Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 64th District Tournament Preview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The pairings are set now that district play has been completed and the post season schedule has been "flipped".

Game Schedule for 64th District (games held at Boyd County Middle School)
Tuesday Feb. 19th
6:00 (1)Ashland vs. (4)Rose Hill
8:00 (2)Boyd vs. (3)Fairview

The Skinny

Both Ashland and Boyd finished the season with a 5-1 record and split the games with one another, each winning on the other's floor. The tie resulted in a coin flip that was won by Ashland who by virtue of the flip assumes the #1 seed in the tournament.

Ashland - The Tomcats have reeled off 7 straight wins since their loss to Boyd on their floor nearly a month ago. With 2 big wins at Rowan on the road and vs. Johnson Central at home, Ashland has the most momentum in the district, perhaps the region. Led by standout sophomore Dikembe Dixson who has been a double-double machine and the hot shooting of Logan Salow, the Tomcats look to cruise thru the opening game and be rested for the final on Friday. The point guard play of Ross Thompson has been key and with consistent play from both Stephen Friley in the post and Nick Miller's versatility, the Tomcats are solid. If Zach Hart contributes like he's able, the Tomcats will be tough to beat.

Boyd County - Coach Randy Anderson has to like the position he's in at this point considering the loss of big man Brandon Lowe with a season ending ACL injury. What have the Lions done since? They've won 7 of 8, largely in part to the consistent production of senior Austin Hunt. He gets his teammates involved and the distribution has been even and effective. Todd Stacy, Grayson Griffith, and Tristan Burgess have all been effective beyond the arc, and Brandon Taylor has been consistent down low. Another key has been the 2-headed point guard play led by senior Jesse Wallace and frosh Bobby Anderson. If Boyd distributes it and shoots it well, they will similarly difficult to deal with.

Fairview - The Eagles have had a couple of games lately where they just couldn't finish. They gave Boyd and Ashland both fits in the firs halves of their games but couldn't hang on to the lead in either. Currently they've lost 4 straight and 7 of the last 10. That doesn't mean that Boyd will overlook them in the first round. Senior Elijah King can score in spurts and has been aggressive on the glass. The absence of Devon Turner, who quit to concentrate on football, has put the ball in Isaiah King's hands much more and he's been very productive. Tanner Dolen has been stout on the glass and effective down low also. The question is can the Eagles put 4 quarters together to upset Boyd and send them home in the first round?

Rose Hill - Rose Hill has one win on the season, and it was no secret that both Ashland and Boyd would have preferred to win the coin toss and get this one out of the gate, essentially guaranteeing a trip to Morehead. However, it needs to be said that first year head coach Justin Maynard has his kids playing better as the year has progressed. They've developed as a team and have improved. Not yet ready for prime time competition, but headed in the right direction.

How We See It
Ashland should cruise past Rose Hill obviously in the first round. Barring a significant upset, Boyd should win the nightcap against Fairview setting up a rubber match for all the marbles in the district. A district championship will be vital for seeding and making a run at a regional title.

Prediction: Ashland 68 Boyd 64 for the district title.

By Tom Terrific
Ashland should win this district unless Rose Hill gets another OJ Mayo type player before the district.
FIRST Wrote:Ashland should win this district unless Rose Hill gets another OJ Mayo type player before the district.

1) Looks like to me , Ashland beat every one to the punch and went out and landed the big transfer in the off season.

2) I Wouldn"t count The County out so easily.

3) I dont think this Rose Hill team would win the district with O J Mayo

4)Without the above mentioned transfer, Ashland would not make it out of the region this year
Really depends on which BC team decides to show up, I've seen games they can't be stopped and others where the velcro on the hands is just a little too sticky and throw in bad shot selection on top of that, well.. Next week will be very interesting to say the least, they have to get past Fairview for the third time too, 3 times with one team in one season is tough!
Blacktop Wrote:1) Looks like to me , Ashland beat every one to the punch and went out and landed the big transfer in the off season.

2) I Wouldn"t count The County out so easily.

3) I dont think this Rose Hill team would win the district with O J Mayo

4)Without the above mentioned transfer, Ashland would not make it out of the region this year

1) Boyd's best player is a transfer
2) I agree 100%
3) If Rose Hill added a player who is averaging close to 20 a game in the NBA they would win the district
4) Really? That's a bold statement. Without their best player they wouldn't win the region. Well Duh!
Leaping Lee Wrote:1) Boyd's best player is a transfer
2) I agree 100%
3) If Rose Hill added a player who is averaging close to 20 a game in the NBA they would win the district
4) Really? That's a bold statement. Without their best player they wouldn't win the region. Well Duh!

Mr Lee

1) You are correct.Boyd county"s transfer sat out a year to legally transfer.
2) Im glad you agree
3) I was insinuating O J when he was playing in high school.
4) I miss-typed . I meant district.
Blacktop Wrote:Mr Lee

1) You are correct.Boyd county"s transfer sat out a year to legally transfer.
2) Im glad you agree
3) I was insinuating O J when he was playing in high school.
4) I miss-typed . I meant district.

1) A legal transfer is legal whether you sit out or not.
2) No problem
3) I understand
4) I would probably disagree. What if Fairview didn't have their transfers?
Leaping Lee Wrote:1) A legal transfer is legal whether you sit out or not.
2) No problem
3) I understand
4) I would probably disagree. What if Fairview didn't have their transfers?

4) Without Transfers,I'd still take Fairview. Dixson scores 35-45% of Ashland's points depending on the night.
Blacktop Wrote:4) Without Transfers,I'd still take Fairview. Dixson scores 35-45% of Ashland's points depending on the night.

So you would take Fairview with out the King brothers?
By the way Ashland averages 70 points a game and Dixson averages 19. Not quiet 35-45% but don't let the facts get in the way of a good arguement.
Leaping Lee Wrote:So you would take Fairview with out the King brothers?

looking at the other players on both teams, probably a coin toss.
Leaping Lee Wrote:By the way Ashland averages 70 points a game and Dixson averages 19. Not quiet 35-45% but don't let the facts get in the way of a good arguement.

Those averages are for the year I would suspect. 27%. of total team production.

I said 'depending on the game'. And he has averaged in the range I stated in certain games.

My argument is fine. Dont know what a "ARGUEMENT" is.