Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New State Championship System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Louisville teams are head and heels above their competition almost all of the time. What if the KHSAA breaks the class system into East of I-75, and West of I-75.
Being from the eastern part of the state, I know that no matter how good some teams are from eastern KY, when they meet up with a larger team from the Louisville Metro area, there is normally no competition.

Thoughts?
Practice harder and get better
Im not saying I agree, but I hate those work and practice harder comments. Because in most situations your talent and depth will never match a Highlands. The location of the school means a lot in Khsaa. Most schools in Ky have little to no economy. So the kids u have is the kids i have. They cab work and practice harder all they want but there still never gonna win. Its just how it is.
I dont know exactly what you are meaning by no competition but even though Louisville Central has won 3A the last 3 years the games have been competitive and could have easily been a different outcome. You are also talking about teams like Bell County and Johnson Central who could beat or comepete with almost all louisville schools. As far as head and heels above their competition you must have just fell off the cabbage truck
I also want to note that schools like Highlands has great coaches and great feeder systems and I am not knocking on them at all. I think a lot of states have noticed that Private and Independent schools because some states has them in their own league. Most P and I's have great resources and seem to have very few down years as where most county schools will have 1 or 2 good seasons and be down for the next three years. I am hoping for some kind of change because I don't think it is fair right now knowing who will win 6a, 5a, 4a and 1a next year. But its our system and the only thing we can do is improve our coaching, feeder systems and resources.
bballfan2 Wrote:I dont know exactly what you are meaning by no competition but even though Louisville Central has won 3A the last 3 years the games have been competitive and could have easily been a different outcome. You are also talking about teams like Bell County and Johnson Central who could beat or comepete with almost all louisville schools. As far as head and heels above their competition you must have just fell off the cabbage truck

However, it is just a very small handful of teams that compete with them.
I just think that a Belfrey vs Bell would be a more fun game to watch because both teams are hard nosed, pin your ears back and go; and central is more finess and has the playbook of a college team offense.

Not trying to take credit away from anyone. Just an idea I have.
chicken_hawks101 Wrote:Im not saying I agree, but I hate those work and practice harder comments. Because in most situations your talent and depth will never match a Highlands. The location of the school means a lot in Khsaa. Most schools in Ky have little to no economy. So the kids u have is the kids i have. They cab work and practice harder all they want but there still never gonna win. Its just how it is.

The key to teams like Highlands success is a high percentage of the kids participation year round. I would say at least 70% of the boys play football. They are all in year round and not just during the football season.
BobbyBoushe Wrote:However, it is just a very small handful of teams that compete with them.
I just think that a Belfrey vs Bell would be a more fun game to watch because both teams are hard nosed, pin your ears back and go; and central is more finess and has the playbook of a college team offense.

Just because they don't run the belly 48 times a game doesn't mean they have a college playbook.
All private schools, independent schools, schools in Jefferson County, Fayette County, and schools located in Northern Kentucky or are in a county that borders one of the three above areas, or are in a county which borders another state should be precluded from playing in the KHSAA. If a school goes to a regional final 2 years in a row they must play up 2 classes for at least 5 years. If a county has more than two schools that play football in that county the schools must play up two classes. If the median income in a district exceeds the average income of Kentucky those schools must play up a class. If a school is located in a county which population exceeds 17,500 they must play up a class. If a school has more than 30% of their male students play football they must play up a class. I think this would address almost any advantage or perceived advantage a school could have. This should make it fair for all.
E's Army Wrote:All private schools, independent schools, schools in Jefferson County, Fayette County, and schools located in Northern Kentucky or are in a county that borders one of the three above areas, or are in a county which borders another state should be precluded from playing in the KHSAA. If a school goes to a regional final 2 years in a row they must play up 2 classes for at least 5 years. If a county has more than two schools that play football in that county the schools must play up two classes. If the median income in a district exceeds the average income of Kentucky those schools must play up a class. If a school is located in a county which population exceeds 17,500 they must play up a class. If a school has more than 30% of their male students play football they must play up a class. I think this would address almost any advantage or perceived advantage a school could have. This should make it fair for all.
Dude, who is left?
E's Army Wrote:All private schools, independent schools, schools in Jefferson County, Fayette County, and schools located in Northern Kentucky or are in a county that borders one of the three above areas, or are in a county which borders another state should be precluded from playing in the KHSAA. If a school goes to a regional final 2 years in a row they must play up 2 classes for at least 5 years. If a county has more than two schools that play football in that county the schools must play up two classes. If the median income in a district exceeds the average income of Kentucky those schools must play up a class. If a school is located in a county which population exceeds 17,500 they must play up a class. If a school has more than 30% of their male students play football they must play up a class. I think this would address almost any advantage or perceived advantage a school could have. This should make it fair for all.

No offense intended E, but this is ridiculous.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Just because they don't run the belly 48 times a game doesn't mean they have a college playbook.

True, but I would rather watch 2 teams with a power run game play, and 2 teams with a pass oriented offense rather than one with a power run game, and one pass oriented.

That's all I'm trying to get at.
BobbyBoushe Wrote:However, it is just a very small handful of teams that compete with them.

Central is actually very, very, very, very simple in their offensive scheme.

Lets make it simpler. Lets give EVERYONE a trophy, declare all of the teams co state champions and skip the playoffs all together! That way nobody would get their feelings hurt, everyone would have great self esteem, and all of the kids could talk about how they were on a state championship team when they were an old fart like me! I am sure it would make the world a better place!:Clap:
chicken_hawks101 Wrote:I also want to note that schools like Highlands has great coaches and great feeder systems and I am not knocking on them at all. I think a lot of states have noticed that Private and Independent schools because some states has them in their own league. Most P and I's have great resources and seem to have very few down years as where most county schools will have 1 or 2 good seasons and be down for the next three years. I am hoping for some kind of change because I don't think it is fair right now knowing who will win 6a, 5a, 4a and 1a next year. But its our system and the only thing we can do is improve our coaching, feeder systems and resources.

Independent schools are public schools
The (main) reason (or this is what we were told anyways) why Kentucky went to the 6 class system was because in all other sports..... Every school that competes gets atleast 1 post-season game.

I loved the 4 class system we had. I was always taught that winning at sports was something you had to Earn! Not just be accepted because everybody deserves a chance.

I guess the board of control thought it would be easier to add 2 more classes to football than have to re-do the all the other sports post-season format.

And yes.... teams that are 0-10, 1-9, 2-8, 3-7 do not deserve a spot in the football playoffs. But there teams in other sports that have 1-21 records that get atleast one game in the district basketball tournaments. Is that right..... Is that wrong.....
And some sports are much easier to recover from and play than others. A baseball team can play a double-header, but I don't see any football teams playing a double-header.

There is wide but razor thin line when it comes to the whole Public/Private, NKY-Lex/L-Ville area vs. EKY, 6A vs. 1A.... the list could go on.
And how long has basketball, baseball, volleyball, and softball received at least one playoff game? Sarcasm is really much needed. Just remember the ones that gets beat out of region, and eastern ky school goes to state in a watered down region has no one to blame but themselves. They are the one that voted not to separate public and private school. You got what you voted for.
Thanks for explaining my position Frozenbird. You got to make the most of what you have. Nobody can guarantee that some other school will not have an advantage.
chicken_hawks101 Wrote:I'm not saying I agree, but I hate those work and practice harder comments. Because in most situations your talent and depth will never match a Highlands. The location of the school means a lot in Khazar. Most schools in Ky have little to no economy. So the kids u have is the kids i have. They cab work and practice harder all they want but there still never gonna win. Its just how it is.
Football games are won in the off season (work harder than those teams you play against), when your team is practiceing worker harder than the rest. It's a team sport and takes a team effort. You're shorting your program by telling the kids we can't compete because of some reason.
Finesse in football ????? Lou Central. What team are you watching they mainly run the ball straight up the middle & off tackle. AND THAT DEFENSE IS NOT FINESSE AT ALL !
Coachdad Wrote:Finesse in football ????? Lou Central. What team are you watching they mainly run the ball straight up the middle & off tackle. AND THAT DEFENSE IS NOT FINESSE AT ALL !

Agree. There was about as much finesse in the Central/Belfry game this past year as there would be if two giant bulls fought inside a closet. I was so very impressed with how physical each team was. Tony Messer was a beast of a TE for Belfry and he got smacked on one reception. There were so many other hard hits by each team.
If I'm not mistaken the member schools of the KHSAA voted in delegate assembly, by the required majority, to separate public and private schools in playoff/tournament championship play. However, the KHSAA board of control over rode the schools' decision.
I think each of the district winners should be crowned state champ.