Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: North Laurel 10 Middlesboro 8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MHS suffered their first loss today to the visiting North Laurel Jaguars. Scored was tied at 7 all to start the 7th and the Jaguars were able to push a few across. Middlesboro put one on the board in the bottom half but left runners stranded on 2nd and 3rd to end the game.

Good game both ways.
10-8 is not good baseball especially with the new bats.
Word to the middlesboro coach when first base is open walk a d1 prospect.just saying
Was wondering about that myself. It was still just 8-7 in the top of the 7th, Carson comes up with two outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd, and you pitch to him? He smoked a triple that wound up being the game winner because Middlesboro got one back in the bottom of the 7th. None of us could believe that one.
Commanche Wrote:10-8 is not good baseball especially with the new bats.

8 runs is about average in high school baseball these days in regular season play.

And about Carson, it was his first hit of the game. He is a solid player, great arm, great wheels, and terrific defensive outfielder. He is a terror on the base paths as well. That being said, it wasn't his bat that got him an offer from UK.

Additionally, if you walk him to load the bases, it is very likely that you have to get through the 3 hitter to end the inning. Tough spot either way.
how many outs were there when Carson came to the plate?
Two outs runners on second and third
fence jumper Wrote:Two outs runners on second and third

There was just one out.
Actually, there were two outs. Actually, Carson had led the game off with a double. And actually, the kid has started since his 8th grade season, and his career batting average coming into this year was in the .430 range. Joey Votto and Mike Trout weren't on deck. It was super-de-duper dumb to pitch to him, because there was no down side to it. You get a weaker hitter and the force is on everywhere.
That is a classic set up to walk Carson and get the double play in order. This early in the season you play the percentages.
Hitters_Count Wrote:That is a classic set up to walk Carson and get the double play in order. This early in the season you play the percentages.

I'd love to know how many times Carson has been involved in a double play. haha

Like I said before, Carson isn't the type of player you intentionally put on base.
Good high school teams should not allow 8 runs period unless this was a fluke. Pitching and defense should definitely be ahead of hitting at this point of the year.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:I'd love to know how many times Carson has been involved in a double play. haha

Like I said before, Carson isn't the type of player you intentionally put on base.
I agree but there was runners on 2nd and 3rd so he couldnt steal his way around.All i was saying when a d-1 comes to the plate in a tie game with runners on you better walk him .:HitWall:
That puts the force on as well. You have to play the odds.
fence jumper Wrote:I agree but there was runners on 2nd and 3rd so he couldnt steal his way around.All i was saying when a d-1 comes to the plate in a tie game with runners on you better walk him .:HitWall:

I hope you realize you're screwing with a fragile mind here.
If I remember correctly the batter after Carson was struck out, so a walk would have probably won the game for middlesboro.:truestory:
Bob Seger Wrote:I hope you realize you're screwing with a fragile mind here.

TROLL much?
I agree completely that with any base open, in a close game situation you have to walk the best player. Regardless if he's a slugger or not, he's a leader and leaders will put the ball into play for something to happen.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:TROLL much?

Nope. Just statin facts.
And just so it's clear, there were two outs, Carson did have an earlier hit, leading off the game with a double and had also smoked one to the fence later that was caught. There is no scenario where walking him doesn't make sense. I think the Middlesboro coach will still too busy losing his mind over the ball the right fielder dropped earlier in the inning to be thinking about proper strategy.