Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: East Ridge?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How long are they planning on staying out of district competition??
2 seasons
Never understood getting out of district play. Support the program to compete or don't have a program at all. I know that some will argue that its still a good experience for the kids but lets be honest, if a program is to a point where it is dropped from district competition it is not providing very many good experiences for student athletes.
Tell me what good it does for Pendleton Co to play Highlands and Cov Cath every year and lose by 60+ in District Games???
plantmanky Wrote:Tell me what good it does for Pendleton Co to play Highlands and Cov Cath every year and lose by 60+ in District Games???

They at least have the opportunity to go out and compete against the best. Would you rather have them play for absolutely nothing on a yearly basis?
Brooks4Prez Wrote:Never understood getting out of district play. Support the program to compete or don't have a program at all. I know that some will argue that its still a good experience for the kids but lets be honest, if a program is to a point where it is dropped from district competition it is not providing very many good experiences for student athletes.

Tell Lawrence County that.

The fact that the powers to be in the late 80's decided to drop out of district play for a few years is probably what helped save their program.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:They at least have the opportunity to go out and compete against the best. Would you rather have them play for absolutely nothing on a yearly basis?

Using your rationale, why doesn't every Pendleton County and East Ridge of the world go out and schedule Trinity, Highlands, Cov Cath?

On the flip side of that, how is playing those schools doing any kind of good for the power houses?
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Using your rationale, why doesn't every Pendleton County and East Ridge of the world go out and schedule Trinity, Highlands, Cov Cath?

On the flip side of that, how is playing those schools doing any kind of good for the power houses?

Because East Ridge and Belfry are within 30 minutes apart and have similar enrollment sizes. Because of that the great folk, for great reason have put them in the same district. I'm sure the schools don't choose to play each other. It's great to play good competition and see where you stand, but it can ware on a kids mental thought. Losing to Belfry by 50 isn't a big deal, they're state contenders year in and year out. Sure they'd love to win, who wouldn't like to beat Belfry? This is why you drop out of district play. Play a softer schedule, win 8 or 9 games. build the program, instill confidence, support from the community and school, then in 2 years come back out and see how much you've grown. It has nothing to do with the program "folding."
Real Badman Wrote:Because East Ridge and Belfry are within 30 minutes apart and have similar enrollment sizes. Because of that the great folk, for great reason have put them in the same district. I'm sure the schools don't choose to play each other. It's great to play good competition and see where you stand, but it can ware on a kids mental thought. Losing to Belfry by 50 isn't a big deal, they're state contenders year in and year out. Sure they'd love to win, who wouldn't like to beat Belfry? This is why you drop out of district play. Play a softer schedule, win 8 or 9 games. build the program, instill confidence, support from the community and school, then in 2 years come back out and see how much you've grown. It has nothing to do with the program "folding."

If it doesn't and everything you mentioned previously happens then that is great it is just concerning for a program like East Ridge where I do not see any greater level of support growing anytime soon regardless of who they play and whether or not they are in a district.
Real Badman Wrote:Because East Ridge and Belfry are within 30 minutes apart and have similar enrollment sizes. Because of that the great folk, for great reason have put them in the same district. I'm sure the schools don't choose to play each other. It's great to play good competition and see where you stand, but it can ware on a kids mental thought. Losing to Belfry by 50 isn't a big deal, they're state contenders year in and year out. Sure they'd love to win, who wouldn't like to beat Belfry? This is why you drop out of district play. Play a softer schedule, win 8 or 9 games. build the program, instill confidence, support from the community and school, then in 2 years come back out and see how much you've grown. It has nothing to do with the program "folding."

This is probably the 1st time i have agreed with you. Good post.
To build anything, you must first build a solid foundation. You cannot build a foundation playing against programs that are way ahead of you. Schedule teams that you can compete with, build confidence, interest, and excitement, then re-enter district play at the 2A level where you have a much better chance to compete.
I'm going to say that 85% or more of high school kids, and down to little league, don't really even know what a district or region is, sportswise. In ER's case, this is the best possible move they could make. All the kids see is the wins and losses for the most part. Put together a couple good winning seasons against teams on the same level as you, and you start getting other kids attention to come out and play. From high school, all the way down to little league. Build, win, and they will come.
plantmanky Wrote:Tell me what good it does for Pendleton Co to play Highlands and Cov Cath every year and lose by 60+ in District Games???

Fly Like a Duck Wrote:On the flip side of that, how is playing those schools doing any kind of good for the power houses?

I agree with both of these two. The truth is that it doesn't benefit EITHER team involved in a 50+ point blowout.

For the superior team, they are playing a game where they should win handily, regardless of missed assignments, blown plays, and less than 100% effort. Not a good lesson to learn.

For the inferior team, they are playing a game where they will likely not see any positive reinforcement for the good plays they make. And constantly getting beaten down each week would have to wear on the team's morale, possibly leading to defections and a smaller roster.

I believe you are better off playing teams either right at your same level, or at a level just above yours (where you at least have a puncher's chance to win). If ER feels their program is headed in the wrong direction, then dropping out of district may be the correct decision.
Here were East Ridge's scores from district games in 2012:

Pike Central 35-6
Belfry 51-0
Sheldon Clark 56-28
Lawrence Co 46-9

It doesn't appear they were competitive in district last year. If they felt like this year would be no better, then they probably should step away for a couple years.
School Admin. Wrote:To build anything, you must first build a solid foundation. You cannot build a foundation playing against programs that are way ahead of you. Schedule teams that you can compete with, build confidence, interest, and excitement, then re-enter district play at the 2A level where you have a much better chance to compete.

Not saying you're wrong, but is it a sure thing that ER will be dropping down to 2A in the next re-alignment?

I was just checking, and their boys enrollment for this current year is 306. Meanwhile, Prestonsburg has 329 boys this year. Perhaps the Blackcats may be moving up to 3A into ER's district?

There are some interesting outliers in the boys' enrollments for '12/13 at some schools in the local districts:

(1A-district 6)
Jenkins = 106
Hazard = 145

(1A-district 7)
Paintsville = 98

(1A-district 8)
Phelps = 132
So. Floyd = 156
Pikeville = 168
Allen Central = 249

(2A-district 8)
Betsy Layne = 226
Leslie Co = 253
Shelby Valley = 280
Prestonsburg = 329

(3A-district 7)
Knott Central = 305
Magoffin Co = 310
Morgan Co = 325
Breathitt Co = 354

(3A-district 8)
East Ridge = 306
Lawrence Co = 315
Sheldon Clark = 336
Pike Central = 368
Belfry = 394

Just based off this one year, I could easily see Betsy Layne and Allen Central swapping classes and districts. P-Burg could be moving up to 3A, with possibly Knott moving down into the 2A group with AC, Valley, and Leslie.
Looks like Pburg is flirting with 3A and Belfry is flirting with 4A.
Looking at the boys enrollment of all the schools, it would only make since to me to move Allen Central to 2A and also moving Pburg to 3A. I know the boys mind sets are to compete and try to prove everyone wrong with upsetting "bigger" teams in their district, but sometimes it can be in their best interest.
Has anyone seen the schedule for them yet??
Has East Ridge came out with a schedule yet?? Or does anyone know who all they paossibly are playing ??
When is he next realignment? Does KHSAA only do realignments every so any years?? What's he protocol??
East Ridge was my sons favorite team when he was a live, since his death I have always hoped this program would get things turned around.

Hopefully this works out for them.
School Admin. Wrote:To build anything, you must first build a solid foundation. You cannot build a foundation playing against programs that are way ahead of you. Schedule teams that you can compete with, build confidence, interest, and excitement, then re-enter district play at the 2A level where you have a much better chance to compete.

Who can ER actually compete with? The way last year turned out for them, it would seem like a hard task to complete a schedule with teams they can compete with. I mean, they were getting beaten by below average 1A teams. I would like to see ER do good as well but, it would seem to me that it has more to do with the program itself. The players have to want to win, the coaching staff has to get the players ready to win on the field and in the weight room, and the community needs to be behind the program as well. Perhaps I am way off with my assumption but, I don't think all of those things are occurring.
Cardinals ride Wrote:When is he next realignment? Does KHSAA only do realignments every so any years?? What's he protocol??

They do a realignment every 4 seasons. The current alignment is for the 2011-2014 seasons.
I think the best plan for East Ridge would be to take 4 years off, if that's allowed.
I think if they want to fill the schedule they will need to be willing to travel.

There are some really weak teams in the surrounding states. Do your homework and offer the ones you think you can compete with a home and home, even if it means playing more road games the first year.

I think the school has to be willing to do this and more to get the team on the field to improve.

Like I said the players need to do what it takes as well as the coaches in getting the numbers up.

The players as already stated must be willing to make the sacrifices needed to improve.

The coaches, as well as all staffs are doing their part, but in this case each, if possible should try to do a little more.

Just my thoughts on this.
i think with Allen out and the new coach coming in things will be very very different! Allen hasn't done anything to help those kids or improve the program
footballrebel Wrote:i think with Allen out and the new coach coming in things will be very very different! Allen hasn't done anything to help those kids or improve the program

If a program isn't doing well, the first thing people want to say is "fire the coach" I understand that in order to stay as a coach, you have to win some games. East Ridge has had 4 coaches in the 11 year existence at the school, Coach Allen is begining his 6th. He has been the most stable Coach in the sports program. East Ridge has had many challenges in building a program. The Middle School Football program has been a mess in years past, Coach Allen coached it himself for 2 years, they finally have some stability and a quality Middle School Coach in P.D. Hunt. Coach Allen has also had limited help in Coaching, it does appear this year will be different with the addition of 2 quality coaches. You can change coaches every year and it wouldn't matter. This program needs support from everyone and it must be given the things to win, like the other successful programs have. It appears as this is begining to happen and I do believe the program will improve.
So they got a new head coach at East Ridge?? Or what's going on there??? Also, who's the assistant coaches??
Football-fanatic Wrote:So they got a new head coach at East Ridge?? Or what's going on there??? Also, who's the assistant coaches??

No, Coach Allen is still there, there will be 2 new assistants. Cannot release names yet until its done. Should be able to announce later this week.
I have heard rumors, is Brad Allen coaching them this season? Any info?
Pages: 1 2