Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rate the 15th after the 15th basketball camp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What are your predictions based only on the play after the Pike Central ball camp this week. I am still working on my list after watching about 20 games this week.
I have just been a fan for a long time but I have began to referee now (yes, that is crazy) and got to work this week at the PC Camp. It is still hard to rate the 15th because all the teams were not in the camp, but here are my thoughts from seeing them all this week. No ratings just alphabetical order:

Allen Central- didn't have many players this week (6 or 7) but will be much better this year. They are aggressive and have some shooters. Played very hard. They played well despite being shorthanded this week.

Belfry-will once again be good. The Case kid can play and they have good size around him. Physical and solid on the defensive end. Guards are once again solid and they are big inside.

Betsy Layne- have good size once again and will be in the hunt to win the 58th. Lost a lot of seniors but will still be very competitive next season. Patient coach will bring them along by tourney time.

East Ridge- still play hard but not as deep as usual. Guards can handle it and they shoot it well. Coleman kid is back also. 59th will be very tough again and they should be in the mix.

Paintsville- hardest team to figure out. Thought these kids would be unbeatable by now. Still have a lot of talent but they have a lot of distractions. Not typical of BMR teams to not stay focused. I am sure he will straighten things out but they need a leader on the court badly. Slone can still score in bunches but they still don't have any size.

Pike Central- Smaller than usual but still scrappy and play well together. Hamilton kid will be their go-to guy to score. Need to find more consistent shooters to replace Lowe. Will once again battle Belfry for 60th.

Pikeville- very much improved from last season. Play very hard on D and shoot it much better than last year. Guards are much better and the big kid is much improved. Very deep bench. Playing faster than last season. 59th will be very good.

Prestonsburg- will be a solid team by tourney time. They have some shooters and a big kid inside. Coach just lets them play in the summer but I think they will be in the hunt in the 58th this year.

Sheldon Clark- losing Crum really hurts them. They will be rebuilding since they lost some key seniors last year as well. Still play hard and will improve.

***Overall the region looks like it will be much improved this coming season as they handled the out of region teams most of the time!!
I am guessing that Valley did not attend this camp since you made no mention of them. Or that they must be bad. But I know they have had an excellent summer of basketball losing only three games as I am told. I believe that Valley will still go deep in the regional tournament next year. Good luck to all the teams this year!!!
StillGoing Wrote:I am guessing that Valley did not attend this camp since you made no mention of them. Or that they must be bad. But I know they have had an excellent summer of basketball losing only three games as I am told. I believe that Valley will still go deep in the regional tournament next year. Good luck to all the teams this year!!!

Hope so
StillGoing Wrote:I am guessing that Valley did not attend this camp since you made no mention of them. Or that they must be bad. But I know they have had an excellent summer of basketball losing only three games as I am told. I believe that Valley will still go deep in the regional tournament next year. Good luck to all the teams this year!!!

Valley didnt want in the camp, but they did put their AAU team in it.
SV did not attend but will be at or near the top in all pre-season rankings.
I think the top 5 teams will be....

Paintsville
Belfry
Pikeville
Prestonsburg
Shelby Valley
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:I think the top 5 teams will be....

Paintsville
Belfry
Pikeville
Prestonsburg
Shelby Valley

...close BBallOnly....but I see it like this....
1- Shelby Valley
2- Belfry
3-Pikeville
4-Paintsville
5-Johnson Central
Too early..Not every1 had all their players and some were working on other sports, so u can't really get a true judgment on the rankings..
bball fan Wrote:...close BBallOnly....but I see it like this....
1- Shelby Valley
2- Belfry
3-Pikeville
4-Paintsville
5-Johnson Central

You think Valley will be the top team in the region without having any inside play? Guards will only take you so far then you have to have rebounds and defense to win games.
i have watched shelby valley this summer and they will be the best team in it next year.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:You think Valley will be the top team in the region without having any inside play? Guards will only take you so far then you have to have rebounds and defense to win games.

You don't need inside play to win the 15th...Plain and simple fact.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:You think Valley will be the top team in the region without having any inside play? Guards will only take you so far then you have to have rebounds and defense to win games.

Funny thing is, guards have taken them to 3 regional titles in the last few years without any real "big men" as you like to say.
MRC06 Wrote:Funny thing is, guards have taken them to 3 regional titles in the last few years without any real "big men" as you like to say.

I usually just read, never post anything, but I created this account just to ask you how do you think the Riddles are going to feel about that statement. Were they 6'8"? No, but I think they qualified as "big men". At least they had some presence under the goal. Valley would do well to try and get Big John back in the lineup.
TICKLEME Wrote:I usually just read, never post anything, but I created this account just to ask you how do you think the Riddles are going to feel about that statement. Were they 6'8"? No, but I think they qualified as "big men". At least they had some presence under the goal. Valley would do well to try and get Big John back in the lineup.

That is just what I was going to say Tickleme. I bet the Riddle boys when they read this the LOVE the way Valley talks about their former players.
People say you dont need an inside game to win this region. What about when opponents knows you dont have one so they extend their defense out some. Do you think Valleys guards are big enough to rise above their defender and get a shot off? Defense will win your games.
bball fan Wrote:...close BBallOnly....but I see it like this....
1- Shelby Valley
2- Belfry
3-Pikeville
4-Paintsville
5-Johnson Central
Are these in your order of finishing?
TICKLEME Wrote:Are these in your order of finishing?

Just wondering? I think I would pick Belfrey to be at the top by the end of the season.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:That is just what I was going to say Tickleme. I bet the Riddle boys when they read this the LOVE the way Valley talks about their former players.
People say you dont need an inside game to win this region. What about when opponents knows you dont have one so they extend their defense out some. Do you think Valleys guards are big enough to rise above their defender and get a shot off? Defense will win your games.

How is anyone downgrading the Riddles by their statements? Valley has been a perimeter oriented team for most of its state tournament appearances. Cade Riddle was a good post player for Valley and they definitely wouldn't have gone as far as they had without him, but in no way, shape, nor form was Mitchell Riddle a post player. He was a very good 3 point shooter and a slasher which in no way can be mistaken by basketball people as an inside player.

Did Johnson Central have an inside game? Kyle Rice was good, but he certainly wasn't a GREAT inside player.

Did Pikeville have an inside game? Certainly not. They did it with good defense and control of the pace of the game.

Did Paintsville have an inside game? No explanation needed.

Did Belfry have an inside game? Everyone knows it was Maynard and Case. They had some complementary players, but no great inside players.

Prestonsburg? No

Pike Central? Brad Lowe--enough said

Betsy Layne? They had Brandon Kidd, but he wasn't dominant.

The 15th region hasn't had a team with a good inside game since Paintsville (Vanhoose) if I am not mistaken.
[QUOTE=BasketBallonlyfan]
People say you dont need an inside game to win this region. What about when opponents knows you dont have one so they extend their defense out some. Do you think Valleys guards are big enough to rise above their defender and get a shot off? QUOTE]

People have doubted the size of Elisha Justice and Logan Bryant for years, and they have consistently been proven wrong. They always just seem to get it done. Size means nothing when you have desire.
Randy Davis Wrote:How is anyone downgrading the Riddles by their statements? Valley has been a perimeter oriented team for most of its state tournament appearances. Cade Riddle was a good post player for Valley and they definitely wouldn't have gone as far as they had without him, but in no way, shape, nor form was Mitchell Riddle a post player. He was a very good 3 point shooter and a slasher which in no way can be mistaken by basketball people as an inside player.

Did Johnson Central have an inside game? Kyle Rice was good, but he certainly wasn't a GREAT inside player.

Did Pikeville have an inside game? Certainly not. They did it with good defense and control of the pace of the game.

Did Belfry have an inside game? Everyone knows it was Maynard and Case. They had some complementary players, but no great inside players.

Prestonsburg? No

The 15th region hasn't had a team with a good inside game since Paintsville (Vanhoose) if I am not mistaken.

Alright then, do you think Cade will be happy to hear that Valley didn't need him? It's a moot point anyway, Valley and Pikeville will both struggle this year. If you want to argue [and most men do] pick two different teams and start over!
1. Paintsville
2. Shelby Valley
3. Johnson Central
4. Allen Central
5. Phelps or Belfry
Pikeville do not see them being that good, Pbrug you never can tell until after december.
Hey Megan...you better think again if you rank Allen Central ahead of MOST of the 15th region....they will be much improved and well coached but they are still lacking one thing...athletic ability..the kid inside is going to be a nice player...but the rest are average at best....they play hard and they get the most out of their ability...but.....enough said....Belfry beat them soundly this summer without two of their starters...and I think Coach Casey played his JV most of the first half...
Also...for all you Valley bashers....witout Cade and Mitchell Shelby Valley would have been average at best....Cade was an inside presence...amd Mitchell was an athlete with size...these two guys were the reason Valley was in the finals last year..
I was beginning to wonder about all these Riddles who played inside. The only one I knew was Cade. True, Mitchell did play inside sometimes, but that was only when there was a noticeably smaller guy on him which represented a mismatch. When I played, we could have had four centers and a point guard among us. In this region, having an inside presence can greatly affect a game. When going up for a shot against a bigger person, many players can not phase out the fact that they might get blocked. Thinking too much about that can alter their shots. Remember, tall ain't all.
Randy Davis Wrote:How is anyone downgrading the Riddles by their statements? Valley has been a perimeter oriented team for most of its state tournament appearances. Cade Riddle was a good post player for Valley and they definitely wouldn't have gone as far as they had without him, but in no way, shape, nor form was Mitchell Riddle a post player. He was a very good 3 point shooter and a slasher which in no way can be mistaken by basketball people as an inside player.

Prestonsburg? No

Good Post!!
meganwillis10 Wrote:1. Paintsville
2. Shelby Valley
3. Johnson Central
4. Allen Central
5. Phelps or Belfry
Pikeville do not see them being that good, Pbrug you never can tell until after december.

Then you must have not seen Pikeville this summer!! As a matter of fact you must have not seen any teams this summer!! Paintsville had a lot of problems. AC didn't win hardly any games, and Phelps didn't even play games around here. So what are your predictions based on??
Randy Davis Wrote:[QUOTE=BasketBallonlyfan]
People say you dont need an inside game to win this region. What about when opponents knows you dont have one so they extend their defense out some. Do you think Valleys guards are big enough to rise above their defender and get a shot off? QUOTE]

People have doubted the size of Elisha Justice and Logan Bryant for years, and they have consistently been proven wrong. They always just seem to get it done. Size means nothing when you have desire.

Another good point! Justice and Bryant are very good guards!!
TICKLEME Wrote:Alright then, do you think Cade will be happy to hear that Valley didn't need him? It's a moot point anyway, Valley and Pikeville will both struggle this year. If you want to argue [and most men do] pick two different teams and start over!

Moot point?? Pikeville and Shelby Valley will both struggle??? I would take those two teams against any other two teams in the region next season.....and they will both be very young again!!
bball fan Wrote:Then you must have not seen Pikeville this summer!! As a matter of fact you must have not seen any teams this summer!! Paintsville had a lot of problems. AC didn't win hardly any games, and Phelps didn't even play games around here. So what are your predictions based on??

Well..... IF Phelps didn't play any games around here this season how do you know what they are gonna have??? Talent is what ya make of it... Phelps has a bunch coming back in Gannon, Page, (Charlie Hunt, if possible), Blankenship, and a true group who are dedicating themselves to the game. HEART is what this little group of kids have. They work as hard or harder than many teams because of their small school size. They don't have the enrollment or the backing many schools do. KUDO's to the kids from Phelps.... they are great!!!!
bball fan Wrote:Then you must have not seen Pikeville this summer!! As a matter of fact you must have not seen any teams this summer!! Paintsville had a lot of problems. AC didn't win hardly any games, and Phelps didn't even play games around here. So what are your predictions based on??

I do look for Pikeville to do well this year. They have a great coach and that is 1/2 the battle. As for AC, I don't think they'll make much noise either, but they're always scrappy and play tough. Phelps I honestly have no clue.

I'm sure Paintsville struggled and had their share of problems. These kids had it easy their Fresh year. THey were young and they had to prove themselves which I think they did (decently). Their soph year was another story. BMR was not there full time, there were petty issues that became HUGE and the PARENTS don't know when to GO AWAY! However, BMR is back and he's full time, and Christ Jesus, it's only June! Don't count them out. I look for some serious a** kicking to occur on BMR's part between now and Oct.

My early prediction ~ PHS lives up to the 86,87,88 / 96,97,98 legacy and gets the '07 region to keep the cycle alive! Sorry JC. Got to go blue on this one.

I do expect valley to be good and I know the history, but I don't think AAU and the middle school glory years make them winners in the 15th. There are too many things to consider. Especially, when you take kids that young and hype them up, then force them to live to the expectations.
Pages: 1 2