Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Outlook, Notes, Predictions for your team in 2013
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lets hear the outlook for your team this year. Any intersting prospects to watch for, predictions?
I look for my Indians to show a lot of improvement on offense this year. There is a lot more power in this 2013 lineup (Santana, Reynolds, Kipnis) and some good hitters such as Swisher, Brantley, and of course Cabrera. It'll be interesting to see what we can get out of Chisenhall and Stubbs. Perhaps a Reds fan can give me a better outlook on Stubbs. Unfortunately what I hope can develop into a pretty good offense will be negated by a bad pitching staff. Masterson, when healthy, has showed flashes of being a great ground ball pitcher but struggled in '12. If he returns to how we've seen we will be set. Ubaldo had one good little-over-half of a season, so he worries me a bit. Especially considering what we gave up for him, but regardless after those two it drops off drastically. Zach McAllister is a young guy who has shown some brilliance, so we can hope for the best out of him. Brett Myers will likely be the 4th starter, and just about every starter in the organization vying for the 5th spot. The strength of course will be the bullpen, headed by the Smith-Pestano-Perez bullpen that led to the Tribe being something like 20-4 when those three closed it out for them last year. UNBELIEVABLE. Then you have young hard throwing Cody Allen. The middle relief is what hurt, hopefully Nick Hagadone (coming off of a ridiculous non-baseball injury) can turn that around. Dude throws fire, seen it up close and personally.

Prospects: Francisco Lindor (SS), Trevor Bauer (SP), Dorssys Paulino (SS), Tyler Naquin (OF), Cody Allen (RP), Ronny Rodriquez (SS-2B), Tony Wolters (2B), Jose Ramirez (2B)

Notice a trend? A whole hell of a lot of middle infielders. Lindor is the best defensive player of them all. He's also younger than me. I'm 19. He will continue to develop and then eventually either cause an Asdrubal Cabrera move, or we'll trade him for some starters. A projected lineup card for the future suggests Paulino will be at 3B, with Lindor at SS, Cabrera at 2nd, and Kipnis at 2nd. That's the issue there, Chisenhall-Cabrera-Kipnis are relatively young and Kipnis/Chisenhall have been the highlight of the farm system for a while. Some of those guys may eventually be traded/moved because the Tribe is loaded with infielders. Lindor (#17 prospect in baseball, I believe) is the one I'm most excited about.

Trevor Bauer was the best deal of that Choo trade, #14 prospect in baseball (I may have Lindor's number switched with his, they're some combo of 14/17) he could be exactly what the Tribe needs, a starter. GM thinks he needs some more time to develop so I'd be extremely surprised if he made the opening day roster.

Finally, Manny Acta's non aggressive ways are gone and it's time to see what the Tribe can do under 2 time WS champ Terry Francona. This year will be a good start and I predict over-500, however the Tigers win the division and there's too many Rangers/Angels, A's, Mariners, Yankees, Orioles, Blue Jays, Rays in the AL for the wild card to be attained. I would like to hope the Tribe has a good year, brings in some pitching, and maybe we see the playoffs in 2014.

2013 lineup:

CF Brantley
2B Kipnis
SS Cabrera
RF Swisher
C Santana (Pitchers will have to pitch to Carlos here, could be a big +)
1B Reynolds
3B Chisenhall
DH McGuiness
LF Stubbs

Also worth noting that DH spot will do a ton of rotating and I can't guarantee the Tribe don't sign Thome for leadership/to hit there. Mike Aviles can play 2B/SS/3B so figure him in the lineup some days with Chis/Kip/Drubal at DH. The only change is, I don't know if I can see McGuiness hitting there. In fact that was the only portion of all this I had to look up, because I didn't know who was even projected to hit there.
Everything above is half wrong now... Thanks Michael Bourn!
But I'm not complaining, what an addition!
Just saw the news about his signing about an hour ago.
As far as Stubbs goes great speed on the bases if he can get on had a bad year at the plate last year, stuck out a whole lot last year and had trouble putting the ball in play. In the out field better than average arm and glove.
2012 stats

Ba 213
Sb 30
Hr 14
RBI 40
Obp 277
Ops 610
Slg 333
R 75
H 105
Hope this helps you out
^^^ 105 Hits! Thats rough for an everyday starter!!
^^^ Even worse OPS 277 ouch!!!

Great kid! I hope he can turn things around in Cleveland!!

Ouestion? When are they going to move Santana to 1B???
2013 Cincinnati Reds!

Im gonna say the bullpen is going to be another strong point for the Reds this season!!!

Bullpen

RHP J.J. Hoover
RHP Nick Masset
LHP Bill Bray
LHP Manny Parra
SU LHP Sean Marshall
CL RHP Jonathan Broxton

I still think this is a solid bunch without Aroldis Champman!!!
Predictions

Lineup

1. Shin Soo Choo - .287 - 16 - 69
2. Brandon Phillips - .308 - 18 - 82
3. Joey Votto - .343 - 32 - 112
4. Ryan Ludwick - .272 - 23 - 79
5. Jay Bruce - .277 - 38 - 105
6. Zack Cozart - .286 - 11 - 72
7. Todd Frazier - .296 - 19 - 86
8. Ryan Hanigan - .302 - 8 - 49

Bench
Chris Heisey - .276 - 10 - 36
Devin Mesoraco - .258 - 10 - 37
Santana plays 1B and DH on his days off behind the plate, but he does well back there and until he gets older he will likely be a catcher.

Stubbs is just the odd man out unless Reynolds moves to DH, Swisher to first which is possible. Hopefully some pressure comes off of Stubbs batting 9th. Stubbs/Bourn/Brantley would be gap-hitter's nightmare in the outfielder, just incredible defense.

I think year could be a turn around for Santana. Not having to come after him caused him to swing at some bad pitches and have a very average year, but with guys like Swisher in front of him that can get on, and guys like Reynolds and Brantley behind him they won't be able to afford to chance walking Santana.

I heard the Indians are lookin into Lohse, not sure about that... at all.
Kyle Lohse would be a great pick up for the tribe!
I believe the Indians will be a good ball club this year!! I would say they will compete but the A.L. Central is loaded!!! But they could very well pick up a wild card spot!!!
Great Manager in Francona!!!!!

Predictions

A.L. Central

1. Detroit - (95-67)
2. Kansas City - (90-72)
3. Cleveland - (89-73)
4. Chicago - (80-82)
Stubbs might be trade bait now...
I just heard that the Tribe was signing Dis K Matz!!!
Yeah the news is that Drew Stubbs & Michael Brantley are on the trading block!!!
Can't see that. Would rather have a Stubbs/Bourn/Brantley OF with Swish at 1B and Reynolds at DH. Incredibly fast outfield. If anyone goes I hope it's Stubbs, we'd be ridiculous to keep him over Brantley.
Agreed, Brantley still has more upside IMO.
Brantley is a good average hitter, flexible in where he can bat (leadoff, two hole, did fantastic at 6th) and a good glove. Stubbs strike outs wouldn't be an issue, but Bourn and Reynolds are gonna do a lot of that and they're both (in different respective ways) better than him.

Man, I'm getting really worked up over Trevor Bauer. First the garbage with Montero in the media, then this rap song bullcrap? Not to mention his warm-up scares the shit out of me... have you guys watched it? If not, YouTube search 'Trevor Bauer long toss' ... I don't see what that can help!!
Man Bauer will make you nervous for as long as he is in Cleveland! Thats just the way he is. But he has so much talent. Kind of trumps the attitude!!!

I think if there is a trade that is going to happen. Both Brantley & Stubbs are going to be package deals. Cause no team is going to take just Stubbs. And Cleveland is just not going to give up Brantley and have to play Stubbs!!! Package Deal If Dealt!!!!
Anymore news on Kyle Lohse???
i cant wait till spring training starts!!!!
Curveball 24 Wrote:Man Bauer will make you nervous for as long as he is in Cleveland! Thats just the way he is. But he has so much talent. Kind of trumps the attitude!!!

I think if there is a trade that is going to happen. Both Brantley & Stubbs are going to be package deals. Cause no team is going to take just Stubbs. And Cleveland is just not going to give up Brantley and have to play Stubbs!!! Package Deal If Dealt!!!!

No chance. If Stubbs is dealt, just puts Swisher back in the OF and you search a DH, if you trade both that gives you Bourn, Swisher, and an ideal utility man like Francisco or Ezekiel Carrera in the OF, just not what you're looking for. Brantley is a guy who needs to be kept.
They where talking highly of Cleveland on MLB network! Said that they could be in hunt for a wild card spot!!!
Curveball 24 Wrote:They where talking highly of Cleveland on MLB network! Said that they could be in hunt for a wild card spot!!!

Since March and April are usually the only times of the year I get to be optimistic, to hell with a wild card! We're coming after Detroit, we went 18-10 against them last year with a not-as-talented team!
I'm just glad the Tribe got rid of the two biggest injury cancers in Hafner and Sizemore. Hopefully they can groom some stability now and count on everyday players. As Chuck would say "go Tribe"
TigerBlues Wrote:I'm just glad the Tribe got rid of the two biggest injury cancers in Hafner and Sizemore. Hopefully they can groom some stability now and count on everyday players. As Chuck would say "go Tribe"

1000000% percent.
When those guys were healthy they were great, but hinging your franchise on two guys who were as uncertain to whether they'd even play is a recipe for disappointment.
Cincinnati signing Choo was huge. The leadoff spot killed them last year, and Choo is a .280+ hitter and gets on base A LOT. Cinci will win around 100 games, and will cruise in the NL Central. As far as your Indians, those guys had a great off season with everyone they signed, but most of all, they signed great clubhouse guys and they will gel, especially with Francona. Great off-season. I just want 82+ wins for my Bucs lol..Another team to look out for is Kansas City. As good as Cleveland's off season was, KC's might have been the best in baseball, based on what they signed in pitching alone. Gonna be a great season!!
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Cincinnati signing Choo was huge. The leadoff spot killed them last year, and Choo is a .280+ hitter and gets on base A LOT. Cinci will win around 100 games, and will cruise in the NL Central. As far as your Indians, those guys had a great off season with everyone they signed, but most of all, they signed great clubhouse guys and they will gel, especially with Francona. Great off-season. I just want 82+ wins for my Bucs lol..Another team to look out for is Kansas City. As good as Cleveland's off season was, KC's might have been the best in baseball, based on what they signed in pitching alone. Gonna be a great season!!

Reds better get Choo out of center fast though. He cannot play Center Field. Unfortunately I'd say he's only in Cinci for a year. Yeah hopefully the Indians at least make a push. I'd LOVE to see the Pirates make the playoffs!
Choo has been good in CF so far in Spring Training.