Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Johnson Central 2013
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Does anyone have any updates on the schedule and players.
I would guess that JC will run the ball this season Wink
But for real... I would like to see a schedule for my Golden Eagles if anybody has it.
How many do they have in weight room?
dns Wrote:How many do they have in weight room?

Depends on what time they choose to lift. Several younger kids lift after school and around 15-20 returning players lift in the evening. Those numbers are expected to increase following the completion of the basketball season and after the wrestling athletes get healed up from their season. Kids seem to enjoy the variety of lifts used to increase their speed, power and overall strength levels. Several players show up to early Saturday morning workouts, weather permitting, to do their agilities, sled runs and other speed work drills. To answer your question I would put a close number to around 30 players are actively participating in some type of offseason program. I'm sure this number isn't as high as some of the other teams in their district or the teams from NKY but it is a good start for mid-February.
I heard the after school lifting was much tougher than lifting during school . Is that true or is it the same program?
The only game listed so far is Sept 20, they host The Harlan County Black Bears.
dns Wrote:I heard the after school lifting was much tougher than lifting during school . Is that true or is it the same program?

The during school lifting, 7th and 8th period, are part of Coach Knott's classes. The kids that are lifting right after school are using his program and the kids that choose to lift in the evening are on a specialized program. I'm not sure what exact lifts Coach Knott has them doing but I would venture to say the evening sessions with many of the returning players are much more difficult.
I spoke with a few of the players at a recent basketball game about their lifting and numbers. They did say that the evening sessions are much tougher, but are seeing the benefits. From what I could gather, Coaches Kyle and Justin Arms have been organizing and running their weight program...Kyle more than Justin as of late since he is also an assistant for the JC baseball program. The players were very excited about the program and there are more coming out with the end of some of the winter sports. From what they said, Coach Kyle Arms has attended several strength and conditioning clinics; Univ. of Tennessee, UK, and Ohio State and has combined various aspects from each program.

On another note, I have heard a rumor that the rivalry with Sheldon Clark may be renewed this coming season. Best of luck.
Are they a lot of those big lineman lifting?
How did the JV do last season and will any of those players have a big role this season at the varsity level?
I'd say Coach Arms is putting them through the ringer!
Is the coach Matney going to get the kids in the weight room now that wrestling is over.To compete with northen Ky schools teams have to get stronger.
Question -- Are any of last years JCMS boys going to have a shot to play varsity next year? We played them this year and they were TOUGH.
dns Wrote:Is the coach Matney going to get the kids in the weight room now that wrestling is over.To compete with northen Ky schools teams have to get stronger.

Right now all the lifting is optional. The ones that choose to lift show up and the ones that don't, don't. Not sure if it will ever be mandatory but the initiative that the returning players have that have been showing up is setting a great example for everyone else. I read a quote the other day that applies not only to JC, other student athletes but everyone in general, "Discipline: Is The Bridge Between Goals and Accomplishments." Everyone has a list of things they would like to achieve but wishing for something without committing yourself to that goal will always remain a wish. When you apply yourself you begin to bridge that gap and put you in a better position to conquer it.

Belfry: That is a question no one can answer until they strap it up and compete. A lot of unknowns exist when talking about 14 and 15 year old kids going up against guys that are 17 and 18 years old. One of the biggest things will be how they adapt to the speed and physicality of the game at the high school level compared to middle school.
But Dale it shouldn't be optinal, it should be mandatory. If those kids want to compete with Northen Ky teams they need to be in weight room. When is JC fans gpoing to get tired of winning ten or eleven games and not playing on the carpet.

DALE Wrote:Right now all the lifting is optional. The ones that choose to lift show up and the ones that don't, don't. Not sure if it will ever be mandatory but the initiative that the returning players have that have been showing up is setting a great example for everyone else. I read a quote the other day that applies not only to JC, other student athletes but everyone in general, "Discipline: Is The Bridge Between Goals and Accomplishments." Everyone has a list of things they would like to achieve but wishing for something without committing yourself to that goal will always remain a wish. When you apply yourself you begin to bridge that gap and put you in a better position to conquer it.

Belfry: That is a question no one can answer until they strap it up and compete. A lot of unknowns exist when talking about 14 and 15 year old kids going up against guys that are 17 and 18 years old. One of the biggest things will be how they adapt to the speed and physicality of the game at the high school level compared to middle school.
Hey I'm not bashing JC, but doesn't every young football player dream of playing in state finals.
jchs 2013 schedule
perry county
ironton ohio
belfry
boyd county
greenup county
ashland blazer
rowan county
harlan county
sheldon clark
fairview ---since ashland rusell and greenup drop them from schedule two protest because they said fairview was recruiting,
dns Wrote:But Dale it shouldn't be optinal, it should be mandatory. If those kids want to compete with Northen Ky teams they need to be in weight room. When is JC fans gpoing to get tired of winning ten or eleven games and not playing on the carpet.

I'll tell you what I'm tired of cricket bed, I'm tired of you getting on here and running your mouth and hiding behind multiple user names like a coward and taking shots on our team and our coach, if you have any concerns about the way Coach Matney handles his team why dont you just ask him personally instead of taking pot shots about his team on a message board. Most of us know who you are so you're crazy if you think your pulling the wool over everyones eyes.
I would also like to thank Coach Kyle Arms for the work that he is putting in getting our boys ready for the upcoming season.
eagles2011 Wrote:jchs 2013 schedule
perry county
ironton ohio
belfry
boyd county
greenup county
ashland blazer
rowan county
harlan county
sheldon clark
fairview ---since ashland rusell and greenup drop them from schedule two protest because they said fairview was recruiting,

When did they add Fairview?
Don Carlo Wrote:I would also like to thank Coach Kyle Arms for the work that he is putting in getting our boys ready for the upcoming season.

Your words are very much appreciated. It has been an honor to work with these young men and I am thankful that Coach Matney, Mr. Crum and other members of the staff have entrusted me with this task. The players hard work, encouragement of one another and commitment to this program drives me to continuously improve my ability. Training athletes has been a passion of mine for the past three years, this is my first at JC, and after seeing them push themselves through their limits, achieve new PRs and then smile at the end of the day is a reward within itself. All the miles that I've traveled, clinics I've attended and conversations with coaches from across the country, when I see these young men enjoy what they do, have been worth it. Thanks Don once again.
dns Wrote:But Dale it shouldn't be optinal, it should be mandatory. If those kids want to compete with Northen Ky teams they need to be in weight room. When is JC fans gpoing to get tired of winning ten or eleven games and not playing on the carpet.

I'm sure it will become mandatory once the basketballs have stopped bouncing and the wrestlers are healed up. A grueling season on the mat takes time for the body to heal. Some will play other sports, which I encourage because you only go through high school once, but once the bodies of those that don't are able to I'm sure they will be there.
Don Carlo Wrote:I'll tell you what I'm tired of cricket bed, I'm tired of you getting on here and running your mouth and hiding behind multiple user names like a coward and taking shots on our team and our coach, if you have any concerns about the way Coach Matney handles his team why dont you just ask him personally instead of taking pot shots about his team on a message board. Most of us know who you are so you're crazy if you think your pulling the wool over everyones eyes.

Frst of all I'm not bashing anyone, so read the post! Second of all you don't know who I am. I would love see JC play on the carpet. But if those big lineman don't lift then what good are the going to be when they play northern ky teams. I bet if you ask all the coaches on every tearm not just JC, they will tell you the weight room is a big part of winning a stat title.
dns Wrote:Hey I'm not bashing JC, but doesn't every young football player dream of playing in state finals.

Yes. And Highlands will never, ever allow anyone else on this half of the state to do that in our lifetime. We get 40 kids in the weight room; they're going to have 100. Every year. Their backups can play. The backups' backups can play. They have former NFL players as position coaches. What are you supposed to do to compete with that? We can lift and do plyo and run sprints until our legs fall off with every kid we can force into a weight room, but the reality is - just like everyone else in 4A every year until Mueller decides he's gonna hang it up - we're all playing to make it as far as we can in the playoffs until we face Highlands. And it's not just us. It's everybody else in the state in 4A, too. This is the unfortunate reality; there's no competitive balance, and won't be, regardless of how hard we work. I suppose one of the lessons HS sports teaches is that life isn't always fair. This is certainly one of those situations. So I think people in Johnson County realize that winning eleven games, a district title, and making it to face Highlands will always be a successful season, and nobody's going to get tired of that, I assure you. If you're trying to stir up unrest and dissatisfaction with Coach Matney as somehow underachieving, don't bother, because we all know good and well nobody is going to come in and here and do any better (unless that person brings some five-star players with him when they hire him). Vince Lombardi couldn't take the meager amount of athletes we have available in Johnson County and compete with that army in Ft. Thomas. It's a numbers game, and by virtue of where we are and what we are, we're always going to come up short. We might put a competitive first eleven on the field, but they're going to be throwing full platoons at you all game long, and their backups would start everywhere else.

Too bad Canadians aren't better at football. I wish we could "direct" a few troubled star QB and WR prospects toward Johnson County like our area basketball colleagues do. Or maybe some star players could fall out of the sky like they seem to other places. Til then, we're going to keep doing the best we can with what we have, and we'll never get tired of trying and dreaming the impossible dream.
Diogenes Wrote:Yes. And Highlands will never, ever allow anyone else on this half of the state to do that in our lifetime. We get 40 kids in the weight room; they're going to have 100. Every year. Their backups can play. The backups' backups can play. They have former NFL players as position coaches. What are you supposed to do to compete with that? We can lift and do plyo and run sprints until our legs fall off with every kid we can force into a weight room, but the reality is - just like everyone else in 4A every year until Mueller decides he's gonna hang it up - we're all playing to make it as far as we can in the playoffs until we face Highlands. And it's not just us. It's everybody else in the state in 4A, too. This is the unfortunate reality; there's no competitive balance, and won't be, regardless of how hard we work. I suppose one of the lessons HS sports teaches is that life isn't always fair. This is certainly one of those situations. So I think people in Johnson County realize that winning eleven games, a district title, and making it to face Highlands will always be a successful season, and nobody's going to get tired of that, I assure you. If you're trying to stir up unrest and dissatisfaction with Coach Matney as somehow underachieving, don't bother, because we all know good and well nobody is going to come in and here and do any better (unless that person brings some five-star players with him when they hire him). Vince Lombardi couldn't take the meager amount of athletes we have available in Johnson County and compete with that army in Ft. Thomas. It's a numbers game, and by virtue of where we are and what we are, we're always going to come up short. We might put a competitive first eleven on the field, but they're going to be throwing full platoons at you all game long, and their backups would start everywhere else.

Too bad Canadians aren't better at football. I wish we could "direct" a few troubled star QB and WR prospects toward Johnson County like our area basketball colleagues do. Or maybe some star players could fall out of the sky like they seem to other places. Til then, we're going to keep doing the best we can with what we have, and we'll never get tired of trying and dreaming the impossible dream.

And 5A and 6A.

Aaaaand, it's like any other school in the state of Kentucky has been able to handle whom was the #2 ranked team in the ENTIRE UNITED STATES only a couple of years ago.....But I think it is fair to say that JC has been able to do it as well, or if not better than anyone else in the entire state, other than the last two Trinity teams of course.
Those are good points. But I wasn't brought up to finish 2nd. And im not bashing those kids that are lifting and the coaches that are teaching. The big kids walking the hallways thinking they are going to play because im big. Thats the kids that need to be in weight room. :igiveup:
dns Wrote:Those are good points. But I wasn't brought up to finish 2nd. And im not bashing those kids that are lifting and the coaches that are teaching. The big kids walking the hallways thinking they are going to play because im big. Thats the kids that need to be in weight room. :igiveup:

Since you have personally finished first in everything you've ever done, would you care to expand on what those acheivements have been?.......Just curious as to what your personal resume may entail that could back up your claim to have attained that lofty tatus.
Bob Seger Wrote:Since you have personally finished first in everything you've ever done, would you care to expand on what those acheivements have been?.......Just curious as to what your personal resume may entail that could back up your claim to have attained that lofty tatus.

*status
Diogenes Wrote:Yes. And Highlands will never, ever allow anyone else on this half of the state to do that in our lifetime. We get 40 kids in the weight room; they're going to have 100. Every year. Their backups can play. The backups' backups can play. They have former NFL players as position coaches. What are you supposed to do to compete with that? We can lift and do plyo and run sprints until our legs fall off with every kid we can force into a weight room, but the reality is - just like everyone else in 4A every year until Mueller decides he's gonna hang it up - we're all playing to make it as far as we can in the playoffs until we face Highlands. And it's not just us. It's everybody else in the state in 4A, too. This is the unfortunate reality; there's no competitive balance, and won't be, regardless of how hard we work. I suppose one of the lessons HS sports teaches is that life isn't always fair. This is certainly one of those situations. So I think people in Johnson County realize that winning eleven games, a district title, and making it to face Highlands will always be a successful season, and nobody's going to get tired of that, I assure you. If you're trying to stir up unrest and dissatisfaction with Coach Matney as somehow underachieving, don't bother, because we all know good and well nobody is going to come in and here and do any better (unless that person brings some five-star players with him when they hire him). Vince Lombardi couldn't take the meager amount of athletes we have available in Johnson County and compete with that army in Ft. Thomas. It's a numbers game, and by virtue of where we are and what we are, we're always going to come up short. We might put a competitive first eleven on the field, but they're going to be throwing full platoons at you all game long, and their backups would start everywhere else.

I understand you point about highlands dominance. But these things will. Cycle out I promise. Will JC beat highlands IDK I would like to see it. But even if not JC or Ashland. Lex Cath,Cov Cath,or Boyle will get them eventually. I don't understand this defeatist attitude when it comes to the birds. They are 17 &18 year old kids just like the rest of the state. There is nothing special in the water up there they just do it with hard work,pride,and good coaching. No reason why those factors can't be in place at other programs.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5