Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: N.J. basketball player of year chooses Florida over UK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Once the supposed king of all it surveyed, Kentucky basketball has now lost a recruiting battle to "flip-flops and sandals."

This latest insult came Saturday when prospect Dan Werner committed to Florida over UK.

His father, Ron Werner, cited the weather advantage Florida enjoyed. For all its Blue-blooded tradition and routine excellence, UK cannot match Gainesville's moderate temperatures in January and February.

"Going to school in flip-flops and sandals eight months of the year was appealing to Dan," the player's father, Ron Werner, said.

Werner, the New Jersey Player of the Year, originally committed to North Carolina State last fall. He sought a new school after Coach Herb Sendek left N.C. State for Arizona State.

Kentucky, which struck out repeatedly on forward prospects (most notably Brandan Wright, Deon Thompson and Thaddeus Young) this recruiting year, seemed an ideal fit. Like all prospects, Werner sought immediate playing time. With Rekalin Sims transferring and Sheray Thomas not yet able to take charge, Kentucky had a clear need at power forward.

By contrast, Florida returns all five starters from a national championship team.

Yet Werner committed to Florida.

"He felt comfortable with what Coach (Billy) Donovan said about playing time and where he fit in," Ron Werner said. Donovan held out the prospect of playing 15 to 20 minutes a game next season, the elder Werner said.

UK Coach Tubby Smith noted Werner's ability to "contribute right away," the player's father said. "Kentucky was very professional. (Dan) was very secure and happy with the entire staff."

At 6-foot-8, Werner is billed as the kind of multi-skilled forward all programs desire: big enough to rebound and play inside while possessing the perimeter skills that create matchup problems for the opposition.

UK and Florida each likened Werner to one of its former stars: Scott Padgett for the Cats, Matt Bonner for the Gators.

Kentucky's tradition dwarfs Florida's (and almost every other school's). But for the average 18-year-old, Dan Issel might as well be Red Grange, a figure off the yellowed pages of yesteryear.

Scarily (from UK's point of view), Ron Werner equated Florida's tradition with Kentucky's.

"In the last five or 10 years, both are very high-level programs," he said. "They'll both probably be in the top 10 next year."
This trend of players opting to go to other schools instead of UK has to stop. I know they cannot sign every top high school athlete, but they should pick up a few every now and then. UK couldn't even land a forward this year with Tubby telling them they can play right away. UK's recruiting has to improve if they want to stay in the top ten.
It's not going to stop until UK gets back to where they used to be. I once questioned Tubby's recruiting ability, but maybe it's just that noone wants to play for a washed up team. UK will always be my team, but something has got to be done. I don't know what they need, but someone needs to step up and take charge.
If it makes him happy.
No top player wants to be ruined by Tubby's style of offense.
and yet another recruit is lost.....
i dont know what to say. i guess werner dident want to play slower than watching grass grow kentucky ball. that is how the nation is seeing us. they all say tubby is a great coach i think they are just glad to see use fail. tell me another top flight program that would like to have tubby's boring ass come coach for them.
UNREAL..This program is a disaster right now, and it sure doesn't look an better in the future!
I think it was a matter of Billy D. over Tubby S. rather than a decision of UF over UK. That being said, I like Tubby, but his time at UK is over IMO and a new face needs to be brought in.
personally i'd take florida over kentucky any day of the week... not because of basketball or academics.. but if i had my choice between the two. i'd pack my flip flops and go south.. for the winter, and spring..