Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 5th Congressional District
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As everyone knows, Congressman Hal Rogers will probably retire within the next 3-6 years. Most people agree he has been a valuable legislator for East KY and probably has had more to do with the conservative swing of east KY than anything national.

With that said, who waits in the wings to take his spot? Will it be a seasoned politician or perhaps a newer young face with some political skill?

Lets hear your thoughts?

For me:

3 Democratic possibilities - State Senator Ray Jones, State Rep Rocky Adkins, House Speaker Greg Stumbo.

3 Republicans possibilities- State Senator Brandon Smith, State Senator Chris Girdler, State, Grayson Smith (Employee for Congressman Rogers)
I do not consider Hal Rogers a conservative. He is a big spending Republican who has hung onto his seat by bringing home as much bacon as any liberal Democrat that I can think of except Carl Perkins. The last time that I voted for a Democrat for national office was for Hal Rogers' opponent in 1992. I am not sure that a conservative Republican could carry the district, and that is a shame. It is unlikely that I will ever vote for another Democrat at the national level, but I really hated casting all those votes for Rogers.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I do not consider Hal Rogers a conservative. He is a big spending Republican who has hung onto his seat by bringing home as much bacon as any liberal Democrat that I can think of except Carl Perkins. The last time that I voted for a Democrat for national office was for Hal Rogers' opponent in 1992. I am not sure that a conservative Republican could carry the district, and that is a shame. It is unlikely that I will ever vote for another Democrat at the national level, but I really hated casting all those votes for Rogers.

I wondered if anyone felt the same about Rogers. RINO that smells like a cured ham.
Ole Hal seems to be a big hit around this area, and people are dumb enough to believe hes a conservative.
Hell, theyve names 400 things after him.
Mike Duncan former chair of the Republican Party. He is the next in line. Also you have to throw your hat to Sara Beth Gregory. She has moved right up the ladder and in the special election was financed heavily by McConnell and Rogers.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ole Hal seems to be a big hit around this area, and people are dumb enough to believe hes a conservative.
Hell, theyve names 400 things after him.

I really wish they would rename the Hal Rogers Parkway back to the Daniel Boone Parkway. I take that everytime I come back.
MCDADDY Wrote:As everyone knows, Congressman Hal Rogers will probably retire within the next 3-6 years. Most people agree he has been a valuable legislator for East KY and probably has had more to do with the conservative swing of east KY than anything national.

With that said, who waits in the wings to take his spot? Will it be a seasoned politician or perhaps a newer young face with some political skill?

Lets hear your thoughts?

For me:

3 Democratic possibilities - State Senator Ray Jones, State Rep Rocky Adkins, House Speaker Greg Stumbo.

3 Republicans possibilities- State Senator Brandon Smith, State Senator Chris Girdler, State, Grayson Smith (Employee for Congressman Rogers)

I agreee with this statement. I also saw though that there are 20K more democrats than republicans, in the 5th congressional.
I feel that Brandon Smith is Hal's choosen heir. Hal has been grooming him for the position. I have consistently voted against Rogers. He is put on the "most corrupt politicians" list by numerous publications every year. He is not a conservative and does not represent the majority of the 5th congressional.

The all time classic Roger's moment was when he gave the $26,000. Jack Abramoff donated to his re-election campaign and gave it to UNITE. I thought UNITE was his re-election campaign.
tvtimeout Wrote:I really wish they would rename the Hal Rogers Parkway back to the Daniel Boone Parkway. I take that everytime I come back.

Hahaha, I still call it the Daniel Boone.