Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: LCC basketball
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Will they be getting a new coach? After 4 year and still don't have a winning season.
No
Their getting a new super..so you never know..
no
I have to agree with UKisN1 if they were getting a new coach they would have already fired Coach Hammonds before now unless they are waiting until basketball season is officially over but I think you'll see Coach Hammonds on the sidelines coaching his Cougars next season.
I heard Breathitt County Coach Denny Fugate was going to leave Breathitt and go to Letcher Central along with The football Coach Mike Holcomb. Anyone else heard this?::devilflam
cheerleader4life Wrote:I heard Breathitt County Coach Denny Fugate was going to leave Breathitt and go to Letcher Central along with The football Coach Mike Holcomb. Anyone else heard this?::devilflam

Have heard it, but it is just hearsay until something happens (if it does).
cheerleader4life Wrote:I heard Breathitt County Coach Denny Fugate was going to leave Breathitt and go to Letcher Central along with The football Coach Mike Holcomb. Anyone else heard this?::devilflam

I've heard that rumor several times by different people but LCC has yet to fire coach Hammonds and I don't think they will. I think Coach Fugate will stay at Breathitt and Hammonds will stay at LCC
#1cougarfan Wrote:Will they be getting a new coach? After 4 year and still don't have a winning season.

Yes
no
kentuckynole Wrote:Yes
no
It will not make a difference when and if they decide to make a coaching change at LCC. Get a coach that will go out and get players to come to a school for a year or two and they will help compete every year for the region. Check the teams that really recruit and they are the schools that are playing in the regionals. I am not blaming these guys because pressure is put on them to win a regional or like I see here checking for a coaching solution. I can't see how men that make a living teaching and coaching can be judged by winning if they do not have the players. Whitesburg is a place that could surely get players to come and live for a year and will take LCC right to the top? The KHSAA has their hands tied and can do nothing about players changing schools or arriving from other countries and being allowed to play with an injunction or trying to reserve a little credibility in ruling them eligible. The legislature would need to step in and change the law to rule and I don't see that happening. There is no financial penalty that a school has to pay thus the players will be coming and high school basketball, football and other sports in the state will not be as we once knew. They have been doing this for years away from our part of the state and we are just now seeing things change here. Want a good coach? You have one! Want an average team you have it. Want to contend for a region then get the resources to go get them. Speaking of the coach from Breathitt that was at Cordia and I know he can coach, Did he have the success that Cordia is now enjoying with a young coach? No criticism for any school but it is bothersome a little when coaches are not allowed the same playing field as others within the rules and are expected to defeat the schools that aggressively go out and get players.
Denny missed his chance at Breathitt. If he stays, he will have a drop in talent. The group that graduated had a ton of effort put into winning a region from 10 and under days until graduation. Wes would of went with them if he hadn't stayed back in elementary school. Hensley went to Lee from that bunch. Denny will have his hands full to win a region at Breathitt in the near future.
Btw, 8th street get your facts straight the seniors that graduated this year Alex Hamiton,Richard Trent,and Cory Shouse all stayed back. So they would have graduated 2012.
sorry Iknowbball - i was talking about the breathitt bombers that used to travel and play all over the place - when you put that much time and effort into youth basketball it usually means they will be very good in high school - breathitt could of went to state last year if not for a horrible call - this years team did not come together
Hammonds not going anywhere imo
It would look pretty bad to send the KABC Coach of the Year packing. We have made enough mistakes as it is.
If Denny Fugate did leave Breathitt, Who would be the coach? Would they let Doug Noble have it back? Just Wondering:Sad04:
its happened many times in the past
UKisN1 Wrote:It would look pretty bad to send the KABC Coach of the Year packing. We have made enough mistakes as it is.

I know for a fact that they have asked al holland (varsity) and Harold Brashear (junior varsity) to come and take over the letcher county job. I don't know if they are interested though.
We have been down this road before. If Al Holland was wanting to come here he would have done it last year. Give it up. Coach Hammonds will be given more time. He did excellent considering what he lost. We are returning a great deal of talent back, and I think he deserves another shot.
I cant see Al leaving that money at Hazard, Breashers wife is family of Roy G Eversole and they are die hard Hazard people would be suprised if he left there im thinking he may think he has the pull to replace Hollon when he leaves, but im just shootin the shat here thats not fact! he would probably follow Al but its untellin. Hazards problem is the feeder systerm the old school coaches of the past in their biddy league are not around anymore its just someones daddy. You can see evidence of this with the fundamentals lacking in most of their players. What kinda feeder system does LCC have? Whitesburg and Letcher always had a good player or two you would think put together they would have been a little more competetive.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:It will not make a difference when and if they decide to make a coaching change at LCC. Get a coach that will go out and get players to come to a school for a year or two and they will help compete every year for the region. Check the teams that really recruit and they are the schools that are playing in the regionals. I am not blaming these guys because pressure is put on them to win a regional or like I see here checking for a coaching solution. I can't see how men that make a living teaching and coaching can be judged by winning if they do not have the players. Whitesburg is a place that could surely get players to come and live for a year and will take LCC right to the top? The KHSAA has their hands tied and can do nothing about players changing schools or arriving from other countries and being allowed to play with an injunction or trying to reserve a little credibility in ruling them eligible. The legislature would need to step in and change the law to rule and I don't see that happening. There is no financial penalty that a school has to pay thus the players will be coming and high school basketball, football and other sports in the state will not be as we once knew. They have been doing this for years away from our part of the state and we are just now seeing things change here. Want a good coach? You have one! Want an average team you have it. Want to contend for a region then get the resources to go get them. Speaking of the coach from Breathitt that was at Cordia and I know he can coach, Did he have the success that Cordia is now enjoying with a young coach? No criticism for any school but it is bothersome a little when coaches are not allowed the same playing field as others within the rules and are expected to defeat the schools that aggressively go out and get players.

I remember when Whitesburg always recruited player. This would be nothing new for LCC
It is hard to win the KY derby guys riding a donkey. Coaches are only as good as the players they are working with, regardless of how good their parents think they are. I think coach Hammonds has coached a team to the state tournament before right??
Hammonds almost had w jess in the finals in 09 I think? Its not easy getting out of the
14th and imo it wouldnt matter who the coach was in the past 3 or 4 yrs I dont think anyone gets them to Rupp in that time frame. But I do think one day LCC will be among the top in the region.
Booiedawg, I disagree with your statement about Hazard's feeder programs. The feeder programs are going strong and very successful on their own. Harold Brashear actually coaches one as well as the JV and freshmen teams. The gradeschool teams are thriving and the Varsity boys that grew up in the system and very sound fundamentally. They know how to play and they play team ball. They have great chemistry together but you don't get to see them play together on the court much.
I figure Brashear might get a few offers this year coming. Seems like he is tha winningest jv coach in the state. I know it's different then varsity but still. He has won the district and region the last 2 or 3 years.
JV coaches work as hard as varsity however no one can go by records for JV because so many fr and soph play varsity and not on the JV teams. Many JV coaches are in line to take over a program and hopefully get the consideration they deserve.
Big Al will be at Hazard the only other place Big Al would go is back to Perry and that may happen in a few months and it may not.
Heard they were messing with the pay up at Hazard and the big man wouldnt to happy.
Pages: 1 2