Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Simon Kenton 41 Collins 36 (8th Region Tournament)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final

Collins led most of the game and fell just short of pulling the major upset. Aaliyah Wells scored 18 points in her final game as a Titan to finish up a stellar high school career.
Aaliyah finished with 18 points, 15 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, and 2 steals.
Don't know why she didn't shoot every time she touched the ball. Would have at least prevented alot of turnovers.
Abby Owings scored 19 points, 12 in the fourth quarter, to help the Simon Kenton Lady Pioneers advance to the Eighth Region final with a 41-36 victory over the Collins Lady Titans on Monday night at North Oldham High School.

Collins (16-15) had Simon Kenton (28-5) confused for much of the first three quarters, leading 10-8 after one period, 20-15 at halftime and 30-27 after three periods. But the Lady Pioneers outscored the Lady Titans 26-16 in the second half and 14-6 in the decisive fourth .

"The difference in the second half was offensive rebounds," said Collins head coach Phillip Conder. "First half we held them to three of them, but in the second half they seemed like they got a bunch and then Owings got going. She's a fantastic basketball player."

Collins led 18-12 late in the first half before Owings hit her first 3-pointer. But it was teammate Paige Bosse who hit two in the third period that Conder pointed to as most crucial.

"I think the two biggest baskets for them were when we lost (Bosse) in transition and she hit those threes," he said. "Our defense was doing well other than those two breakdowns."

The first Bosse three tied the game at 22. The second brought Simon Kenton to within three at the end of the third period. Owings hit two threes to open the fourth period and Simon Kenton never looked back.

"My girls played a fantastic game," said Conder. "We didn't get to some loose balls, and turnovers hurt us there at the end. But I'm really proud of this senior class. It's the first class I had as freshmen."

The biggest star of that class is Aaliyah Wells, who had 14 of Collins' first 16 points and finished with 18.

"She really stepped up here the second half of the year, most of the time with two or three girls guarding her," said Conder. "I expect her to do well at the next level."

http://www.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...3303040120
SK has a real good group of freshmen coming in