Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Possible Changes 2015
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1. 14 week season
2. Top 2 teams make playoffs
3. Practice start Aug. 1
4. 1st game Labor Day weekend
How likely are the changes going to take place?
bear claw Wrote:how likely are the changes going to take place?

very!!!!
it gets rid of week 0 and round 1 of the playoffs
Taking the top 2 teams is the worst idea that I have ever heard for football. Dont' t tell me about blowouts either because I just witnessed numerous blowouts in the basketball district playoffs. Now the other things I wouldnt mind. The open week gives you some flexibility in scheduling. I'm not for it going away.
Good riddings round 1 of the playoffs and the 1-9, 2-8, and 3-7 teams you hosted for so long...I'll let 4-6 and up off the hook Confusednicker:
Anything that moves summer practice and the start of the season back is a good thing to me. It just isn't safe for these kids to be doing 2 a days in mid July and not safe for kids to be out playing at full speed the first week of August. I also like the top 2 idea and moving the title game up a week so that way all the schools kids can be ready to go for basketball as well.
I am not really fond of the top 2 making the playoffs. In some cases there is a 3 way tie for first. So technically one team would miss the playoffs who was tied for winning the district. For example Cooper ( 5A state runner ups) would not have been in the playoffs this year because they were the 3 seed.
I Like the idea of starting later its just safer for the kids, and I like the playoff format as well.
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Anything that moves summer practice and the start of the season back is a good thing to me. It just isn't safe for these kids to be doing 2 a days in mid July and not safe for kids to be out playing at full speed the first week of August. I also like the top 2 idea and moving the title game up a week so that way all the schools kids can be ready to go for basketball as well.

This is the football forum. I'm not for anything in this state that helps basketball. They already are pampered enough.
johnnyd Wrote:This is the football forum. I'm not for anything in this state that helps basketball. They already are pampered enough.

I agree on that part. I do know there is going to be changes in basketball and baseball. Not sure what they ALL are. Both are going to lose 3-4 regular season games.
This is a good idea, never did like the thought of if you have a uniform then you make the playoffs. Moving back to the first is good also, wish it would be this year. Wouldnt mind if basketball would go to a shorter format as well instead of top 2 just take the winner of the district.
toussaints Wrote:it gets rid of week 0 and round 1 of the playoffs

Which, with starting the first week of games Labor Day weekend (which, I'm ALL FOR) would still make the finals the 1st weekend of December (or end of November, 1st of December like this year).

I'm all for this.

Only thing I don't like is the two teams in the playoffs. I don't like it one bit, and some think this argument is dumb, but when you have 0 and 1 win basketball teams going to the post season; this becomes just a little bit of a double standard.
Let me add to this, though, so long as we can get 7 v 7 back in June, I'd be for this.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Which, with starting the first week of games Labor Day weekend (which, I'm ALL FOR) would still make the finals the 1st weekend of December (or end of November, 1st of December like this year).

I'm all for this.

Only thing I don't like is the two teams in the playoffs. I don't like it one bit, and some think this argument is dumb, but when you have 0 and 1 win basketball teams going to the post season; this becomes just a little bit of a double standard.

:Thumbs:
toussaints Wrote:it gets rid of week 0 and round 1 of the playoffs

bigguy989 Wrote:This is a good idea, never did like the thought of if you have a uniform then you make the playoffs. Moving back to the first is good also, wish it would be this year. Wouldnt mind if basketball would go to a shorter format as well instead of top 2 just take the winner of the district.

If this proposal goes through, they need to do one of three things for basketball.

1) Not allow everybody into the district tourney.
2) Don't allow the district runner up to go to the region
3) Go straight to the region tourney (much like football), and only take the Top 2 seeds in each district from the regular season. It would be a lenthier process, but do the tie breaker system the same way.

I just don't think you can let the Top 4 teams in each district in basketball go to the District tourney AND the district runner up to the region, yet not at least let all 4 teams in football get in the playoffs.

If something has to give in football, it better in basketball and baseball as well. To which, the argument I've heard towards that is, "Well, at least football has classes." True. But, I've played and coached all three, and football is more about numbers than either of the other two ever thought about. Secondly, if private schools and/or big(ger) publics keep dominating basketball and baseball, they'll be in classes, too within the next 10 years. Mark that down.

I doubt they will go 6 classes like football (which, I'm still against), but they'll go 3 classes at least.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Which, with starting the first week of games Labor Day weekend (which, I'm ALL FOR) would still make the finals the 1st weekend of December (or end of November, 1st of December like this year).

I'm all for this.

Basketball is above all this. The people that want to do away with the 3 and 4 seed probably aren't from a school that would be a 3 or 4 seed maybe 1 out of 3 years. The Top 2 seeds only favors the traditional powers even more. Going to the top 2 seeds in the playoffs would be damaging to high school football in Kentucky. Look any team can have an injury, a off night, or something go wrong and lose a game. That's high school football for you. That's 15-18 year old kids for you. I think it's crazy to punish teams that might be better than the ones in the playoffs because they had an injury at the wrong time and lost to someone who was not as good. Don't get me wrong this will not be the majority of the time but it is the correct thing to do. Otherwise let's just BCS this thing, pick out a few teams who we "think" are the best, shorten the playoffs WAY down and make a bigger mockery out of this thing. I've said this before and I'll say it again another week with football is better than none at all. No matter if its 10-0 vs 0-10.
oline Wrote:I am not really fond of the top 2 making the playoffs. In some cases there is a 3 way tie for first. So technically one team would miss the playoffs who was tied for winning the district. For example Cooper ( 5A state runner ups) would not have been in the playoffs this year because they were the 3 seed.

I would be for somehow letting only 3 in. 3's knocking off 2's is as common as 12 over 5 upsets in the NCAA tourney.

Let 3 get in...1st seeds get a buy. I think that is very fair.
I don't like only the top 2 teams making the playoffs. In 2A you got Somerset, Danville, LCA and Middlesboro in one district all of which could beat the #1 seed from the opposite district of playoffs Prestonsburg, Leslie Co, Shelby Valley and Betsy Layne. Don't punish teams for being in a strong district just to satifiy those in a weak district.
Ike Cooter Wrote:I don't like only the top 2 teams making the playoffs. In 2A you got Somerset, Danville, LCA and Middlesboro in one district all of which could beat the #1 seed from the opposite district of playoffs Prestonsburg, Leslie Co, Shelby Valley and Betsy Layne. Don't punish teams for being in a strong district just to satifiy those in a weak district.

Little unfair statement. Prestonsburg beat Middlesboro and LCA only beat Leslie 34-26 I believe.
Everyone start practice August 1st, 5 days shoulderpads and helmets. August 6th have at it. Put us back in 4 classes and take the top 4 seeds to the playoffs. IF we are in 4 classes the districts will be much more competitive and 3 and 4 seeds will be able to compete with regional 1 and 2 seeds. Worked well in the 90's when Kentucky High School football really took off, would work well now. And then everyone can quit crying about the watered down stuff, and giving everyone a trophy. Trinity and Highlands will still get theirs.
Those changes are going to happen, in addition to those middle school will be governed by Khsaa. IMO Khsaa should be replaced starting at the top but that will not happen.
I think the playoff thing is dumb history to prove there has been teams not win a game in regular season and go and win state championship it gives kids that hope so they wont quit during the season. if this happens high school football wont be a popular i dont think any way everything else sounds great but the playoff format that is just khsaa letting basketball start sonner for these football players
CommodoreProud Wrote:I think the playoff thing is dumb history to prove there has been teams not win a game in regular season and go and win state championship it gives kids that hope so they wont quit during the season. if this happens high school football wont be a popular i dont think any way everything else sounds great but the playoff format that is just khsaa letting basketball start sonner for these football players

OK. When was there a team not win a game and win a state championship??? The finals in 2015 will be Dec 4-5 so basically same as now.
I think most teams go into season with 6 classes thinking they have a chance to come in 1st or 2nd in their district so expectations will still be there.
I will say there were some very good 2vs3 matchups along the way.
I wish theyd leave it alone.
Theyve done enough.
Its fine the way it is.
I like the idea because the teams that are 0-10 should not make the playoffs. and back in the 80s only the district champs and runners up got in and thats the way it should be.
William Muney Wrote:Those changes are going to happen, in addition to those middle school will be governed by Khsaa. IMO Khsaa should be replaced starting at the top but that will not happen.

KY Education Dept already talking about a National proposal to stop Spring Practice altogether because of safety issues and also no hold backs.
ballboy Wrote:I like the idea because the teams that are 0-10 should not make the playoffs. and back in the 80s only the district champs and runners up got in and thats the way it should be.

Back in the early 80s?
Heck, they tried it just a few years ago, 07 I believe, and it was a horrible ideal.
I agree 0-10 teams deserve no place in the playoffs, but that has nothing to do with the round of playoffs, that has to do with the fact that we have to many classes.

Its fine the way it is.
Labor Day great idea. The rest of this argument is stupid. What's the hurry?!! A December basketball game is useless how about they bump their season back to dec 1st.

Football guys this would be cutting our own throats for the sake of no blowouts which you will never guarantee. You will guarantee a lost week for ky football.

What are we afraid of? A blowout?!!!

So what?!! If you get blown out you learn to work harder. Can't learn at home.
I agree Johnnyd just put in

Trinity
Bowling green
Highlands
Central
Newport cath
Mayfield

Have a little tourney and the rest of us can watch in awe?
Pages: 1 2