Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Collins 52 Shelby County 48 (2OT)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final

Aaliyah Wells drove the length of the court and hit two freethrows with no time left on the clock to send the game into OT. I believe she had between 35-40 points.
questionable call to put her on the line.....but clutch knocking down the FT's.
Congrats
There was more contact on that play than the regular season game that sent the Shelby player to the line to win the game. It is a high school game there alot of calls missed on both sides.
Shelbycatfan Wrote:There was more contact on that play than the regular season game that sent the Shelby player to the line to win the game. It is a high school game there alot of calls missed on both sides.

Maybe so. I didn't see the other call you are referencing so I cannot comment on it.

It looked from my vantage point that the contact was after the horn..actually, I wasn't even sure the shot was off in time and the contact was well after she let the ball go. On top of that, I thought you could argue that it was a charge instead of a block either way.

Again, not trying to debate over refs....it was a close/questionable call at best. Regardless, Wells still had to step up and make the shots and she did.
magicfan217 Wrote:Maybe so. I didn't see the other call you are referencing so I cannot comment on it.

It looked from my vantage point that the contact was after the horn..actually, I wasn't even sure the shot was off in time and the contact was well after she let the ball go. On top of that, I thought you could argue that it was a charge instead of a block either way.

Again, not trying to debate over refs....it was a close/questionable call at best. Regardless, Wells still had to step up and make the shots and she did.

From where I was I thought that she did get it off in time, however it was very close. Either way a foul was called and like you said Aaliyah stepped up big time and made her shots to extend her career at least two more games.
To me there are two words that best describe Wednesday night’s 30th District Tournament girls’ basketball semifinal between Collins and Shelby County - instant classic.

There’s no other way to describe the Titans’ 52-48 double-overtime victory over the Rockets at Collins. If Shelby County had its own version of ESPN Classic the game would’ve already been aired five or six times.

“It was a great game,” Titans Coach Phillip Conder said. “It was a great game to be a part of, I’m sure the fans enjoyed it.”

It featured a sensational performance by Collins senior standout forward Aaliyah Wells (36 points, 11 rebounds, 6 steals), last-second shots, last-second free throws, several lead changes and plenty of drama.

Wells hit a buzzer-beating 3-pointer at the end of the first quarter and a last-second jumper at the conclusion of the second period. She then scored the first basket of the third quarter to push the Titans’ lead to 10 points. In that type of slow-tempo game that advantage was probably more like a 16- or 18-point cushion, but the Rockets never folded.

Sophomore point guard Katie Hudgens started Shelby County’s comeback with a layup and a 3-pointer to quick cut Collins’ lead in half. The Rockets eventually tied the game in the fourth quarter, however, on Savannah Raizor’s game-knotting 3-pointer Hudgens fell hard on the floor.

She was taken off the floor on a stretcher with a left hip injury (thankfully all x-rays afterward were negative), but didn’t return. [Side note: The Collins players & coaching staff sent Hudgens some flowers after the game]

It was a tough blow for Shelby considering that Hudgens is the team’s best ball-handler, but the Rockets didn’t back down. If anything it seemed to energize them. They took the lead and still had it in the final seconds. At that point I already had the first sentence for my story in Friday’s paper figured out – This one was for Katie – it would have read.

Instead Wells would hit two free throws with no time on the clock to send the game into overtime. She was the only one on her side of halfcourt when she shot the free throws (no pressure, right?!). Now afterward there was debate as to whether the final whistle of regulation should’ve been a block or a charge, and if that whistle itself even came before the clock hit zero. I still haven’t seen a replay of that last call and I can’t even give an opinion because I was on the opposite end of the court and was looking through my camera lens at the time.

“I won’t say anything about the calls, I’ll let other people pass judgment,” Shelby County Coach Mike Sowers said afterward.

For my part I’ll say this. Yes there were some debatable calls, but you have those in every game. My guess is that those will only add to the lore of this game when people remember it years from now.

“They did everything to win the game and I thought both teams did,” Conder said. “That’s one of those games you hate to see any team lose. They played their hearts out and we played our hearts out.”

To me those are the signs of an instant classic.

http://www.sentinelnews.com/content/coll...nt-classic
Aaliyah Wells wouldn’t be denied Wednesday night.

Wells, a senior forward for Collins High School, scored 36 points – including two on free throws with no time left on the clock and her career hanging in the balance at the end of regulation – to help the host Titans to a 52-48, double-overtime victory over Shelby County in the 30th District Tournament semifinal.

“I was not going to lose,” Wells said. “I was determined, we were determined, to win.”

http://www.sentinelnews.com/content/tita...once-again

[Image: sccgbb1_0.jpg]

Collins senior forward Aaliyah Wells gets mobbed by her teammates after hitting a pair of free throws with no time on the clock at the end of regulation to send Wednesday night's 30th District Tournament semifinal against rival Shelby County into overtime. Wells scored 36 points to lead the host Titans 52-48 victory over the Rockets. Collins will play Anderson County at 6 p.m. tonight in the district final. Regardless of the outcome the Titans will play in next week's 8th Region Tournament at North Oldham. Pairings will be announced this weekend.