Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: South Laurel 77 Corbin 75
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final score in 2 OT's . Great game and atmosphere at South Laurel with a full house to watch this one. Game was tied 75-75 in second OT , less than 10 seconds left and Corbin ball when South's Rader came up with a huge steal and kicked the ball to Sanders who found a wide open Schaser with a great look for the game winning layup at the buzzer. Sanders finished with 20 to lead South and Baxter added 17 and Schaser 12. Corbin was led by Igo with 17 and Maguet with 14.
Man...the 13th is absolutely WIDE OPEN!

Congrats SL.
I believe South and Corbin have as much talent as anyone in the 13th region. It will be interesting to see how the district will play out.
The Cards break a 15 game losing streak to Corbin. Sanders makes a huge difference for SL.
South and Corbin aren't as talented as Clay, North, Harlan and probably even Jackson. But the 13th is wide open.
South needs to put it together and quit the up and down play. They lose to Whitley Co on friday while scoring 36 points and come back on Saturday and lose a 2 OT game 71-70 to a Harrison Co team that is as good if not better than anyone in the 13th region. South Laurel looked very good tonight and Sanders was great all night They are a totally different team with him back now.
Congrats SL
It blows my mind that South can get beat by Whitley, and pretty much never had a chance in the game from playing so poorly, to beating Corbin tonight.

Screw the region being wide open, this district is. Lets no forget Wburg still has two games with Whitley and one with the other two i believe.

Going to be interesting to see how this one turns out.
I must say this was one of the most exciting games of the year! South Laurel, getting Sanders, back is a big plus for South. Sanders is one of the coolest PG under pressure handled the ball and kept South really settled under Corbin's presure. He really showed great composure in the game and took control of the game in OT.
15 straight losses to Corbin. Wow that is hard to believe.
there were several kids that made a big impact for south, slavey picks up his 4th. foul and a technical early in the 3rd.corbin did a good job shutting baxter down in the second half.miller made some big shots down the stretch for south.the 3 by sanders in the second ot was huge,blake`s ability to handle the ball made corbin`s pressure defense a non factor.
E's Army Wrote:15 straight losses to Corbin. Wow that is hard to believe.

Actually only 11, I forgot that SL beat Corbin in the 08-09 season once out of the 5 times they met that year. Corbin won the first regular season game, again in the CFIT, lost the next one before beating them in the district and region finals.
Corbin is by far the best coached team in the 50th and maybe the whole region. This is also by far the least talented Corbin team I have seen maybe since the late 70s or early to med 80s.

South is a totally different team with Sanders in the line up which was the difference in the game between Whitley and the game with Corbin.

Speaking of Whitley, Overbay is doing a great job with not a lot to work with. His younger kids are harder workers and may be a dark horse in the district to make the region and even make some noise there, although they would need to get on a hot streak.

Williamsburg is very talented but struggles with the Xs and Os, as they appear to get out coached in many games.

When Corbin is hitting from the outside they are near unbeatable but they are (pardon the pun) hit and miss. South has all the pieces to be a solid team but can't seem to put it all together. I think the rest of the season is going to be very interesting from a fan stand point.

I think the 50th is even, I think Williamsburg could be the wild card when it comes to tournament time, but it will take more than their two big scorers to carry them.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:Corbin is by far the best coached team in the 50th and maybe the whole region. This is also by far the least talented Corbin team I have seen maybe since the late 70s or early to med 80s.

South is a totally different team with Sanders in the line up which was the difference in the game between Whitley and the game with Corbin.

Speaking of Whitley, Overbay is doing a great job with not a lot to work with. His younger kids are harder workers and may be a dark horse in the district to make the region and even make some noise there, although they would need to get on a hot streak.

Williamsburg is very talented but struggles with the Xs and Os, as they appear to get out coached in many games.

When Corbin is hitting from the outside they are near unbeatable but they are (pardon the pun) hit and miss. South has all the pieces to be a solid team but can't seem to put it all together. I think the rest of the season is going to be very interesting from a fan stand point.

I think the 50th is even, I think Williamsburg could be the wild card when it comes to tournament time, but it will take more than their two big scorers to carry them.

The 50th district tourney is going to be fun, no easy games that I can see.
Corbin got lucky that Pietrowski has turned out to be the coach he is.
I honeslty never expected it. I though after Hicks left, Corbin would be set back, much like the football program is now, but there has really only been 3 or 4 years where Corbin got dominated by South and the rest of the Pietrowski era, except for a couple of upsets when it was a 7 team district, Corbin has dominated this district just as much.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:Corbin is by far the best coached team in the 50th and maybe the whole region. This is also by far the least talented Corbin team I have seen maybe since the late 70s or early to med 80s.

I agree Coach P is the best coach in district and maybe region.
Sanders makes a big difference for South but he did play in the Whitley game.
Overbey is doing fine but he starts 3 Sr's and 2 Jr's with a Fr and Soph coming off the bench.
Wburg is not that talented, have NO inside game offensively or defensively. They do only have 2 scores but they try and create to much off dribble. That is where the X and O's come in I guess.
Should be a fun tourney. Corbin still favorite with South 2nd. Burg and Whitley hoping to knock 1 or both off.
BriarCreekBrave Wrote:This is also by far the least talented Corbin team I have seen maybe since the late 70s or early to med 80s.

Corbin was horrible in the 85/86 season. If I remember correctly, Corbin only won a couple games that season. That was the year before Hicks became Corbin's coach. I remember Corbin being pretty good in the 83/84 season. They were SEKC co-champions with Clay County. Each team only lost one game in the conference. I don't remember who beat Clay Co that year but a very young and inexperienced Harlan team upset Corbin late in the season. After a bench clearing brawl at some point Corbin and Clay Co stopped playing each other didn't start playing each other again until the 87/88 season. The 87/88 Corbin/Clay Co game was a sellout. Every seat in Corbin's gym was taken before 5PM. I was told advance sold tickets were being scalped on the streets for $50. Clay Co won that game by 7 with Farmer, Chadwell and Co.
Corbin lost in six overtimes to Cumberland in the 84 regional tourney opening round.
Corbin wasn't very good in 86. They started turning it around the next year and were very good by 88.
Corbin had some really good talent in the late 80's and during the 90's. Coach Deaton after Hicks, also had some really good teams.
Coach P, is one of the best coach's in the 13th, his a class act.
Coach P, is one of the best coach's in the 13th, he's a class act.
footballfever Wrote:I agree Coach P is the best coach in district and maybe region.
Sanders makes a big difference for South but he did play in the Whitley game.
Overbey is doing fine but he starts 3 Sr's and 2 Jr's with a Fr and Soph coming off the bench.
Wburg is not that talented, have NO inside game offensively or defensively. They do only have 2 scores but they try and create to much off dribble. That is where the X and O's come in I guess.
Should be a fun tourney. Corbin still favorite with South 2nd. Burg and Whitley hoping to knock 1 or both off.

Sanders did play in the Whitley game, but he was used sparingly as he was just coming back from the injury. I dont think he played any in the 4th qtr. Grubb was still out for the Whitley game. Not excuses as Whitley just outhustled South in that game. I think South Laurel and Whitley will meet up in the 1st round of district but thats not set in stone yet.
LexBaller Wrote:Coach P, is one of the best coach's in the 13th, he's a class act.

I agree.........But I also was a doubter early on. Pietrowski has developed into a great coach . He's the perfect example of why alot of times patience pays off with young coaches.