clarker. Will definatly get great looks this year since everyone will lock down on McCarty. Great ballhandler and IMO the best true Pointguard in the region.

And the rest...
7.) Devin Rice - Magoffin County
8.) Jacob Bryant - Shelby Valley
9.) Matt Clevenger - Pikeville
10.) Jesse Meek - Johnson Central
The_LeGenD Wrote:How could you leave out Jamie McCarty from Johnson Central and Johnson from South Floyd...? Both are top 5 if not top 3...and here is why...

Top Teams:
1.) Johnson Central - One of the best backcourts in the region with Jamie McCarty, the addition of Jarred Crum, and slasher Jesse Meek. With state experience by their side and the competition they have played this summer...they won't expect nothing less of a repeat. Great Coach who is disciplined and could go a far way. I could see why u rank them #8 simply because they havn't played any 15th Region teams and only teams from around the state... the state tournament teams.

2.) Paintsville - Always a good team year in and year out. With everyone back from last year...still havn't proven they can get over the hump. Being ranked number 1 for most of the year....got knocked out just like the previous year by the same team. I know BMR was not as focused because of other sports and everyone ( or someone may say) but I don't see this year being any different. Has to prove they can put 5 games together and play as a team come MARCH. Slone will lead the way.

3.) Shelby Valley - Young guards, young talent, great backcourt, but lack size. Defense is ok and this summer didn't look to bad agianst 15th Region teams. Can the young guards handle the pressure? Time will tell....

4.) Pikeville - Has everyone that was the key to their success last year back. Great athletes on the team and didn't look bad also. Matt Clevenger did exceptionally well this summer and deserves a top 10 player.

5.) Belfry - Jamie Case will have to lead them for them to be successful @ all. They will mainly rely on him throughout the coarse of the year.

6.) Magoffin County - Rice will be a powerhouse inside. New transfers...unknown talent...who knows?

7.) East Ridge - Lost alot of talent last year but have some decent players returning. Could cause an upset down the road.

8.) Alen Central - May this be the year they break .500? I believe they will be able to and win some important games down the stretch.

9.) Pike Central - Lost their best player Lowe last year...will hurt them greatly...can they look for someone else to take his place?

10.) Phelps - Don't really know much about this team or how they did...Only know they have a couple of decent players.
I agree with the teams but I'd replace AC With Phelps and put SF at #10. #1 is a toss up between JC and Paintsville:thumpsup:

My Top 10 Players:
1.Landon Slone-Paintsville
2.Jamie McCarty-JC
3.Eathan Johnson-SF
4.Jamie Case-Belfry
5.JD Vanhoose-Paintsville
6.Tyler Hamilton-Pike Central
7.Shane Grimm-Paintsville
8.Jaryd Crum-JC
9.Robert Gannon-Phelps
10. Jacob Bryant-Shelby Valley
Legend, I agree The McCarty kid should be in the top ten palyers I frogot about him.You guys apparently aren't to familiar with the Bartley kid from East Ridge. Ask Landon Slone, Bill Mike Runyon, Randy Casey & Jamie Case who this kid is and they will know. He lit Landon up last year as the Warriors defeated the Paintsville Tigers and he came back against Belfry and went down court to hit five 3s in a row and held Case to one of his worse games of the season in a Warrior blowout of the Pirates.
Legend, Johson Central can't go on what they did last year. It will take more than a little known point guard transferring in to help. The McCarty kid is a good player, but he is too slow that showed at the state tournament last year.Where do get South Floyd is going to be that good? I watched them play this summer and they lost to East Ridge by 30, Belfry by 26, Jenkins by 11 and June Buchanan by 22. They didn't impress me at all. Pike Central will have a hard time replacing Lowe because they really don't have a good outside threat. Paintsville had one good game in the regional tournament year before last where the Slone kid score 52 points and ever since then they have been over rated. The post season proves it. The other players are medicore players and you get them away from their home court and Mike Hall and Mike Walker as officals and they are beatable.
ER....Bartley IS a nice player. He plays hard and is talented...but from what I saw this summer the supporting cast has a long way to go...if they improve ER may have a chance to be pretty good. ER will be capable of putting together some good games like they did last year at Belfry and against Paintsville...but are they capable of doing that on a consistent basis? That is the big question IMO.
Top teams are JC, Paintsville, and SV in any order. I think its a tossup again this year. JC has got lots of talent returning with the addition of Crum, and Paintsville has all their talent returning, and SV proved their young team shouldn't be underestimated with their great gaurd play. JC is probably the most solid team this season, with experience and talent, but anything can happen. Painstville needs to prove they they have matured and stop using the 'Baby Tigers' excuse, if that happens, they'll be the favorite IMO. And Valley has some extremely good and young gaurds that proved they can handle the pressure of a tournament, but lack size. An improvemnt for Valley would definately be the return of Johnson to the lineup.

Top Teams
1. Paintsville
2. Shelby Valley
3. East Ridge
4. Belfry
5. Pike Central
6. Phelps
7. Pikeville
8. Johson Central
9. Allen Central
10. Betsy Layne

Top Players
2. Jamie Case-Belfry
5.Trai Witt- Betsy Layne
7. Tim Honaker-Pikeville
9. Robert Gannon-Phelps

You have East Ridge ranked over Belfry, Pikeville, and Johnson Central? I seen alot of summer games also, and I don't see East Ridge being in the top 5. They may be in the top 10, but not top 5. I also dont understand why you don't even have Prestonsburg in there. If you are making your predictions based on the summer games. How can you have Allen Central at number 9 when they only had 6 or 7 players that played? Did they even win a game?
Warlock Wrote:You have East Ridge ranked over Belfry, Pikeville, and Johnson Central? I seen alot of summer games also, and I don't see East Ridge being in the top 5. They may be in the top 10, but not top 5. I also dont understand why you don't even have Prestonsburg in there. If you are making your predictions based on the summer games. How can you have Allen Central at number 9 when they only had 6 or 7 players that played? Did they even win a game?

True
You can't go on what teams did in the summer. How many coaches get involved with trying to win every game in summer? How many teams had all of their players in the games played? It is a long time until December when things start.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:You can't go on what teams did in the summer. How many coaches get involved with trying to win every game in summer? How many teams had all of their players in the games played? It is a long time until December when things start.

So true, but ya gotta love the schools fans. Can't wait till December. It's gonna be wild.

Top Teams
1. Paintsville
2. Shelby Valley
3. East Ridge
4. Belfry
5. Pike Central
6. Phelps
7. Pikeville
8. Johson Central
9. Allen Central
10. Betsy Layne

Top Players
2. Jamie Case-Belfry
5.Trai Witt- Betsy Layne
7. Tim Honaker-Pikeville
9. Robert Gannon-Phelps

Hey,that looks really good..:thumpsup:
Top Teams:
1. Shelby Valley
2. Belfry
3. Johnson Central
4. Paintsville
5. Pike Central
6. Allen Central
7. Pikeville
8. Phelps
9. Magoffin County
10. Betsy Layne

This is how I think the reigon rankings should look... Rosco is back!!!
rosco Wrote:Top Teams:
1. Shelby Valley
2. Belfry
3. Johnson Central
4. Paintsville
5. Pike Central
6. Allen Central
7. Pikeville
8. Phelps
9. Magoffin County
10. Betsy Layne

This is how I think the reigon rankings should look... Rosco is back!!!

That also looks petty good
How did Prestonsburg look in Summer Camps and Scrimmages ? And I think Bobby Hughes should be in everyones top players !
From what I understood they didn't win a single game???
1) Johnson Central
2)Shelby Valley
3)Paintsville
4)Belfry
5)East Ridge
6)Betsy Lane
7)Pikeville
8)Magoffin
9)Pike Central
10) Phelps

Any of the 10 teams above could win it all,but I think that Johnson Central is going to win the 15th title for two years in a row.They have alot of talent and their improvement at the pg position has everyone excited.BMR will have another solid year with Slone and Vanhoose the only question is can the boys get along long enough to play ball like they should?SV-Has the very talented young pg's.They will surprise alot of teams this season.The sixth man will play a big roll in the 15th this year has it always has.Let me throw out two names of players who I think will be big assets to their teams.Zach Sergent-(Eagles), He is very quick and can shoot the ball.Jordan Witten-(Tigers),He is a young player that has a wide body and could dominate down low.Just watch for these guys this season.
cardsfan Wrote:1) Johnson Central
2)Shelby Valley
3)Paintsville
4)Belfry
5)East Ridge
6)Betsy Lane
7)Pikeville
8)Magoffin
9)Pike Central
10) Phelps

Any of the 10 teams above could win it all,but I think that Johnson Central is going to win the 15th title for two years in a row.They have alot of talent and their improvement at the pg position has everyone excited.BMR will have another solid year with Slone and Vanhoose the only question is can the boys get along long enough to play ball like they should?SV-Has the very talented young pg's.They will surprise alot of teams this season.The sixth man will play a big roll in the 15th this year has it always has.Let me throw out two names of players who I think will be big assets to their teams.Zach Sergent-(Eagles), He is very quick and can shoot the ball.Jordan Witten-(Tigers),He is a young player that has a wide body and could dominate down low.Just watch for these guys this season.

I agree with what you say about Paintsville players getting along, they are already fighting. Slone and Grimm had a little slug-a-roo fest last week. I know the Paintsville boys have started some sort of weight lifting program together, but I do wonder what next season brings.
BlueBells Wrote:I agree with what you say about Paintsville players getting along, they are already fighting. Slone and Grimm had a little slug-a-roo fest last week. I know the Paintsville boys have started some sort of weight lifting program together, but I do wonder what next season brings.

These boys need to get it together ! Paintsville can easly win the 15th if they could get things together ! BMR needs to make these boys run there butts off and make them get along !
I think JC will have a good shot this year. They have experience with McCarty & Meeks and they haven't had any problems welcoming new Golden Eagle Jaryd Crum. I think he will make a great addition to the team! I believe they all have a good idea of what they want out of this season & will work hard to achieve it. Paintsville will also have a strong season with Slone leading his team. I just hope the boys can leave their differences and egos at home long enough to play some ball!
JC should be tough as well as Paintsville. I like Valley and Pikeville also. AC,Magoffin,Lawrence and South Floyd could be sleepers!!!
JC is my pick to win the region....Back to Back
doesn't paintsville have a new player?? his name is like van ferguson i believe..
I heard he came from Florida.They say he is a better player than Lando! I would have to see him play before I would believe that though.He should help the Tigers out this season.
i heard that same thing too..