Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: 15th Region: District Standings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
57th District
Sheldon Clark 4-0
Johnson Central 3-2
Paintsville 2-2
Magoffin County 1-3
Lawrence County 1-4

58th District
Prestonsburg 5-0
Betsy Layne 3-1
Allen Central 1-3
South Floyd 0-5

59th District
Pikeville 2-0
Shelby Valley 1-1
East Ridge 0-2

60th District
Pike Central 2-0
Belfry 2-1
Phelps 0-3
Thanks
The King Wrote:57th District
Sheldon Clark 4-0
Johnson Central 3-2
Paintsville 2-2
Magoffin County 1-3
Lawrence County 1-4

58th District
Prestonsburg 5-0
Betsy Layne 3-1
Allen Central 1-3
South Floyd 0-5

59th District
Pikeville 2-0
Shelby Valley 1-1
East Ridge 0-2

60th District
Pike Central 2-0
Belfry 2-1
Phelps 0-3

Thanks for the info. But if this doesn't show people why redistricting is needed, nothing does. Just look at the 59th and 60th, then look at the 57th. I'm not whining or crying, just stating the facts. One of the Floyd County schools should slip down to the 59th or 60th, one of the 57th should slide down as well, but if I'm not mistaken South Floyd and Allen Central will be consolidating soon, right? If that's the case, then things will get even more "uneven" with the 57th have 5 teams, and the rest of the region with 3 teams.
It does need sorted out by a non-interested third party. All the politics and whining to the rear.
lchsalumnus Wrote:Thanks for the info. But if this doesn't show people why redistricting is needed, nothing does. Just look at the 59th and 60th, then look at the 57th. I'm not whining or crying, just stating the facts. One of the Floyd County schools should slip down to the 59th or 60th, one of the 57th should slide down as well, but if I'm not mistaken South Floyd and Allen Central will be consolidating soon, right? If that's the case, then things will get even more "uneven" with the 57th have 5 teams, and the rest of the region with 3 teams.

This has been the complaint from everyone else but Pike Co.

Pike Co. - 6 teams = 4 spots
Rest of Region - 9 Teams = 4 spots

All "A" and 15th Tourney held in Pike Co. EVERY year.

YEP that's fair.:eyeroll:
This will be very unpopular to some but I don't give a @#&%. The way I see it is strictly geographically. Magoffin to the Prestonsburg district and Betsy Layne to Pikeville district.
^Heck Paintsville has volunteered many times to make the jump. But, they want us to stay up here and continue beat the heck out of each other, while they cost into the Region every year.
OffTheHook Wrote:This has been the complaint from everyone else but Pike Co.

Now, to be fair, before the Expo center agreed to be the host spot, the 15th tourney rotated really well. Now, the agreement is that the Expo will be the SITE of the tourney, but the districts will rotate who is "host" each year (meaning they get a little more of the gate). Last year it was the 60th, and the two years before that it was the 57th and 58th. I see your complaint due to it actually being located in Pike County, but the districts benefit. Simple fact is, the Expo center is a FANTASTIC facility for basketball, not hardly a bad seat in the house, and all the kids are fortunate to be able to play in this facility. There is ample parking within a very reasonable distance, and the prices are about in line with what they would be at a school gymnasium. This link here shows the history of the regional host sites: http://khsaa.org/httpdocs/basketball/dis...istory.pdf

If you have an issue with site of the 15th and the 15th All A, take it up with your athletic director and coaches, they all have a say in it too. I think it is just pure logistics that allows them all to agree on the Expo center each year, and I happen to agree with it. On average, each year the 16 teams in the 15th region have pulled in over $4k from this whether or not they had a team in the regional tournament. Looking at the other regions on the financials link on KHSAA, very few match that, and the ones that do, usually are at arenas like Morehead (16th region) or WKU's Diddle Arena. Some regions (such as the 13th) do very well without it being at a larger facility due to the higher turnout, and/or maybe higher ticket prices (I'm guessing, not sure since I've not been to a 13th tourney). But all in all, money talks, and if a school can pull in $4k for their funds even if they aren't in the tourney versus pulling in $1100-$2k (that seems to be the avg range based on what I see reported), they will go for the $4k every time. Money talks, especially when funds are as tight as they are. Also, I see the 15th pays mileage to the teams that travel, other regions don't (maybe one or two others do) unless they do and just don't report it like the 15th does.

Not going to disagree with you all on the district splits, I've said it before and will say it again, there DOES need to be some sort of reworking done on it. I'm NOT in favor, for example, of Lawrence County being placed in the 59th or the 60th, due to the simple fact of geography. Wouldn't mind seeing Betsy Layne slide over into the 59th at all, I think it would make it even more fun.
OffTheHook Wrote:This has been the complaint from everyone else but Pike Co.

A couple of the teams from the Floyd County district should either move to the 59th or 60th. This would allow a team from the 57th to move to the 58th. It only makes sense. My guess is Henry Webb (Superintendent Floyd County & KHSAA Board of Control Member) will not allow the Floyd County Conference to be broken up.
As far as teams coming and going into districts go, is Wesley Christian planning on joining the KHSAA next year?
It's ridiculous and unfair that the 57th has 5 teams and they have two 3 team districts in pike county.
OffTheHook Wrote:^Heck Paintsville has volunteered many times to make the jump. But, they want us to stay up here and continue beat the heck out of each other, while they coast into the Region every year.

The 4th ranked team in the 57th (Magoffin County) just beat the number 1 team in the 58th (Prestonsburg).
Saw this posted on another thread: State to do away with districting and have the top 8 teams play for a regional title. This could eliminate the complaining of Pike Co. having as many teams in every year as the other 5 couties combined. For instance if it were that way this season the top 8 would probably be Paintsville, Lawrence Co., Johnson Cent., Sheldon Clark, Pikeville, Shelby Valley, Belfry and Betsy Layne.

JMO but I like this idea.
^me too lol !
How would it be ranked if they took the top 8 teams in each region? Many teams play different schools in the region and also outside the region. I personally believe the the format we now have will not change however it is good to see different views. KHSAA can't deal with transfers and cheerleaders let alone getting into this. Lot of good ideas though that are posted here.
clipperw Wrote:As far as teams coming and going into districts go, is Wesley Christian planning on joining the KHSAA next year?
Jack is happy with the way things are and has no plans to even try joining the KHSAA. I think he wants to eventually have a prep school at Wesley
Wyatt Earp Wrote:How would it be ranked if they took the top 8 teams in each region? Many teams play different schools in the region and also outside the region. I personally believe the the format we now have will not change however it is good to see different views. KHSAA can't deal with transfers and cheerleaders let alone getting into this. Lot of good ideas though that are posted here.

Every team has to play at least once which would be 15 games of your schedule. Then you go by head to head records and strength of schedule. Based on rankings you put 1 against 8, 2 against 7 and so on.... This would create a great tournament with the best teams. As is, you will have someone from the 58th and 60th that isn't in the top 10 of the region making the tournament.

I know its a long shot and probably may never happen but in my opinion it would create more excitement, make all games and schedules mean something and may even generate more money for those wanting to see competitive basketball.
I think everyone knows that this whole 15th region format sucks. You have 5 teams in the 57th district battling for 2 spots in the 15th region tournament, whereas the other district only have 3 teams competing for 2 teams in it. It sucks and it's stupid, because every year you will have teams out of the 57th district sitting at home know they could compete in the regional tournament. I think we all can agree that other then the 57th disitrct teams,that Pikeville, Shelby Valley, Betsy Layne, and maybe East Ridge or Belfry can compete. What do you guys think?
It varies by year. Some years the 59/60th is the best. Recently it has been the 57th. Sometimes it is the 58th.

As far as having it at the EXPO, I'm not a huge fan BUT the PARKING and GYM LOCATIONS in this region are terrible.

No one wants to go to East Ridge, South Floyd, Lawrence, Sheldon Clark or Magoffin Co. to play the region tourney.