Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Southwestern 2013 Schedule
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Aug 23, 13 Corbin 6:30 PM
Aug 30, 13 Knox Central 6:30 PM
Sep 6, 13 Somerset home 8:30 PM
Sep 20, 13 Wayne County home 7:30 PM
Sep 27, 13 North Laurel away 7:30 PM
Oct 4, 13 Madison Southern home 7:30 PM
Oct 11, 13 South Laurel home 7:30 PM
Oct 18, 13 Lincoln County away 7:30 PM
Oct 25, 13 Pulaski County away 7:30 PM
Nov 1, 13 Barren County away 8:00 PM
Should be a good year. The last three years middle school champs are now juniors down. Start the year off w two 3a schools a 2a and a 4a. With a down district except for Pulaski who is a rival and should be a toss up.
CAN'T GET RIGHT Wrote:Should be a good year. The last three years middle school champs are now juniors down. Start the year off w two 3a schools a 2a and a 4a. With a down district except for Pulaski who is a rival and should be a toss up.

Aren't there very few of those juniors still playing football? This was a very poorly coached football team last season. If they haven't changed their defensive scheme they could be looking at an 0-4 start depending on what Corbin has returning.
Really tough schedule this year for the Warriors.
I thought the Coach was trying to soften his schedule? Lots of talent in the system, lets see if they play and how.
Looks like a tough non district schedule.
CAN'T GET RIGHT Wrote:Should be a good year. The last three years middle school champs are now juniors down. Start the year off w two 3a schools a 2a and a 4a. With a down district except for Pulaski who is a rival and should be a toss up.
The middle school champs you are talking about will be freshman and 8th graders this year.
There are several players who will be juniors and sophomores this fall who won the KYMSFA 8th grade state championship in 2010. There are also some from that team that no longer play football.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Aug 23, 13 Corbin 6:30 PM Loss
Aug 30, 13 Knox Central 6:30 PM Loss
Sep 6, 13 Somerset home 8:30 PM Loss
Sep 20, 13 Wayne County home 7:30 PM Loss
Sep 27, 13 North Laurel away 7:30 PM Loss
Oct 4, 13 Madison Southern home 7:30 PM Loss
Oct 11, 13 South Laurel home 7:30 PM Win
Oct 18, 13 Lincoln County away 7:30 PM Loss
Oct 25, 13 Pulaski County away 7:30 PM Loss
Nov 1, 13 Barren County away 8:00 PM
win
What happen, that some of the kids did not stay with Football?
hey RIUTG, how did you get this??
Norm Peterson Wrote:Aren't there very few of those juniors still playing football? This was a very poorly coached football team last season. If they haven't changed their defensive scheme they could be looking at an 0-4 start depending on what Corbin has returning.

Or, they just let these same kids get a year older, bigger, faster, stronger and get better at what they are doing.
2ndandshort Wrote:hey RIUTG, how did you get this??

Some teams have already posted there schedule on khsaa.org under the scoreboard.
You have to select your teams 2012 schedule before you can look at the 2013 schedule in the drag down bar.

I posted the ones so far that i knew would get some conversation, there are a few others who have posted there schedule but i didnt put it up, like Estill, and Clinton.

Keep and eye out for the schedules. Teams should be submitting them throughout the next month.
Ill try to stay updated and check it every so often to see if any new teams come out with there schedule.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Or, they just let these same kids get a year older, bigger, faster, stronger and get better at what they are doing.

Unless they suddenly develop into a whole group of Division I athletes there is no way that they can succeed playing that defensive scheme...
Old Henry Man Wrote:What happen, that some of the kids did not stay with Football?

I'm not sure what caused the mass exodus of players but it was reported on here that Southwestern had less than 30 players dressed for their season finale last year. If true, that is an incredibly low number for a 5A school.
GetChili Wrote:Really tough schedule this year for the Warriors.

Looks a little more watered down than usual to me. But I must say that I expected there to be some more lower tier teams than what is on it.
Norm Peterson Wrote:Unless they suddenly develop into a whole group of Division I athletes there is no way that they can succeed playing that defensive scheme...

Which is what? Honest question. I have no idea what Southwestern bases out of on defense.

3-4, 5-2 (true 5-2),4-3, 4-2-5, 4-4, 5-3, 3-5-3, 3-3 Stack??

Single gap defense? Two gapping odd front from the 3 or 5 man fronts above? Man to man in the secondary? Zone coverage? Blitz like crazy? Play base up?
Penetrating or play along the LOS?
Are there any teams that still use the old school defense of lineman doing nothing but chopping the offensive lineman down so the backers can make the plays?
I havent seen that since i was in school
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Are there any teams that still use the old school defense of lineman doing nothing but chopping the offensive lineman down so the backers can make the plays?

Rockcastle does and have for ever since I know.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Which is what? Honest question. I have no idea what Southwestern bases out of on defense.

3-4, 5-2 (true 5-2),4-3, 4-2-5, 4-4, 5-3, 3-5-3, 3-3 Stack??

Single gap defense? Two gapping odd front from the 3 or 5 man fronts above? Man to man in the secondary? Zone coverage? Blitz like crazy? Play base up?
Penetrating or play along the LOS?

Honestly, I'm not sure what to call it. Last year, in the two games that I saw, they lined up in press coverage on the wideouts, put everyone else in the box and had no safeties. If you broke the line of scrimmage or got a receiver free over the middle they had to catch you from behind. It looked like a little league defensive scheme. And since the assistants had been little league coaches the year before it probably was.
D sounds like a recipe for disaster.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Are there any teams that still use the old school defense of lineman doing nothing but chopping the offensive lineman down so the backers can make the plays?

You should of seen it alot the past few years.We do that at Harlan Co.
DaBears Wrote:You should of seen it alot the past few years.We do that at Harlan Co.

Its nothing like what im talking about.
West 80 Wrote:Rockcastle does and have for ever since I know.

They did last year and also in middlemschool
E's Army Wrote:D sounds like a recipe for disaster.

It was. They gave up 33 points per game last season.
How many starters did they lose from the Semi Final team of '11?
^^The reason I ask the above, is because, I know of a school (smaller classification than Southwestern) that had the following Def. Pts given up:

'10- 30.6/game
'11- 25.3/game
'12- 19.6/game

This same team had roughly 8-10 of these defensive players who also played offense. They literally never came off the field. Guess what the difference in each year was? In '10, they were Sophmores. 2011 they were juniors. 2012? You guessed it.

Is 19.6 even lights out? No. But in comparison, our 2A and 4A State Champions both gave up more than 15/game. Truth be told, if you aren't two platooning and/or just that much more athletically dominant than who you are playing, allowing less than 21 pts/game IMO is doing pretty dang well.

Point is, if Southwestern had a bunch of sophomores (or very few, if any seniors) on defense, then I wouldn't worry all that much.
It's not the players its the scheme...I watched every SW game this year. If you are playing man coverage with no safety help, you better get to the QB..SW couldn't and wasn't... Truth be told if LCC could catch a ball, they beat SW to. I guess we will see as the years come but if the scheme doesn't change I expect the same out comes.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:^^The reason I ask the above, is because, I know of a school (smaller classification than Southwestern) that had the following Def. Pts given up:

'10- 30.6/game
'11- 25.3/game
'12- 19.6/game

This same team had roughly 8-10 of these defensive players who also played offense. They literally never came off the field. Guess what the difference in each year was? In '10, they were Sophmores. 2011 they were juniors. 2012? You guessed it.

Is 19.6 even lights out? No. But in comparison, our 2A and 4A State Champions both gave up more than 15/game. Truth be told, if you aren't two platooning and/or just that much more athletically dominant than who you are playing, allowing less than 21 pts/game IMO is doing pretty dang well.

Point is, if Southwestern had a bunch of sophomores (or very few, if any seniors) on defense, then I wouldn't worry all that much.

It wasn't the players maturity. They had no chance to succeed in that scheme.
This really just boils down to a few major issues that brought on last years results, and will more than likely continue going forward.

1. Over all lack of football knowledge displayed by the staff.
(Defensive issues previously mentioned should cover that one.)

2. Over all lack of preparation.
(I wonder, when was the last time the kids saw a scouting report?)

3. Over all absence of the basic football fundamentals being taught.

Say what you will. You may just think I am being critical, but keep this in mind: the only kids left from that semi-final team (except 2) will graduate this May. From now on, kids will have to attempt to learn how to play the game facing the above issues.

Someone asked earlier why numbers dwindled below 30 for the last game of the season. Kids are a lot smarter than we give them credit for sometimes. If you don't think they see the issues I mentioned, you are sadly mistaken. It is for these reasons the program is viewed by the student population as a waste of time.

Again, you probably just think that I am being critical. I invite you to ask someone close to the program (i.e. parent, coach, player) how many kids are spending time in the weight room this off season. The answer may surprise you.
Pages: 1 2 3